Scopes

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Scopes

Post by Kaid » 15 Feb 2019, 8:05 am

Hey Guys can anyone tell me if there is a differance between a rimfire or centrefire scope. Can you use either on any rifle?
I'am never wrong, thought I was once but I was mistaken
Kaid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Scopes

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Feb 2019, 8:09 am

My understanding is that a rim fire scope does not have the required heavier workings of a centrefire rated scope - a rim fire recoil is non existent where a centrefire might be rated from 222 to 338 or bigger, neccistating much stronger workings.
You could utilise a centrefire scope on a rim but not the other way round.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bazooker » 15 Feb 2019, 8:58 am

Also different is the adjustment for parallax when the scope is set up, rimfires are usually set up for 75 yards or so and centrefires at 150 yards as a rule of thumb.

more here:-

https://winchester.com/Blog/2017/10/und ... g-parallax

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Kaid » 15 Feb 2019, 10:21 am

Why is a rimfire set at 75 yards if you have to adjust it for 50/ 100 yards why set it at all. Please understand I am new to this sport and my knowledge is limited
Kaid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Feb 2019, 10:57 am

Kaid wrote:Hey Guys can anyone tell me if there is a differance between a rimfire or centrefire scope. Can you use either on any rifle?

Rimfire scopes are parallax-optimised for significantly closer ranges, sub100m.
I doubt you'd have problems using a rimfire-specific scope on a centrefire but it's possible on some of the heavier recoilers.

I use the Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40 on all my rifles, including .22LR. It focuses down to 10m.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Feb 2019, 10:58 am

Kaid wrote:Why is a rimfire set at 75 yards if you have to adjust it for 50/ 100 yards why set it at all. Please understand I am new to this sport and my knowledge is limited

It probably depends on the scope, better to buy one with side-focus or adjustable-objective parallax adjustment.
Parallax is what fixes the reticle on the point of aim regardless of your head position behind the scope.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kaid » 15 Feb 2019, 3:03 pm

Thanks guys I now have a better understanding of how a scope works
Kaid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sawyers » 15 Feb 2019, 4:12 pm

I had a redfield 3-9x40 on my 22lr and while perfectly fine for hunting was troublesome when target shooting as paralax was set for 100 meters (or there abouts) and caused the x hair to split (best way I can describe it) when shooting 50m and under.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles