A Newbie's Review - Webley and Scott Exocet 22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

A Newbie's Review - Webley and Scott Exocet 22lr

Post by CrackThump » 24 Mar 2019, 10:10 am

After literally a millenia, I got home last Thursday to fresh PTA's in my letterbox so I bashed on down to my LGS to pick up the Webley & Scott .22 he's been holding for me for the last 8 weeks. .. Then wait another millenia for Saturday to get here.. I boot off up to the property Im shooting on to finally put some brass in the new toy.

So, I have to say I'm impressed, after the unboxing on Thursday night, the only thing I had to supply was my own bipod. I love that it comes standard with 2 10shot magazines. The rifle is budget end at $650 with a 3-9 x 40 Nikko Stirling scope already mounted, the action is kinda stiff, as is the safety catch, but even after maybe 75 rounds through it on Saturday its starting to smooth up a bit... or maybe Im just being a bit rougher with it lol. Although its synthetic and feels light and fluffy, it doesnt feel like it will suffer from a little manhandling.

Photos attached of groupings at 50mtrs, in my opinion it IS as good as the advertising hype, it shoots straight and cycled flawlessly 100% of the time with all 3 ammo types I tried through it.

Groupings at 50mtrs were nice, and I have no doubt this rifle will group tighter as my skill increases, and plinking at steel targets at 50mtrs rang the bell every time too.

Later in the day the landowner took me around the property and she bagged 6 wallaby and a rabbit at various ranges from 40-100 mtrs with no problems at all, clean shots every time

I get the overall feeling this rifle is a fekking gem. :) maybe not the finest target competition rifle, but a blood good one to learn on, a good paddock rifle and a whole heapin helpin o' fun to boot..

And come on.... its just a LITTLE bit sexy yo. ? haha
Attachments
20190324_093107.jpg
20190324_093107.jpg (599.5 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
20190323_143649.jpg
20190323_143649.jpg (705.21 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
20190323_142401.jpg
20190323_142401.jpg (615.86 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
20190323_142340.jpg
20190323_142340.jpg (618.66 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
20190323_134315.jpg
20190323_134315.jpg (660.23 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
20190323_143147.jpg
20190323_143147.jpg (365.16 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Re: A Newbie's Review - Webley and Scott Exocet 22lr

Post by Mattraff » 24 Mar 2019, 3:09 pm

Good stuff, now the fun begins trying all the different rounds to see what it likes best. My favorite ammo is CCI subsonic as all my rifles like it. I am yet to see one in the flesh but the bolt looks like a CZ copy of sorts. Although it may be budget priced at $650 scoped it is made in Germany by GSG so should be decent.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 24 Mar 2019, 3:28 pm

cci mini mags are a good bunny round ,the highland seems to throw a flyer a bit too often for my liking ,,its black so yes its a bit sexy :lol:
try some sk standard/match ,good on paper not so much on bunnys unless you head shoot them all the time as they tend to pencil a bit or not give enough shock to stop them running (where i shoot if they move three feet they're gone) we will be expecting some hunting reports from you now :clap: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by CrackThump » 25 Mar 2019, 7:59 pm

The club I shoot at now supplies CCI as club ammo when I was going through my approval procees, so I guess it must be decent. :) going to have to get me a few boxes..

As for hunting reports... As long as I dont have to confess how many rounds I used for each hit. hahaha
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Riplock » 31 May 2023, 2:10 pm

I bought one of these a couple of months ago..
Absolutely awesome accuracy for a 22lr.
I've owned 4 other 22lr over the years and have been rather disappointed with the calibre.

This new rifle has certainly changed my opinion of this calibres accuracy. Unbelievable is the word that comes to mind..

In saying that I have just started getting misfires rather too regularly.. so going to have to isolate the problem...
Riplock
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by joneda1 » 11 Jun 2023, 8:05 am

Riplock wrote:I bought one of these a couple of months ago..
Absolutely awesome accuracy for a 22lr.
I've owned 4 other 22lr over the years and have been rather disappointed with the calibre.

This new rifle has certainly changed my opinion of this calibres accuracy. Unbelievable is the word that comes to mind..

In saying that I have just started getting misfires rather too regularly.. so going to have to isolate the problem...

I just posted this on another Xocet thread but this one has more recent activity so I will repeat the post here.

I'm considering this Xocet as my first 22 in many years after finally getting my licence. There is a guy commenting on several reviews who shouts loudly about this rifle and a problem with the safety. Apparently, if you have the rifle loaded, apply the safety and then pull the trigger there is a problem where the gun will fire once the safety is released. Maybe that's a silly thing to do but it is conceivable that it would happen.

Can you confirm if this is the behaviour of the rifle as it would be a bit of a deal breaker for me - I don't want a rifle if it fires any time other than when I pull the trigger. Also, does yours have the "skeleton" trigger? I read somewhere that Xocet had released an updated version of the rifle and maybe they have changed this safety behaviour alongside some other changes.

See the comment from jamie johnson on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XUF2PsI0-U
joneda1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles