Think I'll be cleaning my .22 from my on

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Think I'll be cleaning my .22 from my on

Post by Lorgar » 06 Feb 2014, 2:03 pm

Everyone knows the 'should you ever clean your .22' debate and people complaining about accuracy drop off after cleaning their 22. and needing to put a dozen rounds through it before consistent accuracy returns.

According to the Anschütz manual for my 1416 I should clean it once after the first 1,000 rounds, then one every 5,000 rounds. For all intents and purposes every 5,000 rounds might as well be never cleaning it for most people...

Straight from the horses mouth but I don't seem to be seeing the results expected.

On the debate of cleaning or not, for the last 8 visits to the range I did 4 visits shooting with a clean barrel, followed by 4 shoots with a dirty barrel.

All shooting with the same ammo, doing 75 - 150 round per trip to the range and the clean barrel is consistently working better for me.

Dirty barrel, I'm getting decent groups with varying spread from the start, all the way through the day without any change. Groups size tends to be due to shots stringing out

Clean and cold bore, I'm getting my best groups straight off the bat. Average groups shot fresh are consistently a few mm smaller than average dirty barrel groups and group shape is round instead of shots stringing out.

Won't be the same for everyone, but just sharing the experience for anyone interested in whether or not to clean their .22. Might be worth you're time trying yourself rather than rely on popular opinion.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Think I'll be cleaning my .22 from my on

Post by Elek » 07 Feb 2014, 1:54 pm

I saw your groups in the range report you posted for your Anschutz.

Definitely can't complain with the clean results, regardless of what your book says...
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Westy » 19 Feb 2014, 6:55 am

I've got a 1712 and it sure shoots much better when it's clean.

As to my 1416, I clean them every time after I shoot 'em! Just can't bring myself to put a dirty rifle back in the safe?

LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Aster » 19 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm

Westy wrote:Just can't bring myself to put a dirty rifle back in the safe?

I'm the same.

I know the 'why' for not cleaning them, but it grates on my nerves to leave them dirty :lol:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Antie » 19 Feb 2014, 3:18 pm

Elek wrote:Definitely can't complain with the clean results, regardless of what your book says...

Who cares what it says if it shoots better going against it ;)
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 19 Jul 2014, 3:48 pm

I watched my dad clean both of his guns every time he was going to put them away. He would shoot just about every weekend.

He'd come home, put the bunnies in the freezer, tack the fox pelts to the big gum tree out front and then sit down to clean his guns. Without fail, he'd do this and then lock them up. Next time he'd go shooting, he'd just take them out and off he'd go, never cleaning them beforehand. He reckoned you could over clean them which would cause damage.

Me, I think i'll probably clean mine when I bring it home from the shop, if nothing else but to learn a little more about it, and i'll clean it before and after. I'm still learning about all of this, so I have no idea what will seem appropriate or correct when the time comes.
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 19 Jul 2014, 3:55 pm

jennageit wrote:Me, I think i'll probably clean mine when I bring it home from the shop, if nothing else but to learn a little more about it, and i'll clean it before and after. I'm still learning about all of this, so I have no idea what will seem appropriate or correct when the time comes.

Cleaning it when you first get it is a good idea. They generally come out of the shop packed full of grease to preserve them and you want that gone before you shoot
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by harlow » 20 Jul 2014, 5:56 pm

jennageit wrote:I think i'll probably clean mine when I bring it home from the shop, if nothing else but to learn a little more about it,

Baldrick314 wrote:Cleaning it when you first get it is a good idea. They generally come out of the shop packed full of grease to preserve them and you want that gone before you shoot

Definitely clean it before shooting it for the first time.

Like Baldrick says... out of the box they don't have a fine layer of oil like you ran a cleaning patch through it. They look like someone blurted grease in with a caulking gun.

You need to clean that out or you can bulge your barrel.
Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 Rem
Savage Model 25 LVT .17HMR
harlow
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 20 Jul 2014, 5:57 pm

jennageit wrote:and i'll clean it before and after

I've stuck to cleaning mine after each shoot and it's still shooting better for it.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 24 Jul 2014, 11:11 am

That's what I'll be doing.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 24 Jul 2014, 3:50 pm

Got that license application in yet, Jenna? :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 24 Jul 2014, 6:43 pm

Not yet.

My back took a turn for the worse so I've been stuck in bed for the last week. I can manage to get out of bed for about 20 minutes a day at the moment. Next week (all going well), i'll submit it then, and then i'll be on my way!

Look out foxes!

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 25 Jul 2014, 9:45 am

Bugger.

Oh well, soon enough I suppose :)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria