Got the CZ 452 varmint. .22LR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Got the CZ 452 varmint. .22LR

Post by Gun nut. » 15 Mar 2019, 5:00 am

Going to my LGS today to get a leupold freedom rimfire 3x9x40 scope today.
Will also get a few varieties of SK .22 ammo to see what all the fuss is about!
Never used it before. Range report soon.
CZ 527 .223 varmit
Tikka T3 .308
K98 .308
Norinco JW-25A .22
Brno no.2 .22

Coonan .357 semi-auto
Ruger GP100 .357
S&W 617-1 .22
S&W 686-3 8 3/8
Colt rail gun 1911 .22
Gun nut.
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 15 Mar 2019, 6:48 pm

Gun nut. wrote:Going to my LGS today to get a leupold freedom rimfire 3x9x40 scope today.
Will also get a few varieties of SK .22 ammo to see what all the fuss is about!
Never used it before. Range report soon.

Looking forward to the range report. I have the same scope on my CZ452. Originally I just had a fixed 4 power on it. So the Leupold VX freedom is a fair upgrade. I haven't tested the rimfire MOA drop reticle yet.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rookie » 16 Mar 2019, 8:23 am

Appreciate that great info flyer! That close up really shows how the mechanics of the ejectors work, many thanks.

The ejectors on my cz 452 look crisp so the jams must have been the nut behind the trigger :lol:

.. I think I was being a little reserved with the rifle early on and am now finding a confident cycle of the bolt is the best way to avoid the issue.

Good luck with yours GN. I got the tri-MOA reticle in the Leupold but am sure with the clarity they’ll all do the job :thumbsup:

Hope the SK Rifle Match works well - they’re a greasy round (as are the RWS Rifle Match) so not sure if that’s something to look for in rounds that the CZ will shoot well.

One of the range officers said European rifles like European rounds (SK and RWS both originally from Germany?). Not sure if there’s any truth in that as CCI Standard (American) also shot well and I assume different types of ammo from the same manufacturer will shoot differently anyway.

I’m curious to try some ELEY (British?) and maybe Tikka/Sako (Finnish) soon :thumbsup:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gun nut. » 16 Mar 2019, 10:12 am

Diamond Jim wrote:Regarding trigger, a popular trigger kit when I bought my CZ452 varmint was something called the "Yo-Dave" kit - I think from a fellow in Canada. It was about $18 for 4 springs and 4 tubular shims. I bought it online and within a hour or so trying different combinations I had a trigger pull of a little over 1kg and zero creep. The latter is important because people who try my rifle always comment that it is a "hair trigger" - it isn't. They are just not used to having no gritty, long take-up. I can lift a 1.25L bottle full of water without the trigger releasing and I can pound the butt with a rubber mallet without it letting go.
If you keep the original spring you can restore to factory standard issue any time with a few minutes work.
I'm not sure if they are still available but if it is legal for you to work on your own rifle and you have basic handyman skills I highly recommend if you can find one.

Thanks jim, these trigger kits are still available cause I just bought one. Might get one for my Brno no.2 as well.
A light well tuned trigger certainly plays a part of accurate target shooting. I also like the set trigger on my CZ527 .223 too.
Cheers GN.

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image[/ur
CZ 527 .223 varmit
Tikka T3 .308
K98 .308
Norinco JW-25A .22
Brno no.2 .22

Coonan .357 semi-auto
Ruger GP100 .357
S&W 617-1 .22
S&W 686-3 8 3/8
Colt rail gun 1911 .22
Gun nut.
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 16 Mar 2019, 12:34 pm

rookie wrote:Appreciate that great info flyer! That close up really shows how the mechanics of the ejectors work, many thanks.

The ejectors on my cz 452 look crisp so the jams must have been the nut behind the trigger :lol:

.. I think I was being a little reserved with the rifle early on and am now finding a confident cycle of the bolt is the best way to avoid the issue.

Good luck with yours GN. I got the tri-MOA reticle in the Leupold but am sure with the clarity they’ll all do the job :thumbsup:

Hope the SK Rifle Match works well - they’re a greasy round (as are the RWS Rifle Match) so not sure if that’s something to look for in rounds that the CZ will shoot well.

One of the range officers said European rifles like European rounds (SK and RWS both originally from Germany?). Not sure if there’s any truth in that as CCI Standard (American) also shot well and I assume different types of ammo from the same manufacturer will shoot differently anyway.

I’m curious to try some ELEY (British?) and maybe Tikka/Sako (Finnish) soon :thumbsup:

No worries. One thing that is not fully explained in that thread is that on either side of the chamber, where the claws push in to extract the spent case, is an angle. The claws MUST match that same angle where they mate up, otherwise the metal on either side of the chamber will hold the claws off the case rim, which won't be able to get good purchase.

^ This will make sense if you look closely at the angled metal behind the chamber - you should be able to see a wear mark where the claw has been in contact with it, and that wear mark should be fairly even. On my old 452, the angles were wrong, and so I had to remove a small amount of metal on the extractor claw with some 600 grit so that the claw angle matched the chamber metal. This provided a snug fit which allowed the extractor claws to travel further inside and get right behind the case rim. I never had any extraction issues after that, no matter what sort of ammo I used. It is a common problem with CZs.

Eley ammo usually shoots well in CZs, but SK shot just that little bit more consistently for me.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by rookie » 17 Mar 2019, 8:52 pm

Thanks Flyer, I went to the range again today and again experienced extraction issues with CCI Standard. The range officer said exactly the same as you and we were shining light down the chamber to see if there was debris stopping the claws from getting in far enough. Talked about getting a bore snake as an option when the rifle starts doing things like this, etc.

The guy next to me, who was a bench shooter, also said CCI was a particularly dirty round. That it could be the different lubricants used by the different rounds compounding each other. Hence the bore snake and cleaning before trying new ammo (with the understanding that you might have to shoot 20-40 rounds before they start shooting consistent with the new ammo after cleaning). Maybe that the different rounds used have different rim tolerances or could also be their “head space”, etc.

At the end of the day, the new ammo I tried today: Federal Champion seemed more consistent than the CCI Standard and ELEY Sport was awesome. I’m going to have to try a couple others of ELEY but glad the cheapest (sport) went well. RWS Rifle Match also didn’t have extraction issues.

I’ve got about 150 of the CCI Standard left and I won’t get any more of these and I’ll see if it avoids extraction issues in future.
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Mar 2019, 1:27 pm

I thought eley standard in 500 box was the cheapest. Well it actually shoots quite well in.my cz.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 18 Mar 2019, 3:07 pm

rookie wrote:Thanks Flyer, I went to the range again today and again experienced extraction issues with CCI Standard. The range officer said exactly the same as you and we were shining light down the chamber to see if there was debris stopping the claws from getting in far enough. Talked about getting a bore snake as an option when the rifle starts doing things like this, etc.

The guy next to me, who was a bench shooter, also said CCI was a particularly dirty round. That it could be the different lubricants used by the different rounds compounding each other. Hence the bore snake and cleaning before trying new ammo (with the understanding that you might have to shoot 20-40 rounds before they start shooting consistent with the new ammo after cleaning). Maybe that the different rounds used have different rim tolerances or could also be their “head space”, etc.

At the end of the day, the new ammo I tried today: Federal Champion seemed more consistent than the CCI Standard and ELEY Sport was awesome. I’m going to have to try a couple others of ELEY but glad the cheapest (sport) went well. RWS Rifle Match also didn’t have extraction issues.

I’ve got about 150 of the CCI Standard left and I won’t get any more of these and I’ll see if it avoids extraction issues in future.

You may find that some US ammo has a slightly thicker rim than the Euro and Aussie .22 ammo. But once you know the problem, it's an easy fix.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by rookie » 19 Mar 2019, 8:43 am

Ziad wrote:I thought eley standard in 500 box was the cheapest. Well it actually shoots quite well in.my cz.

Thanks Ziad, I didn’t realise there was a cheaper option. I was just getting the ammo from the range counter (it was a Sunday) in boxes of 50 rounds. The “sport” was the cheapest ELEY they had, followed closely by “club”.

Interestingly the range prices weren’t (I think) making a lot of margin at $10.50 for the ELEY Sport whilst a 500 round brick of the same at the nearby LGS is listed at $110. Just that a guy where I work said he avoids buying ammo at the range he goes to .. I don’t feel the need to.

Flyer wrote:You may find that some US ammo has a slightly thicker rim than the Euro and Aussie .22 ammo.

Thanks Flyer. I was forming this suspicion as I was oicking them out :thumbsup:

Going to move on to some hollow points next. Any suggestions?

Highland High Impact RX seems readily available? I was also looking at the Winchester Power-Point 1320fps 42gr HP?

Should I stay away from the Winchester copper plated?

Cheers,
Mick
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 19 Mar 2019, 4:34 pm

I love the Winchester 40gr Power Points - and so did my 452. It shot better than the 42gr PP. I set a metallic silhouette club record with 40gr PP and a 452, so I would definitely recommend giving it a try. Just remember to put a few rounds through it first before you try grouping it. Most 22s won't shoot new ammo until you've put half a box or so through them. The PPs have a waxy coating compared to SK, which is very oily, or Eley, which is a bit drier. You need to coat the bore to get consistency. Don't give up on a box of ammo until you have shot the lot and seen what it will do.

The other hollow point I recommend is Eley high velocity hollow point (brown box). It can be a little bit more expensive than Winchester, but is very accurate.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Flyer » 19 Mar 2019, 4:37 pm

CCI Velocitor should get a mention, too, as it can be very accurate in the right rifle. My mate has a Brno and it really likes Velocitors. The only downside is it is expensive and can be hard to find.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Gun nut. » 23 Mar 2019, 10:00 am

Finally got some range time in yesterday with my 452 varmint. Conditions were near perfect with a sunny afternoon with almost no wind. I'm still waiting on SK rifle match ammo to come in at my gun shop so my ammo used was CCI mini mags , CCI standard, WIN power points and federal champion , all were 40 grns. Pics are the 3 best groups for the session out of 10 5 shots groups. These groups were great but group consistantly just wasn't happening. Worst groups were around 1 inch. CCI standard was not good. The trigger was the biggest let down. Very heavy with so much creep . I won't even bother shooting this rifle again until I get the yo-Dave trigger kit I have on order and some match grade ammo. But overall I'm happy with this CZ so far.
Pic 1 - CCI mini mags
Pic 2 - WIN PowerPoints
Pic 3 - Federal

url=https://postimages.org/]Image[/url]

CZ 527 .223 varmit
Tikka T3 .308
K98 .308
Norinco JW-25A .22
Brno no.2 .22

Coonan .357 semi-auto
Ruger GP100 .357
S&W 617-1 .22
S&W 686-3 8 3/8
Colt rail gun 1911 .22
Gun nut.
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 23 Mar 2019, 12:26 pm

So you only shot a couple of groups with each different type of ammo? That would likely explain the consistency issue.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Gun nut. » 23 Mar 2019, 1:47 pm

Sorry should have explained it better. I shot 10 5 shot groups with each ammo. Cheers.
CZ 527 .223 varmit
Tikka T3 .308
K98 .308
Norinco JW-25A .22
Brno no.2 .22

Coonan .357 semi-auto
Ruger GP100 .357
S&W 617-1 .22
S&W 686-3 8 3/8
Colt rail gun 1911 .22
Gun nut.
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 24 Mar 2019, 3:07 pm

Ah, fair enough. The minimag group doesn't look too bad. I use them in my Winchester 9422. My old 452 also liked most Federal ammo. You're always going to have a little bit of inconsistency with 22 hunting ammo as what you're paying for with the more expensive match ammo is tighter tolerances and less inconsistency. I don't know if you've tried the SK yet, but I don't know many (if any) Brn/CZ rifles that don't like it.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Diamond Jim » 04 Apr 2019, 1:27 am

A lot of the USA based advice talks about an "ACE #144 spring" or similar for 20 cents or such. I have no idea where to source something like that. I don't have an ACE Hardware store in Western Australia. I do know the Yo-Dave kit was the best $18 I've ever spent on a firearm improvement - ever! Even if I only actually used, maybe, $2 of actual parts in the kit. It completely transformed my rifle from "meh" to "wow!".
YMMV, JIm
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 13 Apr 2019, 3:13 am

Agree with Flyer, it's not the trigger weight so much as the gritty creep I had in the "take up" phase of the trigger pull. Eliminating that creep completely changed the rifle. That said, many don't have that issue and have great triggers out of the box. I wasn't so lucky but I was able to fix the issue cheaply and with minimal effort and skills. YMMV
In any case CZ are the best value rifles for the money in my humble opinion.That's why I bought more in different calibres.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles