CZ 455 cleaning

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ 455 cleaning

Post by Zappa » 01 Mar 2019, 2:46 pm

What bore guide, rod and jags do you use to clean your 22LR CZ 455 ?

I have a Hoppes 1 piece steel cleaning rod, 0.202 ( 5.15mm) and seem to be hitting the case ejector arm causing the rod to rub against it and making it hard to feed a patch through.

someone said I need a .17cal rod with a female jag to avoid hitting the ejector. Or a 5/40 to 8/32 adaptor to use my existing male jag which is threaded 8/32.
And at the moment im not using a bore guide because I was told you need a special one for a CZ455.

im confused. where can I purchase all this stuff as well.

:thumbsup:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: CZ 455 cleaning

Post by No1_49er » 01 Mar 2019, 6:48 pm

Hinterland Shooting Supplies : - http://www.hss.net.au/product_info.php?products_id=802
$35
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Zappa » 01 Mar 2019, 7:29 pm

No1_49er wrote:Hinterland Shooting Supplies : - http://www.hss.net.au/product_info.php?products_id=802
$35

Thanks 49'er. Although Im thinking I might also have to get a thinner rod like a .17 :?:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 02 Mar 2019, 3:22 am

Get a bore guide - I use "Possum Hollow" but I don't know if they are still available. I have a standard .22 steel rod. Before the bore guide the ejector stripped all the powdercoating or paint or whatever it is off the rod. After the guide it was never an issue.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Zappa » 02 Mar 2019, 4:54 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:Get a bore guide - I use "Possum Hollow" but I don't know if they are still available. I have a standard .22 steel rod. Before the bore guide the ejector stripped all the powdercoating or paint or whatever it is off the rod. After the guide it was never an issue.

Got one on order. But I suspect I'll be still fighting it until I get a thinner rod.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 03 Mar 2019, 1:49 am

"Got one on order. But I suspect I'll be still fighting it until I get a thinner rod."
I use one rod for all my rifles -.22LR, .223Rem, .270W, .303Brit,, .357Mag. never had an issue with the standard rod, jags, brushes etc in the CZ .22LR. Your experience may be different.
A bore guide is important though. Buy one and use it. The CZ452 was the rifle that convinced me that I needed one for my other rifles as well. Now I'm a convert.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Dicko » 06 Mar 2019, 8:12 am

I have just purchased a 17 and 22 CZ 455 guide from Lowey Products. Really happy with them. Great service and a good price.
Picked up a trigger spring & shim kit too.
Dicko
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 06 Mar 2019, 3:08 pm

Yep, Lowey are good to deal with. The trigger kit makes a huge difference.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wildcard6 » 12 Mar 2019, 1:18 pm

I suggest you look at my post on this subject, currently on page TWO of this forum. CZ452 Barrel cleaning - costly mistake'. I bought a rod guide and struck the same problem, but in my pig-headedness to make it work, I damaged the rifling just in front of the chamber. That little F-up cost me $400 to fix - it had to be re-chambered. I now use a pull-through that I bought for $30 at my local Small-bore club. It's made by Anschutz and provides all the cleaning that a .22 rimfire barrel needs. I cut 4x2 patches in half [4x1's] and use them in the loop. Simple, cheap and effective. Years ago [long before I thought of using a rod guide] I went through the exercise of cleaning the barrel of my CZ452 just as if it was a centrefire barrel and the results were TERRIBLE ACCURACY until I'd put about 25 rounds through the barrel, then the groups tightened back up. This proved to me that over-cleaning a rimfire barrel [unless you have a benchrest barrel, match-chambered]. A standard barrel shoots better with MINIMAL cleaning required.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Zappa » 12 Mar 2019, 5:13 pm

wildcard6 wrote:I suggest you look at my post on this subject, currently on page TWO of this forum. CZ452 Barrel cleaning - costly mistake'. .....A standard barrel shoots better with MINIMAL cleaning required.

I've read that thread a few times and also having some difficulty understanding how a brass jag wrapped in a cotton patch caused that extent of damage to your rifle.

Unless of course the rod was mismatched to the jag and causing it to chafe the chamber end. Were you shown the damage and witness it yourself? Odd.
When you say small bore pull through what does that comprise of ?
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 30 Mar 2021, 7:50 pm

Hi guys I’m bringing up an old thread because I’ve had the same issue. I have a cz455 and initially bought a cleaning kit with the segmented rod. I found it would get snagged and I could feel the notches as they went through. Soon after I bought a one piece hoppes rod and also smaller patches. That improved a lot but still it would hit a snag as I fed it through. I got a lowey bore guide and now notice scratches on the cleaning rod after use. You can feel the scratches with your finger. Reading other comments, I’ve conceded that the extractor is causing the issue so I’ve ordered a snake. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but my questions are, could any harm have been done to the extractor or is this purely for extracting the cases and nothing more? I.e if it works then ok? And will the cleaning rod be ok to use in my new 223 with the little scratches on it? It’s a stainless steel rod. Thanks in advance.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 31 Mar 2021, 8:20 am

wildcard6: "I went through the exercise of cleaning the barrel of my CZ452 just as if it was a centrefire barrel and the results were TERRIBLE ACCURACY until I'd put about 25 rounds through the barrel ..."

Does that apply to .22 WMR as well? I've just cleaned mine for the first time and bullets are spraying everywhere. Before I cleaned [no brushes, only patches using a Lowey bore guide and a SS .22 rod and .22 jag] it it was shooting 0.9" at 100 yards off a bench.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Apr 2021, 7:59 pm

NTSOG wrote:wildcard6: "I went through the exercise of cleaning the barrel of my CZ452 just as if it was a centrefire barrel and the results were TERRIBLE ACCURACY until I'd put about 25 rounds through the barrel ..."

Does that apply to .22 WMR as well? I've just cleaned mine for the first time and bullets are spraying everywhere. Before I cleaned [no brushes, only patches using a Lowey bore guide and a SS .22 rod and .22 jag] it it was shooting 0.9" at 100 yards off a bench.

Jim

Pretty common i believe. My brno 2 was much the same.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles