Repeating 22 for plinking

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Repeating 22 for plinking

Post by Dabi » 30 Mar 2019, 11:07 pm

Hi guys, first post here. Just submitted my A&B license 2 weeks ago here in Vic and been wanting to get into shooting for years. I'm a big firearm fan and got a thing for odd and historic firearms. For my first gun, considering my budget, definitely a 22lr, though I wouldn't mind spending a bit on the gun itself. I'm not a big fan of bolt actions for 22 as I don't really have the desire to get into competitive shooting and just wanna have fun. I had my eyes on the Alfa-Proj hunter and carbine as it's basically a long barreled revolver. I figured it would make a great plinking tool with the semi-semi auto capabilities in D/A, though what concerned me was it's loss of velocity compared to other 22s, which may affect it's killing potential for varmints. I'm now debating between the Alfa hunter, Henry pump 22 and Henry lever 22. What do you guys think is a good first pick for a fast cycling 22? And how does a revolver rifle, a lever action and a pump action compare?
large capacity fully auto military style assault flintlock
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Repeating 22 for plinking

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Mar 2019, 9:23 am

The Browning BL22 is a fun little lever action. You can hit stuff with it even if it is not as accurate as a bolt action.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by womble » 31 Mar 2019, 9:51 am

ruger 96/22 if you can find one.
or circuit judge 22/22wmr

Alfa-Proj, what a silly price
and a revolver held up to your cheek yeah naah
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Mar 2019, 9:54 am

Wow that's a strange looking gun... revolver
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Dabi » 31 Mar 2019, 9:59 am

good suggestions! I'll definitely look into the BL22. The Alfa in 22 shouldn't be as bad as the 357 version of itself, the circuit judge had some problems with rounds losing velocity, and I might only stick to new rifles at this point. Yea the price is a bit of a disappointment, just like the circuit judge really, but at least Alfa makes decent revolvers. I wonder if anyone has experience firing a revolving 22 rifle/carbine here and would provide some information on it. (ozziereviews did one on it but he didn't mention much about how it blows into the shooter's face, only the forearm)
I really like the look of it, though other levers and pumps are not out of the question. Or maybe a Savage A22R...
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Sawyers » 31 Mar 2019, 3:35 pm

Remington fieldmaster or a Browning bl 22 would be my choices for a plinker
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Mar 2019, 4:35 pm

G'day Dabi,
The BL22 has a brother, the Miroku ML22. They are the same rifle under different brand names, and are renowned for the short throw action which makes them about the quickest lever action rifle around. They are very accurate out to 100 meters and are able to take bunnies past that with a bit of care or a scope. Most pump action 22 rifles are also very quick and it is only personal choice between them. Revolving rifles were an advantage over the single shot when they were introduced in the 1850's but have never been common since the reliable lever actions of the 1860's from Henry and Winchester came along. They are still limited by capacity compared to the tube mag pump and levers, and are more prone to wearing parts over time. (A fairly long time admittedly, but my 112 year old Winchester pump still shoots great)
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Archie » 31 Mar 2019, 4:46 pm

I have a BL22 and love it. The only two things I don't like about it (and they are both small issues)
- It doesn't have a proper safety. I tend not to use safetys on bold actions anyway, I just keep the bolt up, but on a lever action I'd prefer it. Because the hammer is exposed its not necessary but its just a bugbear of mine.
- Along similar lines, the way it reloads is via a tube magazine that pops out the front. The good thing about this tube mag is you can shoot any 22 caliber (i.e. 22lr, but also 22 short etc. Although I kind of doubt anyone does anything other than 22lr.) The bad thing is more often than not you tend to pass your hand over the muzzle while you're reloading.

Again, these are really small issues and its probably just me. The short lever throw is awesome, they are surprisingly accurate, lots of fun and its the sort of thing you'll hand down to your kids.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 31 Mar 2019, 5:43 pm

If you don’t mind spending a bit on your first love, I’d have a marlin 39a over the browning as far as lever .22’s go.
Also have a look at the browning T-bolt.
A mate of mine bought one in left hand even though he is right handed. He has heaps of fun cycling it with his left hand which makes it very fast.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 31 Mar 2019, 6:53 pm

womble wrote: and a revolver held up to your cheek yeah naah

Chicks dig scars? :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Dabi » 31 Mar 2019, 8:31 pm

Thanks y'all. I had a look at a few of these that I haven't heard of before, all great looking guns. Though I'm guilty of my quirk fetish, might still end up grabbing the long barreled revolver just cause of how much I love its looks :d. I'm considering the remington 572 for a second 22 or one of those levers. Also does anyone have experience with the Chiappa take down lever 22s?
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 01 Apr 2019, 2:29 am

No question in my mind - Browning Trombone. Beautiful little pump action .22LR. Well built, accurate for the intended purpose and a joy to use.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 01 Apr 2019, 8:43 am

Somebody already mentioned it, but what about the new (well not so new now) savage A22RF? I'm sure that would be a hoot to plink with...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 01 Apr 2019, 11:54 pm

I'm old and stupid. I see BL22 mentioned and the Mirokou equivalent. I'm talking about the old pump-action Browning that has been copied by Rossi or similar. The Browning version is smooth as grease through a goose.
One would be high on my list if I ever found a good one for sale at the right price.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by cracker » 02 Apr 2019, 3:03 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:No question in my mind - Browning Trombone. Beautiful little pump action .22LR. Well built, accurate for the intended purpose and a joy to use.

agree, still havent found a 22lr quite as nice, praise be john browning.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2019, 7:26 pm

Left of field question - pump action vs lever action or straight pull - is one more inherently accurate than the other?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2019, 7:27 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Left of field question - pump action vs lever action or straight pull - is one more inherently accurate than the other?

I think it comes down to whether anything is attached to the barrel, and how the barrel is attached to the receiver. Tube mags tend to degrade accuracy I think.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FNQ » 02 Apr 2019, 8:22 pm

A22 is a fun gun
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mattraff » 11 Apr 2019, 10:24 am

I'd go a lever, nice traditional look and quick. The Browning BL is a well finished quality rifle but all I have shot and looked at in the shops had ridiculously heavy triggers. The Henry has a powder coated alloy receiver that does not fair well over time. My choice would be a second hand Winchester 9422 if you can find one in great condition at a reasonable price, I looked for 12 month's and gave up. In the end I bought a Chinese Norinco JW21 as it is a copy of the 9422 and is all steel except for the but plate and magazine follower, it is a great plunked and fantastic to teach the kids how to shoot open sights. It only cost $480 new and is my go to rifle for a quick walk for a rabbit or a bit of fun in the paddock. I have 3 other and soon to be 4 much more expensive. 22's but the cheap Norinco is just as much fun and I wouldn't cry if it got a scratch on it.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles