Myra Extruder

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Myra Extruder

Post by bigpete » 23 Jan 2019, 3:09 pm

Ok,so I've known about these for years,and know where I can get one fitted,and pretty much know what they'll do,but does anyone actually own one,and if so,can they give any useful,real world info on them ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Myra Extruder

Post by No1_49er » 23 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

A few of things you'll need to determine/consider.
What is the twist rate of the barrel?
What calibre will you end up with?
What will be the projectile length, after extrusion. Will it stabilise?
Along with above, do you know what ammo will extrude to what length so that you can calculate stability.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 23 Jan 2019, 6:09 pm

As I said,I've researched all that stuff,and that's something I'll discuss with the gunsmith should I choose to go this path.
What I'd like to know is some first hand reports on its effectiveness or lack thereof
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2019, 5:57 am

bigpete wrote:As I said,I've researched all that stuff,and that's something I'll discuss with the gunsmith should I choose to go this path.
What I'd like to know is some first hand reports on its effectiveness or lack thereof

Is this a .172" barrel with a standard .22LR chamber and a short taper to swage the bullet down? Or is it a tapered bore like the Germans experimented with?
What ammo does it use?
Swaging a .223" 40gn lead bullet down to .172" would elongate the bullet by roughly 75% by calculation, and be longer than a jacketed .172" bullet.
.22LR .223" 40gn CCI Std Vel is .460" long.
Swaging it down to .172" will make it about 0.800" long.
25gn VMax .172" is .671".
If you were to use something like the CCI Stinger 32gn bullet which is roughly .370" long it might work quite well, but velocities would be well into bore-leading territory.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 24 Jan 2019, 7:04 am

All that stuff was pretty well worked out 50 years ago...I'd personally be looking at the 20 calibre version,as allegedly there was problems with stability in the 17 calibers. Also,copper plated bullets can be driven pretty darn fast without leading...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1_49er » 24 Jan 2019, 7:15 am

Here's an interesting article about the extruder https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Langsfor ... 0268869254
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 24 Jan 2019, 9:25 am

here is the same as No1_49er has posted but with pictures from pg 18
http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMG ... ?page=18#/

I really like the idea of it and want one as well :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2019, 10:35 am

bigpete wrote:All that stuff was pretty well worked out 50 years ago...I'd personally be looking at the 20 calibre version,as allegedly there was problems with stability in the 17 calibers. Also,copper plated bullets can be driven pretty darn fast without leading...

Where would you get copper-plated .22LR bullets though?
Not many manufacturers produce lead bullets for velocities above about 1600fps, even with copper-wash lubing. Copper-plated bullets are generally rated to about 2200fps, but any manufacturer of a cartridge pushing a bullet above about 1800fps generally jumps straight to jacketed bullets.

What exactly was this design aimed at addressing over standard .22LR shooting?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 24 Jan 2019, 11:05 am

I thought most 22 were copper plated.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 24 Jan 2019, 11:10 am

I know my eyesight isnt what it was.10 years ago,but I'm sure that says "copper plated"....
Screenshot_20190124-113822_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190124-113822_Gallery.jpg (336.54 KiB) Viewed 4972 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1_49er » 24 Jan 2019, 11:26 am

bigpete wrote:I thought most 22 were copper plated.

Nope.
Most is naked lead, usually with a bit of lube.
Copper plated - I'd say that was a minority
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2019, 12:27 pm

bigpete wrote:I know my eyesight isnt what it was.10 years ago,but I'm sure that says "copper plated"....
Screenshot_20190124-113822_Gallery.jpg

Nope, that's a copper lubricant, no plating.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2019, 12:28 pm

No1_49er wrote:Copper plated - I'd say that was a minority

I'd say there's never been a copper-plated .22LR bullet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 24 Jan 2019, 12:33 pm

So in that case I should be able to rub it of really easily...
Regardless,if you actually read the articles, the speeds are not exceeding 1600fps anyway.
And none of this conjecture is actually answering my original question ; who owns or has used one ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2019, 12:33 pm

marksman wrote:here is the same as No1_49er has posted but with pictures from pg 18
http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMG ... ?page=18#/

I really like the idea of it and want one as well :drinks:
Attachments
Langsford squeeze bore rimfire 1.png
Langsford squeeze bore rimfire 1.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 4948 times
Langsford squeeze bore rimfire 2b.png
Langsford squeeze bore rimfire 2b.png (1.9 MiB) Viewed 4948 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2019, 12:46 pm

bigpete wrote:So in that case I should be able to rub it of really easily...
Regardless,if you actually read the articles, the speeds are not exceeding 1600fps anyway.
And none of this conjecture is actually answering my original question ; who owns or has used one ?

Yep, 100fps seems a poor result for the amount of money spent for the .20-cal, and just 200fps for the .17 seems even worse.

Never even heard of it, at least not that I recall. I'd happily build one just for giggles but I wouldn't expect it to offer any advantage over a .22LR.

Brownells list a .172" 9"-twist barrel blank for A$240, although out of stock currently.
A .22LR chamber reamer and a bit of finessing the throat seems like a fairly simple job.
If you could find a cheap .17Mach2 rifle all you'd have to do is put a .22LR reamer in it and taper the throat.

Trying the same trick with .22WMR in a .17HMR barrel might prove more interesting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dieseldan » 03 Feb 2019, 4:54 pm

My Father has the #2 built. .22lr down to .20
My sister won numerous metallic Silhouette matches and even a vic championship with it.
Built from a norinco of all bloody cheapskate rifles lol
I remember Meeting Mr and Mrs Langford for lunch in their home in Broken hill in what must have been 1993?
dieseldan
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by peterb » 28 Feb 2020, 10:58 am

I'll Put my two bits worth in, for what its worth.
Arthur Langsford was my uncle and he was obsessed with .17 caliber he thought that it was the best caliber for general shooting of small to medium feral pests (something they have a lot of in the broken hill area)
He use to produce .17 rounds but all ways thought it was to expensive compered to .22LR so Uncle Arthur being Uncle Arthur decided to try some thing old with a new twist and along came the "Myra Extruder"
I know that he had been talking to Bill Ruger about Sturm Ruger making them but it fell through so he made them himself and usually fitted them to Brno's but would make it to fit any long-arm you had.
I use to use one that he had on a Ruger 10/22 when I visited him on holidays and it shoot superbly I have shoot many wild goats at around 100 meters with it to quite good effect. I never had a foul and found it better than a .22LR.
Its was his Happy medium between the Expensive .17 wildcat calibers, for being more accurate and more killing power compared to .22LR for the cost of .22LR round.
Nowadays you can buy .17HMR and it is "cheap" and will out do a Myra Extruder all day everyday but if you don't mind a loss of performance compared to a .17HMR and the cost of getting the barrel made you will have a great Gun that's dirt cheap to shoot has less noise and like a .22LR has no kick (not that i think a .17HMR as much anyhow) go for it!

P.S. you said that you know someone that can make the Barrel, I know that he said the one that he was going to make for me was going to be a 1 in 7 twist as he found it the "best". and can i ask who as I too would like to get one as Uncle Arthur Died before he could make it for me.

P.P.S. there are comments about copper bullets, We use to use all types of .22LR rounds in it but Uncle Artur did prefer using round nose copper coated bullets, but I have use hollow points, standard lead round nose and Subsonic round through them. they all worked well.
peterb
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles