Air rifles are weird.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Air rifles are weird.

Post by rc42 » 30 Apr 2020, 12:27 pm

Poison is a very cruel way to kill anything, a very slow and painful death that has no target control, anything that eats the poison dies, anything that then feeds on its body dies. Shooting is better in every way despite needing more effort.

The only place I would use poison is in the roof space of my house to control rodents when we occasionally get them. Shooting isn't practical there, even with an air rifle and they are not only an annoyance with noise at night but chewing electrical cables could burn the whole house down.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Apr 2020, 12:34 pm

rc42 wrote:Poison is a very cruel way to kill anything, a very slow and painful death that has no target control, anything that eats the poison dies, anything that then feeds on its body dies. Shooting is better in every way despite needing more effort.

The only place I would use poison is in the roof space of my house to control rodents when we occasionally get them. Shooting isn't practical there, even with an air rifle and they are not only an annoyance with noise at night but chewing electrical cables could burn the whole house down.

I shouldn’t post this but it is kinda funny.
A while ago, I complained to my Now departed Grand dad about rats in the roof. I could hear them scratching and running. I told him I was going to try and poison them and - he cracked it with me and said he’d get in the roof with an air rifle and shoot them. Not wanting to disappoint him I said yes.
So, a week later he comes out and we are having a couple of drinks when we hear the rats...needless to say, 7 sheets of colour bond had to be replaced the next day or so as the old fella stumbled around screaming and shooting at things that “just won’t stay Fuggen still!”
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 30 Apr 2020, 2:05 pm

funny story Tassie

l was given a 22 air rifle for my boy when he was younger from a farmer who had it when he was a young bloke
my boy shoots it occasionally but it is harder to shoot than his 22 or 17
what he prefers as an alternative to the air rifle is 6mm floberts or bb caps
they are very good for quiet work, l use them for pigeons and head shooting rabbits at no more than 35y
they work well but are exy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47pLfcSa1jk
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 02 May 2020, 1:48 pm

Have begun playing around with a Weirarch HW100 22cal that I bought last year.
Trigger is great, breaking clean at about 1.5lb, which aids in the accuracy department.
I'm learning from more experience airgunners that I'll get better accuracy if I use a light or soft grip/hold on these rifles. Certainly is a change from shooting my other rifles. At least I can cut sick in my backyard with this rifle, a sanity saver in this CV lockdown BS.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles