Newbie 22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Newbie 22

Post by Scottyboy » 22 Feb 2019, 6:56 pm

Hi group
Just got my first rifle. I’ve seen that every rifle likes iits own ammo. I’ve only put through CCI standard and CCI stingers. What’s the most popular other 22lr rounds to try out. Thought I might buy 50 of each and try them all at them at range on Monday. Only want to punch paper, plinking up at the farm and maybe a bunny or two if it’s silly enough to wander into my sights.

P.S. CZ 452 American
Scottyboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Newbie 22

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 7:04 pm

SK MAGAZINE subs .22... the end lol.

I’ve got a couple .22’s and a few friends I know - regardless of brand of rifle, they all seem to shoot SK very very tight.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2019, 7:23 pm

Scottyboy wrote:Hi group
Just got my first rifle. I’ve seen that every rifle likes iits own ammo. I’ve only put through CCI standard and CCI stingers. What’s the most popular other 22lr rounds to try out. Thought I might buy 50 of each and try them all at them at range on Monday. Only want to punch paper, plinking up at the farm and maybe a bunny or two if it’s silly enough to wander into my sights.

P.S. CZ 452 American

I tested everything I could find, even mail-ordering stuff I couldn't get down here. Out of 70+ types of ammo, CCI Std Velocity and Eley Edge came out trumps in my Rugers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2019, 7:31 pm

Im a fan of subsonic hollow point ammo...give everything a go in subsonic you can find...Win, CCI, RWS, Eley etc etc...
You may be pleasantly surprised with the results you get... :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chappo » 22 Feb 2019, 8:37 pm

+1 on the subsonics.
Not sure why but there’s just something fun about using subsonics in a 22.
You’ll be plinking and target shooting for hours and will scare off fewer rabbits, birds etc.
Using a round that is just under the sound barrier can give you more options too should you decide to put a few standard velocity rounds through they will be so similar in tragectory you can do so without sighting in again.

What annoys me though is a lot of manucaturers won’t have the velocity printed on the box and some don’t even have the projectile weight.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 8:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Scottyboy wrote:Hi group

P.S. CZ 452 American

I tested everything I could find, even mail-ordering stuff I couldn't get down here. Out of 70+ types of ammo, CCI Std Velocity and Eley Edge came out trumps in my Rugers.

70 different types? Farrrtkkkk me. That’s committed lol.
I wish the manufacturers would do test packs like air rifles. It’s not a huge cost saver but convenience wise would be so much better.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Chappo » 22 Feb 2019, 8:49 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I wish the manufacturers would do test packs like air rifles. It’s not a huge cost saver but convenience wise would be so much better.

Having a big stack of various half used boxes of 22 rounds is actually quite convenient if you are addicted to buying 22’s ;)
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 23 Feb 2019, 8:49 am

Try subs , find one it likes and stick to it .
It's fun though to try loads of different ammo :-) :-)
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 23 Feb 2019, 3:19 pm

SK rifle match is the best out of my my cz452. But at $12-13 per 50 I guess it starting to get up there price wise. CCi standard works well in my 3 22s. For hunting I usually use the Winchester power point. Both the 40 and 42 go ok in my CZ 452.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2019, 4:42 pm

TassieTiger wrote:70 different types? Farrrtkkkk me. That’s committed lol.
I wish the manufacturers would do test packs like air rifles. It’s not a huge cost saver but convenience wise would be so much better.

I still have a few here that I haven't tested yet. Anytime I find something new I grab it, you just don't know when you might find something that's even better :-)
CCI has a new "Quiet" coming soon with a 45gn bullet.

Test packs would be neat, but as you'd want at least half a box it seems pointless. I suppose if they did bricks with one box of ten different types it'd be useful.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FNQ » 23 Feb 2019, 6:21 pm

Federal bulk pack of 525
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 25 Feb 2019, 2:48 am

If you are not into competition then buy the cheapest Federal, Winchester, Remington bulk ammo you can find at your local store and just go and have fun. Any of the major manufacturers will be able to suit your requirements of occasional paper punching on the farm and the odd bunny. If you can put a bullet into a 1 inch circle at 50m or 75m then you are good to go. If you are not looking for one hole groups at 100m you will never get value for money spending big $ on premium ammo. It's supposed to be fun. If you find that the cheap bulk ammo doesn't fill your needs then, by all means explore the options with more expensive fodder but first just get to know your new rifle and what it can do with the cheap stuff.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Kaid » 25 Feb 2019, 7:24 am

Tried to buy some SK ammo recently and it seems that the suppliers are out of stock in QLD
I'am never wrong, thought I was once but I was mistaken
Kaid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Feb 2019, 7:56 am

I beg to differ slightly diamond sometimes bulk cheap ammo is really crap and you get lumped with s**t that just don't work. Recently bought 2 boxes 400 of browning ammo cuz on special...it shoots 3" group at 50m out of my cuz.... so sold one box and trying my best to run out the other.

Saying that eley standard actually shoots quite reasonable. And just trying to find another ammo that shoots very well.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by FNQ » 25 Feb 2019, 2:42 pm

I’m with Diamond Jim.

I’ve got a number of .22 and for plinking around the farm all my .22 shoot fine on bulk ammo. Yes some better then others but at $45 for 525 rounds it’s perfect especially with the kids and friends having a shot at coke cans. Quantity works better then quality.

Obviously if your shooting benchrest go premium rounds.
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2019, 3:13 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:If you are not into competition then buy the cheapest Federal, Winchester, Remington bulk ammo you can find at your local store and just go and have fun. Any of the major manufacturers will be able to suit your requirements of occasional paper punching on the farm and the odd bunny. If you can put a bullet into a 1 inch circle at 50m or 75m then you are good to go. If you are not looking for one hole groups at 100m you will never get value for money spending big $ on premium ammo. It's supposed to be fun. If you find that the cheap bulk ammo doesn't fill your needs then, by all means explore the options with more expensive fodder but first just get to know your new rifle and what it can do with the cheap stuff.

Nope, don't buy bulk ammo until you know your rifle shoots it well. In my testing, in a specific rifle, about 85% of .22LR ammo all shoots similarly. 10% shoots very poorly, and 5% shoots very well - and it is entirely unrelated to price. There may be some validity to barrel manufacturer's liking the same ammo as all three of my Ruger's seem to shoot their best with the same ammunition.

You don't need premium ammo to shoot 1MoA groups at 100m, you just need to spend the money testing various ammo until you find one that does - for me it's CCI Std Velocity - then buy that one in bulk.
With a new barrel I would also strongly recommend you buy a brick of something and just spend some hours squirting those down range. You'll become more intimate with your rifle while also settling the bore. Somewhere between 500 and 1000 rounds down the tube the rifle should start shooting more consistently.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chappo » 25 Feb 2019, 6:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:Nope, don't buy bulk ammo until you know your rifle shoots it well. In my testing, in a specific rifle, about 85% of .22LR ammo all shoots similarly. 10% shoots very poorly, and 5% shoots very well - and it is entirely unrelated to price.

Yep, I’ve found the same to be true for me too.
It’s just a bonus when you find a particular rifle that loves the cheap stuff!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Feb 2019, 7:31 pm

Or...think you’ve found some good ammo, go nuts and buy shed loads of it and then next time out it shoot likes absolute sh*t because your test group was all luck lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Feb 2019, 7:34 pm

I'm with Diamond Jim, buy some bulk stuff for plinking fun and better stuff for hunting and target shooting, I've tried the Rem bucket of bullets and it's ok, nothing special group wise but was perfectly usable for spinners and shooting clays and golf balls etc.

I like the CCI standards for shooting groups as they shoot really well out of my Savages and I use them for hunting bunnies too as they get the job done no worries at all, also use the Win 40gn PP subs too and their HV version too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Feb 2019, 4:59 pm

Rotfl
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Feb 2019, 8:58 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Or...think you’ve found some good ammo, go nuts and buy shed loads of it and then next time out it shoot likes absolute sh*t because your test group was all luck lol

Yep, that's why I said you'd want at least a half box of each for testing :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles