Opinions on the ruger rotary magazine

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Opinions on the ruger rotary magazine

Post by CrackThump » 14 Jan 2019, 12:35 pm

Hi all.. Long time listener, first time caller..

So. Tafe course is next week, im about to go layby my first rifle, Im seriouslt considering a new Ruger American in 22Lr, but after some googling I seem to be finding a lot of negative feedback on the rotary magazine. Does anyone have thoughts, experience, opinions on them ( or the american in general for targets and bunnies)
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Opinions on the ruger rotary magazine

Post by Stoney » 15 Jan 2019, 6:26 pm

CrackThump wrote:Hi all.. Long time listener, first time caller..

So. Tafe course is next week, im about to go layby my first rifle, Im seriouslt considering a new Ruger American in 22Lr, but after some googling I seem to be finding a lot of negative feedback on the rotary magazine. Does anyone have thoughts, experience, opinions on them ( or the american in general for targets and bunnies)

If it's the same mag as the 10\22 it should be bulletproof.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 15 Jan 2019, 6:39 pm

As above. Our old one was excellent
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by CAVEMAN » 15 Jan 2019, 7:01 pm

Excellent mag, and simple to load. Haven't had a drama in over a 1000 rounds in my Ruger american rimfire, and there a great little rifle.
Attachments
49503005_2184700935115493_1132724627055837184_n.jpg
49503005_2184700935115493_1132724627055837184_n.jpg (445.3 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 15 Jan 2019, 7:31 pm

I have 2 Ruger Americans in 22 magnum and 17 hmr. A mate has one in 22lr. Between us we have not experienced any issues with the magazine (or any other aspect of the rifles). The only problem is I don’t get to use them as often as I would like.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 15 Jan 2019, 7:33 pm

There great, eassy to load, flush fitting and beside the spring sometimes losing tension (easy fix) there fault free
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Shootermick » 15 Jan 2019, 7:36 pm

I’ve got a Ruger American in 22 mag, nine shot rotary magazine, works great, never had a problem, easy to load and fits flush with the stock, can’t fault it.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2019, 7:40 pm

CrackThump wrote:Hi all.. Long time listener, first time caller..

The magazines are excellent. I just find them fiddly to load and unload, and bulky to carry spares.
I have the Ruger American Compact and Target, and just got the Ruger Precision Rimfire last week. Can't help but love Ruger.
My first two really settled in approaching 1000rds, now they both maintain MoA to 100m. I haven't done any testing with the RPR yet, been mucking about with an air-rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 15 Jan 2019, 9:18 pm

I've owned my Ruger American .22 for a couple years now, and it simply hasn't skipped a beat. That includes the magazine as well, haven't had a single issue with it or the rifle. For the money you can't go wrong.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 16 Jan 2019, 7:26 am

The concept of a rotary magazine is fairly sound.
Apart from Ruger, the new Savage 22LR uses it, as do Steyr and Savage 99 centrefires, although the 99 is internal/captive.
Not aware of any of them being a problem
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2019, 4:35 pm

No1_49er wrote:The concept of a rotary magazine is fairly sound.
Apart from Ruger, the new Savage 22LR uses it, as do Steyr and Savage 99 centrefires, although the 99 is internal/captive.

The RPR 15rd mag doesn't appear to be rotary, although it does have a slight curl at the top, probably to facilitate feeding. I haven't pulled it apart yet but I think it's just a very bulky single-stack magazine like the BX25. There is a kit available that uses a sort of stripper clip with a BX25-style magazine. The stripper clip clips into the back of the magazine body. Pretty neat idea. https://riflemags.co.uk/hcmags-hc3r-gen-ii-tactical-kit-for-ruger-10-22/
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Jan 2019, 5:09 pm

Not sure where you have been reading that the rotary mags are bad... sounds like they might just be anti Ruger. Like many above, I've got a Ruger American in .22WRM, 9 shot rotary mag. Have yet to have any sort of failure with the magazine.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Milesy » 16 Jan 2019, 5:32 pm

Welcome CrackThump.
Nice Tag!
Ruger just keep doing it and we aren’t even over there!
Imagine if I could click my fingers and turn my Ruger American 22lr Bolt Action into a Ruger 10/22 plinker like every kid in let alone adult in NZ & USA.
What fun! Ah ah no fun in AUS.
BTW I’m pretty sure the Ruger 10/22 is not a weapon of Mass Destruction.
Perhaps we can look to Shooters Fishers Farmers at the next election. There is a couple of biggies coming up!
Anyway enough of that the RA 22lr is true and straight and cheap on loads.
Ruger American 223 Stainless
WW Greener Martini Action 12g
Ruger American 22lr Blued
Savage Mk11 BV 22lr
SHS STP 12g
Tikka T3X 308 Win SS Lite
Milesy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 16 Jan 2019, 9:37 pm

I had the lever.17HMR 9 shot rotary from new and never had a problem
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Faedy » 16 Jan 2019, 11:36 pm

got a couple of the ruger rotary mags - cant faulty them
My old ruger 10/22 did 30 + years on its first mag without any issues ever - I flood wash them with silicon spray every month or two - easy and cheap
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 17 Jan 2019, 10:56 am

I have 2 bx1's and cannot fault them, one gave me a little trouble a couple of years ago, and i actually made a thread on here about it, turned out the spring wasnt tight enough. Was easy fixed and hasn't once failed to feed since. The other came with my 10/22 i bought secondhand, would be around 30yr old and never misses a beat. I also have a bx15 and a bx25 and i seriously think the ruger mags are flawless
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bazooker » 17 Jan 2019, 11:34 am

No1_49er wrote:The concept of a rotary magazine is fairly sound.

And also the famous Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles, the M1903 Greek military rifle and later sporting rifles through to the late 60's I think. They were renowned for their exceedingly smooth action as rotary mags do not rub on the bottom of the bolt, as do box mag rifles.

Interesting reference re the Savage 99; if you get to look at a Ruger 96 lever gun (I have both), you can see where Bill Ruger took his inspiration from.

I have never heard of or never had a problem with a rotary magazine; but the word is not to disassemble them unless you have the know-how and equipment.

Baz
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Blutius Maximus » 20 Jan 2019, 5:25 am

I had a 10/22 back when we could. Never had a problem ever with the magazine.
If they're still made the same, it should be just as good.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by CrackThump » 20 Jan 2019, 4:20 pm

:) thanks for the feedback everyone.. youve basically made up my mind for me.

I finally managed to get into a couple of LFD's and have a feel and chat of the ruger, the shop staff said the same as you have, its pretty much a rock solid rifle for the money, and for some of the package deals on offer, Id be mad not to... :P

I think I jumped the gun though (pardon the pun) I got all excited and layby-ed a 12g Zabala.... I'll see y'all in the shotgun forum with more Noob questions. :P

Peace out.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles