Forever Rifle suggestions

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Forever Rifle suggestions

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Jan 2019, 7:49 am

green_comet wrote:I have myself a Weihrauch HW60J in 22lr, it's a beautiful rifle. The build quality on it is excellent as is the walnut stock, it shoots great and has no plastic anywhere on it. I love mine to bits and bought it with the intention of keeping it forever, I highly recommend one.

Nice one mate, hard to go past blued steel and timber hey :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 27 Jan 2019, 8:08 am

straightshooter wrote:You only need to remember two words - steel and wood.

I agree with this statement :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 27 Jan 2019, 8:43 pm

I've had a few heirloom guns, from my Father and his Father. Winchester, BSA's and Martini Rifles as well as a London made SXS fine quality hammer shotgun.
None of them are anything special, apart from the shotgun which I transferred to my Brother at the first opportunity (Promised to him long ago).
Thing is I have much better guns I have bought for myself, but those Ive been left I'd never let out of the family.
Buy what suits you. The connection to you is what is going to be important in the future.

The cheap single shot 22 that fed my grampa's family during the depression has minimal intrinsic value, but I wouldn't swap it for anything.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Archie » 28 Jan 2019, 10:03 am

Daddybang wrote:

Yep that's two of the determining factors for me!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:

I used to agree with that - I only shifted to synthetic because I was sick of getting wood scratched and feeling regretful. But a while back I bought a carbon fibre 308 and as it happens, it just comes up to my shoulder like a properly fitted shotgun and my eye goes exactly where it's supposed to. There's something about picking that rifle up that just says to me, time to go hunting. In ten or twenty years time it wont be cutting edge anymore but I still don't think you'll convince me to get rid of it.

So unlike some of my wood ones I don't think anyone else will see it as a forever rifle, but it is one for me.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Jan 2019, 10:33 am

Archie wrote:
Daddybang wrote:

Yep that's two of the determining factors for me!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:

I used to agree with that - I only shifted to synthetic because I was sick of getting wood scratched and feeling regretful. But a while back I bought a carbon fibre 308 and as it happens, it just comes up to my shoulder like a properly fitted shotgun and my eye goes exactly where it's supposed to. There's something about picking that rifle up that just says to me, time to go hunting. In ten or twenty years time it wont be cutting edge anymore but I still don't think you'll convince me to get rid of it.

So unlike some of my wood ones I don't think anyone else will see it as a forever rifle, but it is one for me.

Those are the scars of battle my friend :D but you are right in saying it's the one that just says I want to be used all the time that to me is the one thats worth keeping forever. I've got a couple in that category :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 28 Jan 2019, 10:39 am

Yep Archie that's the way it should be. .we each have different likes etc. The world gets pretty fkn boring if we all want exactly what everyone else wants/has! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Jan 2019, 10:50 am

Daddybang wrote:Yep Archie that's the way it should be. .we each have different likes etc. The world gets pretty fkn boring if we all want exactly what everyone else wants/has! :thumbsup: :drinks:

Very true indeed. :thumbsup: I like things that have more sentimental value than monetary value as such. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Jan 2019, 1:01 pm

I was not lucky enough to get a rifle from my father. Of all the rifles I have bought myself I hope never to sell my first Ruger #1. An older Sako in 222 would be another keeper. I don't know many people who have bought a rifle when they were 18 and still have it when they are 70 but I hope the OP is one of those people. Good luck to you.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2019, 6:29 pm

Due to the potential for tighter gun control in the future if you want a forever rifle maybe don’t get a pump,lever. Or anything short and black with pic rail and a torch
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Jan 2019, 10:38 pm

Frack that rules all my rifles out.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Jan 2019, 11:57 am

Ziad you old closet Sci-Fi fan, you.
Haven't heard anyone use that for ages.

Other than for destroying water tables, that is.
:thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 29 Jan 2019, 12:34 pm

At 18 I reckon ya need to be going shooting and hunting with a number of diff rifles, and even then you won't really know what ur forever gun is till you hunted a bunch of diff game in a bunch of different states or terrain.

Just go and burn some bullets
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 29 Jan 2019, 1:42 pm

The reason I went with the reply I did as the question was not one of what type of rifle makes me happy. It was in my eyes what type of rifle can I buy that my family will keep and hand down forever. To that end I think you have to go with a very all-round calibre / cartridge that will appeal to most people. Once you go into a niche it may not appeal to your future generations. Best way to look forward to this question is to perhaps look back.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 29 Jan 2019, 3:30 pm

Hmm in that than the 6.5manbun it's probably the best calibre, good for girls, guys in touch with their feminine side, even gay ppl (either they identify themselves as boys or girls), or guys who just want a calibre with high ballistics.

For me, I prefer the black colored, aluminum, or polymer type of firearms

Mate, what can I say, cylons are everywhere
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Jan 2019, 4:12 pm

Ziad wrote:
Mate, what can I say, cylons are everywhere

:lol: :thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 29 Jan 2019, 5:04 pm

and gender fluidity rubbish :roll: :lol: :lol:

poor old 6.5 manbun :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 29 Jan 2019, 5:24 pm

I seem to have a LOT of rifles here that really are poor choices of caliber, but are still here because of the history surrounding that particular rifle.
I considered 'thinning the herd' a bit more the other day, and came to the realization that choosing which other rifle gets the boot, is too bloody hard a decision to make at this stage...

So, MOST of the 'forever' rifles in my lot, tend to be next to freaking useless for the task at hand, but too valuable to part with for the sentimental/historical value they have.
However, all of my recent rifle purchases have synthetic stocks, stainless, plastic bits, and tacticool oozing out of them, and they all shoot minute of wren...

So, it seems that I'm fine with having 'forever' guns that sit in either camp, but it highlights what others have said; a 'forever' rifle is what history you make with any particular rifle.
My 2 cents.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Jan 2019, 5:06 pm

FB_IMG_1548480258256.jpg
FB_IMG_1548480258256.jpg (67.37 KiB) Viewed 4949 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jan 2019, 6:11 pm

What’s with the creedmoor pic .? I don’t know much about the caliber Is it just a bit of harmless fun aussies bagging each other. Sort of like us hilux owners calling Navara drivers faggs ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 30 Jan 2019, 7:09 pm

:lol: I have a Creedmoor and a Navara. :lol:
How about you haters go and EABOD. :thumbsup:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Jan 2019, 7:12 pm

Rotfl.. I have a triton and a ford to go with my creedmoor... that makes me 6.5 Swede without a beard
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 31 Jan 2019, 9:28 am

I have a Toyota and a 6.5 MB- thats as close to gender fluidity as I can manage!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mattraff » 01 Mar 2019, 11:54 am

I had the same idea last year. I ended up buying a CZ452 farewell edition and a CZ527 ebony edition in .223. My reason for CZ was the fact they are still old school traditional bolt guns that have been around for decades and always been popular with Australian shooters. They may not be the best looking or smoothest rifles but they are built tough.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 03 Mar 2019, 2:04 am

if I could nominate a "forever rifle" it would come down to a couple that I don't own but have used over many decades. First is a BSA cadet rifle (full wood) in .22LR which was our bunny rifle for many, many years and the second would be an FN Browning "Trombone" again in .22LR. I don't own these, a close associate does, but if I did I'd never sell them. On second thoughts, all my guns are "forever guns". Let the kids sort it out!
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Dunxy » 05 Mar 2019, 9:47 am

I drive a real Toyota (only milk an hiluxs come in 3litres ;) ) have 6.5mb and multiple 6.5x55, so i must be really confused?

Forever rifles, Brno .22 is pretty hard to go past. Ive not found MY personal intermediate favourite yet, 223,243,22-250 undecided... When i do , most likely be a nice old Sako or Krico variant.Cant beat old steel and wood, as others have said.
No way id ever part with my Lithgow SMLE, that's for sure. It UN-Australian to not have at least one Lithgow 303 in the safe!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles