CZ 452

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ 452

Post by Scottyboy » 16 Jan 2019, 4:13 pm

Hi all

Jus recently got my licence and a CZ452 22 cal
Got scope sighted in at 50 yards and shooting CCI standard getting good groups.
Tried CCI Stinger on the weekend and wasn’t even on paper. Is it normal to be such a difference between the two rounds. I know a bit of a difference between different ammo is expected but must have been at least 10 inches off the mark!

Cheers.
Scottyboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: CZ 452

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2019, 9:21 pm

Scottyboy wrote:Hi all

Jus recently got my licence and a CZ452 22 cal
Got scope sighted in at 50 yards and shooting CCI standard getting good groups.
Tried CCI Stinger on the weekend and wasn’t even on paper. Is it normal to be such a difference between the two rounds. I know a bit of a difference between different ammo is expected but must have been at least 10 inches off the mark!

Cheers.

Yes, it could be that far off zero. Try it at 25m first.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 17 Jan 2019, 9:23 am

It seems to be a common thread in Rimfire ammo; find the ammo specific for your gun, rather than buy what others recommend as being great ammo.

I had similar experience over Christmas with my CZ455; running the .17HMR barrel.

I had been using the CCI 17gn V-Max cartridges to sight it in, and also nail quite a few ferals, and thought I'd try some of the CCI 17Gn TNT cartridges, as reviews suggested they might have slightly better penetrating capability, over the V-Max.
Everything in the available info suggests they should shoot to pretty close to the same Point of Impact; out to a max of ~80 metres??
Same manufacturer, same MV, roughly same BC, and so I made the assumption they might be shooting close to same POI??

Yeahhhh....NO.
Nowhere close.
Very frustrating

Still waiting for the .22LR barrel to arrive, and in anticipation, a mate dropped off about 10 different boxes of cartridges, to add to the 6 different cartridges I have on hand.. He expects I might have to rattle through a few to find one that shoots the best..

So the OP's experience kinda matches what I've found, and have read about a number of times.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 17 Jan 2019, 10:16 am

Yep then add in the difference between stingers (high velocity) and standard velocity rounds and ya gonna get a very different poi. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Scottyboy » 17 Jan 2019, 3:29 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Didn’t realise the would be such a difference in POI.
Scottyboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Jan 2019, 3:45 pm

Scottyboy wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. Didn’t realise the would be such a difference in POI.

Stick with lead projectiles rather than copper washed too mate . Better accuracy and no barrel cleaning to speak off
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 17 Jan 2019, 6:43 pm

My 452 doesn’t mind stingers but hates remington yellowjackets. But then again everyone hates yellow jackets, possibly even remington.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 17 Jan 2019, 6:52 pm

deanp100 wrote:My 452 doesn’t mind stingers but hates remington yellowjackets. But then again everyone hates yellow jackets, possibly even remington.

:lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Scottyboy » 17 Jan 2019, 7:29 pm

Happy with CCI standard. Sub sonic. About 1070fps. It’s my first rifle and I give her a thorough clean after every time to the range. 100-200 rounds each time. Have heard that .22 don’t need cleaning too often. Am I doing more damage cleaning than I would just leaving dirty? Loving this forum, thanks guys and girls.
Scottyboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Jan 2019, 8:42 pm

Scottyboy wrote:Happy with CCI standard. Sub sonic. About 1070fps. It’s my first rifle and I give her a thorough clean after every time to the range. 100-200 rounds each time. Have heard that .22 don’t need cleaning too often. Am I doing more damage cleaning than I would just leaving dirty? Loving this forum, thanks guys and girls.

use a nylon brush to remove the powder and one or two dry patches scotty that's it . oil and clean the rest of the gun but unless accuracy goes bad, just shoot lead and leave the barrel alone . i've tried all the different routines , and unless your shooting copper jackets , or have a competition rifle, i wouldn't touch the bore. hope this helps and don't be shy to ask questions mate . cheers

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 18 Jan 2019, 9:00 am

I have an Anschutz 22 an a CZ Farmer 22. The Annie shoots Stingers really well, but the cZ sprays them. Like everyone says just find ammo the rifle likes.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Jan 2019, 11:00 am

My cz loves SK mag .22 and at 50m will clover leaf the same hole. Even at a hundred, the grouping is impressive as hell for subs and a lil cz...
There are so light and small - great for teaching / learning / plinking but still good enough to hold your own at club
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wildcard6 » 18 Jan 2019, 12:22 pm

I recently had to pay out $400 to have my CZ452 re-chambered due to damage caused by cleaning it. I tried to be really careful and used a rod-guide and this actually caused the rod to damage the leade/start of the rifling. I have never cleaned my .22 more than a dry patch on the odd occasion and it has always shot well. Once, years ago, I ran the exercise where I shot a group as the barrel was, with nice tight grouping. I then cleaned the barrel just as if it was a centrefire, using chemicals and brushes, until the barrel was back to clean steel, then shot a group. It was like I was using a shotgun! It took four or five groups before it was back to normal, so it seems a leaded barrel shoots better [in a typical sporting/hunting barrel] The equation changes if you fit a match barrel with match chamber such as the rimfire benchrest crowd shoot, and they clean their barrels after every group... and they shoot DOTS. In short, I don't recommend cleaning your barrel until such time as accuracy falls off. And that will take a long time!
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Micksta » 21 Jul 2019, 7:35 pm

Wildcard 6, did you clean it multiple times before discovering the damage ?
or did you clean it once and it was done for ?

i just bought a new CZ 452 myself as my first rifle, I bought some cleaning supplies and I too have noticed that the cleaning rod (made for 22cal) is too big and requires a tremendous amount of effort to pass through the barrel. It was not a smooth push through.
Im worried that i've damaged it with a couple passes of the rod.

I plan on changing it for a 20cal or even a 17cal one piece rod.
Micksta
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 25 Jul 2019, 3:09 pm

If the gun has been fired the first pass with a brush is usually, dry gritty and harder. I have never experienced the damage the other member experienced with his cleaning rod. I have had no issues with my 452. It is fine to cherish your guns and look after them, clean them fondle them etc . It is possible to damage by too much barrel cleaning but I am yet to see it. Clean the gun externally as much as you like but leave the barrel mainly alone . You will not have done any harm yet I;am sure.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pademelon » 25 Jul 2019, 5:27 pm

The CZ452 (and all CZ .22 rifles for that matter) has a match chamber so you may have problems using ammunition with longer than standard cases like CCI Stingers. The bore is also slightly narrower (.211 in) than the standard .217 in. This means that a .17 or .20 rod and jag are needed for cleaning as a .22 will be too wide. Might explain some of the problems some of you have been having.
Pademelon
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Micksta » 25 Jul 2019, 6:26 pm

17cal cleaning rod with a 22cal patch seemed to do the trick.
Micksta
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Jul 2019, 6:47 am

The cleaning rod issue had been covered on this forum and other places before. Basically appears the extractor sticks out too much this pushes the rod out of centre... wil also scratch the rod while its turning.

I looked down the action end of my gun and can see it quite easily obstructing a pay of the barrel

As above use a .17 rod with a .22 patch
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 26 Jul 2019, 10:37 am

A mate recently put a micrometer across his .22 bullets and was amazed at the different sizes - even within the same box. Particularly with Winchester Powerpoints, but also other brands. When he used same size his groups were fair, but talking them at random from the box was ordinary.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles