Ruger american hmr17

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger american hmr17

Post by simpsonhey » 30 Mar 2019, 12:18 pm

Ok so i have a ruger american hmr17. Shoots flat and is a nice action. Problem it wont eject the cartridge prob 9/10 times tried 4 types off ammo and no good. Has anyone had similer problem and can it be fixed
simpsonhey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Ruger american hmr17

Post by bladeracer » 30 Mar 2019, 2:15 pm

simpsonhey wrote:Ok so i have a ruger american hmr17. Shoots flat and is a nice action. Problem it wont eject the cartridge prob 9/10 times tried 4 types off ammo and no good. Has anyone had similer problem and can it be fixed

Eject or extract? Two different things.
Extraction is most likely a weak extractor, or perhaps a grubby chamber.
Ejection would probably be a bad ejector.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by simpsonhey » 30 Mar 2019, 4:39 pm

Ok so when i pull bolt back shell stays in chamber somd ate split but not all off them
simpsonhey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 Mar 2019, 1:55 pm

simpsonhey wrote:Ok so when i pull bolt back shell stays in chamber some ate split but not all off them

Okay, that's an extraction problem then.
All three of my Ruger Rimfires are in .22LR which runs pretty dirty. I strip both extractors off the bolt regularly and thoroughly clean them, and the bolt face to minimise problems. It's also worth polishing the chamber if you can, especially the front as that tends to get the dirtiest. I would expect the HMR with jacketed bullets to run cleaner, but if it's blowing cases it might be getting dirt in the extractors. Does the case always blow out in the same place in the chamber? Might be a burr or debris in there.

I swap all three bolts in all the three rifles. I have also swapped the extractors across the bolts when I've had extraction problems. What I've found is that I have one extractor that is flawless and _never_ fails to extract, in any bolt and any rifle. And two extractors that occasionally have extraction problems, in all three bolts and all three rifles. Inspecting all three extractors alongside each other with a 60-power loupe I can see no differences at all. I think I'm just going to order some new extractors from Ruger and see if that sorts it, if I get around to it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles