First rifle (air) - Decisions decisions....

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

First rifle (air) - Decisions decisions....

Post by elnino » 05 Apr 2019, 6:16 pm

Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing my first rifle (Air).

Looking at .177 and want it mainly for Pigeons, starlings and plinking/target at close ish range ~20m or less.

I'm not necessarily looking for a 'forever' rifle, just something to get started so on the cheaper end. No PCP, CO2 or 'pump'

After doing some reading, I think I would prefer a Nitrogen piston type but are these too new to know how much longevity to expect from them?

The LGS suggested a BSA Meteor EVO at about $350 but it's a springer - The GRT version is about $480 which is probably more than I wanted to spend but it is a good quality rifle by the looks.

For the price point, the Crosman Shockwave NP looks ok but in general, Crosman seem to have some gripes looking at reviews - Trigger, plasticky etc.

At the moment I feel like I'm at a compromise between a 'cheaper' Nitrogen piston rifle or a better quality springer - What would you do?
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: First rifle (air) - Decisions decisions....

Post by Blr243 » 05 Apr 2019, 6:40 pm

The last words of the post were ....what would you do? I would buy a 22 rifle. Otherwise to me it just sounds like lots of wounded birds
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2019, 6:50 pm

elnino wrote:Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing my first rifle (Air).

Looking at .177 and want it mainly for Pigeons, starlings and plinking/target at close ish range ~20m or less.

I'm not necessarily looking for a 'forever' rifle, just something to get started so on the cheaper end. No PCP, CO2 or 'pump'

After doing some reading, I think I would prefer a Nitrogen piston type but are these too new to know how much longevity to expect from them?

The LGS suggested a BSA Meteor EVO at about $350 but it's a springer - The GRT version is about $480 which is probably more than I wanted to spend but it is a good quality rifle by the looks.

For the price point, the Crosman Shockwave NP looks ok but in general, Crosman seem to have some gripes looking at reviews - Trigger, plasticky etc.

At the moment I feel like I'm at a compromise between a 'cheaper' Nitrogen piston rifle or a better quality springer - What would you do?

I bought my second air-rifle this year, after buying my first in 1980.
I was as lost as you sound, but I ended up with a Crosman Slayer .177 Nitro springer and I'm pretty happy with it. It's rated at 18ft-lbs and seems to hit pretty hard, but if you want to shoot birds I would use a .22LR. The air-rifle is decently accurate, but it's loud, .22LR is more accurate, has much longer range, and the high-end hunting pellets are more expensive than .22LR ammo. Try .22LR CCI Quiet 710fps, very quiet.

The scope on the Crosman is absolute garbage, and I think that's the case with all the lower-priced air-rifle packages, so expect to be buying a scope as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ausmade » 05 Apr 2019, 9:01 pm

elnino wrote:Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing my first rifle (Air).

There is a second hand Weirauch HW35 with scope in SA for $290 on used guns. I can't say I have ever read a bad review about Weirauch.
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by elnino » 06 Apr 2019, 6:50 am

At the moment 22LR is not an option. I hadn't really considered second hand but I guess I'll consider it.

I have a good scope already.
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Apr 2019, 7:42 pm

If you like air rifles check out Matt Dubber on Youtube, Air Arms Hunting SA. My favourite South African.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by elnino » 06 Apr 2019, 7:58 pm

I have seen many of his videos, I also follow Ted's Holdover which isn't too bad either.
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Apr 2019, 8:10 pm

Yes both guys give good information about shooting birds, I like Matts descriptions and his photography is excellent
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by magnum012 » 06 Apr 2019, 10:17 pm

I never had any problem killing pest birds with a .177 when I was a kid, as long as it’s a fairly powerful air rifle it will hit them hard enough.
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by wildcard6 » 07 Apr 2019, 2:59 pm

Diana 340 N-Tec .22 cal is around the low $400 mark. Very accurate with H&N Terminator pellets in mine. I have observed the effect of .177 pellets on pigeons compared to .22 and the bigger diameter pellets hit much harder, despite the lower velocity. The .177s have the tendency to 'ice-pick' pigeons [shoots straight through them and they fly off to die elsewhere]. Diana says that their triggers are FANTASTIC, but I have never been able to adjust mine to get any better than what I call a GLOCK trigger. It has a longish, spongy first stage then POP, off it goes. It is quite useable, but it takes a little getting used to. I have mine sighted in a 25m and it shoots basically flat from 10 to 25m, so that works on pest birds. I've shot one rabbit with it [head shot] and it killed it no problems. I like the gas-ram system very much, and as far as longevity goes, I expect it to outlast my need for an air rifle, at minimum. Another upside to N-Tec is that you don't need to be concerned about leaving it cocked for extended periods, unlike spring guns. The cocking effort on mine is QUITE high, but then you get one heck of a wallop out of it, so it's worth it. Whichever brand you choose, I would definitely recommend gas-ram over springers.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Zappa » 07 Apr 2019, 4:33 pm

Im also in the same boat as the OP looking for.my first air rifle.

Good post by wildcard6 but I'm genuinely interested where I can pick up a Diana NTEC 340 .22 for $400 . They're advertised as $650.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by elnino » 07 Apr 2019, 6:02 pm

I went to the lgs and shouldered a few they had there. They had a BSA Meteor and a Diana 31 that was around what i was looking for.

I preferred the Diana for options - it had a better rail, sights and safety than the BSA but came in at about $420. The BSA about 350. The downside was the texture on the composite stock seemed quite harsh and the trigger guard is moulded into the stock.

I'm not sure on durability but I feel I would prefer a repacable trigger guard for that price. Or is that just normal??

Now on my radar is the BSA Comet Evo GRT which basically seems the same as the Meteor but with composite stock and the nitrogen piston. It appears to come in about the same cost as the Meteor. As cheap as $325 online (although I suspect that is incorrectly priced)

I did really like the Diana but the harshness of the front grip really put me off.

Being a newcommer to the sport and working in a technical field, what i find quite frustrating when it comes to firearms is that there is very little information available to compare products objectively - Most sites (even manufacturers) only list basic specs and are not even consistent between models of the same brand. Not only that, most pictures of them are barely legible - no high res images to properly see detail.

It means we end up making comparisons from YouTube reviews.
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by elnino » 13 Apr 2019, 9:07 am

Well I ended up getting a S/H Gamo CFX in .22 relatively cheap. It's only a couple of years old and in good condition.

It's a springer but I discovered that there is a company here in Aus that sells a nitrogen piston conversion kit for it for just over $50 shipped so that well and truly meets my preferred spec and comes in under my budget!

Now just to wait the mandatory 28 days for first PTA...
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Zappa » 13 Apr 2019, 2:07 pm

elnino wrote:Well I ended up getting a S/H Gamo CFX in .22 relatively cheap. It's only a couple of years old and in good condition.

well done. Lots of ppl love their underlever actions and there are a few advantages over the break barrels. I like the ol' break barrel, personally.
That's good info on the co thats sells the retrofit nitro pistons. I'll look them up.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 14 Apr 2019, 9:56 am

elnino wrote:..... I discovered that there is a company here in Aus that sells a nitrogen piston conversion kit for it for just over $50 shipped so that well and truly meets my preferred spec and comes in under my budget!.... .

Details?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by elnino » 14 Apr 2019, 10:05 am

elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 14 Apr 2019, 10:13 am

Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles