Forever Rifle suggestions

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Forever Rifle suggestions

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 25 Jan 2019, 9:04 pm

Hey all, so I'm looking into buying a set of rifles to keep forever that I can pass down through the generations. I turn 18 in a few months and I would like my first official purchase (already have my own firearms in dad's name) to be my forever rifles. Basically I am looking for 2 rifles, one .22LR and one small centerfire (17 hornet up to 222rem) to use as both my pretty, show guns, but also something reliable that I can use in competitions occasionally and out hunting. Must have a timber stock (preferably walnut, no laminate or painted stocks) and I would love for at least the .22 to have ironsights.

So far I'm interested in the Weihrauch HW 60 J in .22LR and .222Rem, or .17 hornet. Also the Anschutz 1712 (I think) and the CF equivalent, however they are getting right up there in price.

Hoping to spend less than 3000 for both. also looking for scope recommendations in a low power range about 3-12 max
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Forever Rifle suggestions

Post by deanp100 » 26 Jan 2019, 7:17 am

Hi mate. I am currently working through my pile of guns and culling out the crap and replacing with a series of guns that I think are all forever guns. The main criteria is uniqueness , quality and the ability to hold value forever. I am hunting in the 60’s and 70’s for the real masterpieces. I picked up a pristine sako varmint 222 this week and a beautiful zkk 222 last week. New in box classics turn up occasionally and you have to be ready to jump on them. I would looking at the European guns of the 60’s for both centrefire and rimfire and you will find all the elements you want. Walnut, blueing, open sights and quality. Synthetic stocks are ruining society in my opinion. Most of the worlds problems can be attributed to a lack of walnut and blueing. Just my opinion.
Good luck in your search but when you buy something new, think of all the elements that make guns really attractive in 50 years time and it is the little things like keeping the original box, the shop receipt, the price tags, the factory target etc. it mightn’t mean much now but is an interesting point for you kids to have.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 26 Jan 2019, 7:42 am

Out of the rifles I own only two I consider "forever rifles" are the model 70 featherweight classic in 243 and my missus's cz527-2 in 222.
I don't personally care if these hold their price tag in years to come cause I'll never get rid of'em !! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 26 Jan 2019, 7:57 am

oops.double post
Last edited by deanp100 on 26 Jan 2019, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jan 2019, 8:21 am

Daddybang wrote:Out of the rifles I own only two I consider "forever rifles" are the model 70 featherweight classic in 243 and my missus's cz527-2 in 222.
I don't personally care if these hold their price tag in years to come cause I'll never get rid of'em !! :thumbsup: :drinks:

The old model 70 is a good thing hey mate. I got a 1975 xtr in 222, and a FN made model 70 in 6.5x55 . They are my forever guns. Once you get used to the trigger their great. They don’t have a trigger pull as such, but zero creep is awesome
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 26 Jan 2019, 8:28 am

A small centerfire is never really going to be a forever rifle. Forever rifles have to be either somewhat uniquely Australian like a Lithgow 303. They should also be a recognized hunting rifle and if that can also cover a recognized and used by the family to win competitions even better. The rifle that could fit this bill is the 308 again an Australian centric popular gun. IMHO these will be forever guns.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Daddybang » 26 Jan 2019, 8:33 am

bigrich wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Out of the rifles I own only two I consider "forever rifles" are the model 70 featherweight classic in 243 and my missus's cz527-2 in 222.

The old model 70 is a good thing hey mate. I got a 1975 xtr in 222, and a FN made model 70 in 6.5x55 . They are my forever guns. Once you get used to the trigger their great. They don’t have a trigger pull as such, but zero creep is awesome

The trigger on the 70 I absolutely love for the field . Not sure of its year of build but suspect it's in the early nineties. Have been told everything from " that serial number can't exist" to "it's a custom shop job" so I figure its just a standard rifle and it's records were probably lost in the fire. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 26 Jan 2019, 8:40 am

sungazer wrote:A small centerfire is never really going to be a forever rifle. Forever rifles have to be either somewhat uniquely Australian like a Lithgow 303. They should also be a recognized hunting rifle and if that can also cover a recognized and used by the family to win competitions even better. The rifle that could fit this bill is the 308 again an Australian centric popular gun. IMHO these will be forever guns.

I reckon any rifle can be a forever rifle. ..to me a forever rifle isn't the same as a collection piece it's that rifle ya own that you're never gonna sell. For some that might be the .222 that granmpa handed down or the brand spanking new 308 that ya love to shoot or the .22 model that ya learn to shoot with. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jan 2019, 9:08 am

Amen mate. It’s whatever gels with ya , for sentimental reasons or just because. Some folks love 22 hornet ta bits
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2019, 9:11 am

Daddybang wrote:I reckon any rifle can be a forever rifle. ..to me a forever rifle isn't the same as a collection piece it's that rifle ya own that you're never gonna sell. For some that might be the .222 that granmpa handed down or the brand spanking new 308 that ya love to shoot or the .22 model that ya learn to shoot with. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Spot on DB to me it’s not about brand or cal it’s more about a rifle you have fond memories using out hunting or at the range - a rifle that has great sentimental value and not monetary value and just lives in a safe collecting dust.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by allan » 26 Jan 2019, 10:52 am

The WH HW60J rifles could be classed as "forever" rifles if bought new and well maintained. The compact Leupolds are a nice choice for these rifles.
The Anschutz 1710DKL would be about as nice as they come for a 22 with sights but one of these will cost nearly as much as two Weihrauch rifles.
If ever you had to sell, the Anschutz will hold value better than most.
The latest Anschutz 222R offerings feature a number of up-grades over the original 54 action rifles but as you have noted, the price is right up there!
As Deano says, the old classics are still out there but you have to be patient and do your homework - Buying 60 - 80's era rifles is a gamble unless you can actually see them or know their history from a reliable source.
I recently sold a German 222R which I'd owned for over 50 years - It will last another 50 if the new owner treats it well. It was a "forever" rifle but I'm getting old with no dependants so I'd rather see it go to a good home than finish up in a Weapons Branch crusher when I'm gone!
Good luck with whatever path you choose.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-sc ... efr-3-9x33
https://www.nioa.com.au/products/view/1710DKL
https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.p ... how=detail

allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Jan 2019, 11:13 am

Well Mitch, if you want heirloom firearms and have the money, the place to go is Fuch's Fine Guns.

http://fuchsfineguns.com/index.php/fine-guns/
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2019, 11:54 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Well Mitch, if you want heirloom firearms and have the money, the place to go is Fuch's Fine Guns.

Nice looking rifles alright, not something I'd ever want to use :D Only good for safe queen use I reckon (I'd cry if I ever damaged one using it) :silent:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Jan 2019, 12:10 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:Well Mitch, if you want heirloom firearms and have the money, the place to go is Fuch's Fine Guns.

Nice looking rifles alright, not something I'd ever want to use :D Only good for safe queen use I reckon (I'd cry if I ever damaged one using it) :silent:

Definitely. I can imagine it, out Ninja-ing around the scrub, roll an ankle in an old rabbit hole, go tits up and drop it on a rock and do a couple grands worth of scratch damage.

They are a thing of mechanica and artisticl beauty though.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gun nut. » 26 Jan 2019, 12:43 pm

For a .22 I would go for a good old Brno or a CZ 452. Centrrfire would be a CZ527 in .223 if you want a smaller caliber. I like heavy varmint barrels because my rifles do more range work then hunting. Can't go wrong with a .223 or .308, Factory ammo for both is getting cheaper than it was a few years back. I reload for both but I'm hearing good things about Aussie outback ammo which would be worth a try. I bet you won't stop at two rifles either. My rifles and handguns are still breeding .
CZ 527 .223 varmit
Tikka T3 .308
K98 .308
Norinco JW-25A .22
Brno no.2 .22

Coonan .357 semi-auto
Ruger GP100 .357
S&W 617-1 .22
S&W 686-3 8 3/8
Colt rail gun 1911 .22
Gun nut.
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2019, 1:20 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Definitely. I can imagine it, out Ninja-ing around the scrub, roll an ankle in an old rabbit hole, go tits up and drop it on a rock and do a couple grands worth of scratch damage.

They are a thing of mechanica and artisticl beauty though.

You’d need a few extra moonshines to get over it :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Jan 2019, 1:44 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

:lol: :lol: I'd be so damn shiny, I'd probably catch fire :lol:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2019, 2:15 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

:lol: :lol: I'd be so damn shiny, I'd probably catch fire :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 26 Jan 2019, 3:32 pm

Daddybang wrote:I reckon any rifle can be a forever rifle. ..to me a forever rifle isn't the same as a collection piece it's that rifle ya own that you're never gonna sell. For some that might be the .222 that grampa handed down or the brand spanking new 308 that ya love to shoot or the .22 model that ya learn to shoot with. :thumbsup: :drinks:

One of the best posts I have read ......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Jan 2019, 4:01 pm

Have to agree with both of you there, my forever rifle is my Winchester Model 04 .22 that my Mum gave me for my 13th birthday. The rifling is only a rumor of its former self and I'm more likely to hit something by throwing a brick at it, but I'd part with both stones first.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 26 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

Yes to all , but there is a difference between I gun that is part of your life through circumstance, and one that you plan to buy to keep forever. A Chinese air rifle might mean something to you but no one else will ever look at it and go “ holy s**t, I wish I had one of them”.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2019, 7:02 pm

deanp100 wrote:Yes to all , but there is a difference between I gun that is part of your life through circumstance, and one that you plan to buy to keep forever. A Chinese air rifle might mean something to you but no one else will ever look at it and go “ holy s**t, I wish I had one of them”.

Really? That's the determining factor for you? :roll:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 26 Jan 2019, 7:36 pm

Also the features of a rifle you value today may not be features that are as important to you tomorrow. As you grow as a shooter (and a handloader), your values change... for example currently my most valued rifle shoots cheap cast pills out of a straight wall case exceptionally well - I’d never of dreamed such characteristics would be so important to me when I was first starting out... basically your perspective changes. I say don’t overthink things, and get out and just starts shooting! Learn from mistakes
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 26 Jan 2019, 8:56 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
deanp100 wrote:Yes to all , but there is a difference between I gun that is part of your life through circumstance, and one that you plan to buy to keep forever. A Chinese air rifle might mean something to you but no one else will ever look at it and go “ holy s**t, I wish I had one of them”.

Yeah, if I want it to be. So roll your f***ing eyes somewhere else.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2019, 11:10 pm

deanp100 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

:roll: :lol: :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by green_comet » 26 Jan 2019, 11:26 pm

I have myself a Weihrauch HW60J in 22lr, it's a beautiful rifle. The build quality on it is excellent as is the walnut stock, it shoots great and has no plastic anywhere on it. I love mine to bits and bought it with the intention of keeping it forever, I highly recommend one.

green_comet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 27 Jan 2019, 6:09 am

You only need to remember two words - steel and wood.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Jan 2019, 6:31 am

straightshooter wrote:You only need to remember two words - steel and wood.

:thumbsup: works for me.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 27 Jan 2019, 6:37 am

deanp100 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

No need to get aggro. It's just a conversation! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 27 Jan 2019, 6:39 am

straightshooter wrote:You only need to remember two words - steel and wood.

Yep that's two of the determining factors for me!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles