Sportco 22’s anyone got one?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Sportco 22’s anyone got one?

Post by Chappo » 07 Apr 2019, 9:15 pm

Been offered a model 93s in pretty good nick. I'd put it in the good to very good catagory.
It’s a ten shot pump, rear site missing but everything else is there and all works well.
Anyone know much about them?
What year was it made?
What’s it worth?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Sportco 22’s anyone got one?

Post by Wombat » 08 Apr 2019, 9:38 pm

This site has a lot of info- http://www.sportco.org.au/history.htm
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chappo » 08 Apr 2019, 10:18 pm

Thanks wombat.
I’ve been through that one and all other sites I could find but can’t seem to get any info on the 93s pump 22.

I’d also love to hear some real world experiences from people who’ve owned them and other sportco .22’s

My mate doesn’t want heaps for it so maybe I should just buy it......
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 08 Apr 2019, 11:39 pm

Too late Chappo...its already sold mate...ive bought it cos you took too long...!!

Sportco's are good...there is atleast one fella on here i think could answer your questions sbout that model...hopefully he chimes in for you.

I grew up on a Sportco mod 63a...just a repeater 22lr--good little shooter that is still sitting in ol'mans safe...its lost so much blueing its got its own patina now...

Great Aussie made rifles.

Seriously...if you dont buy it, im interested... :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cracker » 09 Apr 2019, 4:02 pm

iv got a 71a and a 71s both shoot really well super reliable, chamber cci stingers and longer 22lrs stuff too.
the pump guns sell really fast so jump on one if you can.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hunter257 » 16 Apr 2019, 4:08 pm

I've got a sportco 62s and just waiting for the rego papers on a sportco 90 pump
great guns and great value, really enjoy shooting the 62s and cant wait to get my hands on the 90
if its a 93 and a shooter buy it, they are rare as chickens teeth and will resell very quickly
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 17 Apr 2019, 8:53 am

I have been chasing one of these for ages, jump on it I say. If you want more info some of the american collectors over at rimfirecentral.com have these. They might even be useful for parts trading should you need to. I also knew a gunstore in SE qld who had a lot of parts for the sportco pumps. Will try and dig it up.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Apr 2019, 12:08 pm

I'm L.H. and had a 93 pump; a great rifle, box mag., ideal for spotlighting and quick follow up shot . But that was many moons ago. :?:

On second thoughts, could have been a 90; one of the first models. My 1st Sportco was a semi auto, had a bit of trouble with ammo - rims too thick and wouldn't chamber some brands. Could be used as a repeater by pushing in a thing on the "breach block". My youngest brother had a 22 Sportco Martini as well.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by N.Field » 18 Apr 2019, 2:27 pm

Never had one of the magazine fed Sportcos but I do have this .22. They were converted from surplus Cadets by Sportco and available in .22, .22 Hornet, .218 Bee and .25-20.

N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chappo » 19 Apr 2019, 10:15 am

Thanks all. I didn’t realise they were that hard to come by.

Stix. I’m afraid it is too late, once again I was too indecisive and ol’ mate has decided to hold on to it for a while.
I will keep harassing him though until he gives in.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Apr 2019, 1:49 pm

++1, love the Martini stand too.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Hunter257 » 19 Apr 2019, 9:10 pm

Just picked up my 90
Loving it already
Now need to feed a couple of mags through it to site it in
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 19 Apr 2019, 9:33 pm

Nice one!
Gis a look then....
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hunter257 » 26 Apr 2019, 2:18 pm

hopefully this picture loads,
blueing is thin but cycles well and got given a period scope by the LGS I picked it up from. A 4x15 Hakko with mount
sportco901.jpg
sportco901.jpg (87.5 KiB) Viewed 9594 times
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 26 Apr 2019, 6:48 pm

Looks pretty good hunter.
In about the same condition as the one I’m trying to acquire.
The 93s though has a different forend. It’s wider and has a flatter underside.

Mine is also missing the front site hood and rear site.

Do you mind me asking what kind of money?
Don’t answer that one if you don’t want to....
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 26 Apr 2019, 8:26 pm

Hunter257 wrote:hopefully this picture loads,
blueing is thin but cycles well and got given a period scope by the LGS I picked it up from. A 4x15 Hakko with mount
sportco901.jpg

mad, love it.
wonder if it uses semi auto mags because they are easy enough to find.
enjoy !
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hunter257 » 27 Apr 2019, 12:17 pm

Chappo wrote:Looks pretty good hunter.
In about the same condition as the one I’m trying to acquire.
The 93s though has a different forend. It’s wider and has a flatter underside.

Mine is also missing the front site hood and rear site.

Do you mind me asking what kind of money?
Don’t answer that one if you don’t want to....

Then if its in this condition get it!
Yes but I believe its only the front end wood for the pump slide that's different.
Shame about the sites, they are very hard to find. the receivers grooved though so you can fit a scope

Don't mind answering that , paid $325 including postage which was a steal.
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Hunter257 » 27 Apr 2019, 12:22 pm

cracker wrote:
Hunter257 wrote:hopefully this picture loads,
sportco901.jpg

mad, love it.
wonder if it uses semi auto mags because they are easy enough to find.
enjoy !

no only uses Sportco mags, model 1. There are two models of mags which have the latch point in different places.
the model 2s were only used on the Winchester 320s made by Sportco and the Sportco equivalent model.
everything else uses model 1, so same mag as my Sportco 62s.

So if you're talking about a Sportco semi auto mag as long as it's not from a 66d or 66s then yes it will fit
here's a handy list of which mag fits which model
http://www.sportco.org.au/magazine-types.htm
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Hunter257 » 27 Apr 2019, 12:24 pm

here's a picture I found of a 90 or 93 that's had a tacticool upgrade
Attachments
DOUBLE-R-CUSTOM-H-146-Graphite-Black-H-234-Sniper-Grey-and-C-110-Micro-Slick-Dry-Film-Coating-47090-full.jpg
DOUBLE-R-CUSTOM-H-146-Graphite-Black-H-234-Sniper-Grey-and-C-110-Micro-Slick-Dry-Film-Coating-47090-full.jpg (212.96 KiB) Viewed 10853 times
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 27 Apr 2019, 10:40 pm

no only uses Sportco mags, model 1. There are two models of mags which have the latch point in different places.
the model 2s were only used on the Winchester 320s made by Sportco and the Sportco equivalent model.
everything else uses model 1, so same mag as my Sportco 62s.

So if you're talking about a Sportco semi auto mag as long as it's not from a 66d or 66s then yes it will fit
here's a handy list of which mag fits which model
http://www.sportco.org.au/magazine-types.htm[/quote]

good website i really like the sportco stuff always looking out.

iv managed to find get a hold of 3x10 round mags and one x 20round not that you can use the 20.

is the bolt action mag the same as the semi auto?

love to put the pump sportco against the browning trombone, think the mag fed gun would be sweet, but not sure how smooth the sportco action is compared.

i was under the impression that the sportco stuff was kinda cheap and not that exciting... until i had my 91 sportco timber stock and the guy at the range had is full ar15 taticool ruger 10/22... and it did the same as mine did for about twice the weight and alot more cost.

high on the list is the pump and bolt gun...or even of the old sportco shotguns few and far between.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 27 Apr 2019, 10:40 pm

Hunter257 wrote:here's a picture I found of a 90 or 93 that's had a tacticool upgrade

thats horrible.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hunter257 » 28 Apr 2019, 4:30 pm

cracker wrote:
Hunter257 wrote:here's a picture I found of a 90 or 93 that's had a tacticool upgrade

thats horrible.

would have to agree with you there
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Hunter257 » 28 Apr 2019, 4:40 pm

cracker wrote:good website i really like the sportco stuff always looking out.

iv managed to find get a hold of 3x10 round mags and one x 20round not that you can use the 20.

is the bolt action mag the same as the semi auto?

love to put the pump sportco against the browning trombone, think the mag fed gun would be sweet, but not sure how smooth the sportco action is compared.

i was under the impression that the sportco stuff was kinda cheap and not that exciting... until i had my 91 sportco timber stock and the guy at the range had is full ar15 taticool ruger 10/22... and it did the same as mine did for about twice the weight and alot more cost.

high on the list is the pump and bolt gun...or even of the old sportco shotguns few and far between.

Yep unless they're off a model 66 or a Winchester then they're a type 1
got a chance to run a couple of mags through it today, and yes great action
I got a Sportco 62S with a wooden stock as my first gun and still have it. Love the Sportco stuff, just good guns.
And cheap too, you can get a very good bolt gun cheap @$350 with scope
and have a Sportco 308 single feed that I'm selling for a mate
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Davo55 » 08 Jan 2020, 7:31 am

I got one for christmas back in about 1968 and put a Tasco 4x28 scope on it being a kid i had great eye sight and that was like me having a high power scope now in old age head shot rabbits at 22Lr ranges reliably,That Sportco pump was ahead of its time with a clip magazine and it shot really accurate I've never had a better 22 Lr since and Ive had a lot of 22s if it wasn't it being stolen from the back of my Panel van when i was 19yrs old I would still be using it I have looked for another so many times but have never found one so settled on a Sportco bolt 63A ( I have a new Lithgo and many other rifles but love sportcos ) ,But my pump rifle never ever jammed and as I said it was very accurate mine did not have groves cut in the for end like a gallery gun and looked more modern .Sadly don't think I will ever find another the same .
Davo55
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jan 2020, 1:35 pm

Davo55 wrote:I got one for christmas back in about 1968 and put a Tasco 4x28 scope on it being a kid i had great eye sight and that was like me having a high power scope now in old age head shot rabbits at 22Lr ranges reliably,That Sportco pump was ahead of its time with a clip magazine and it shot really accurate I've never had a better 22 Lr since and Ive had a lot of 22s if it wasn't it being stolen from the back of my Panel van when i was 19yrs old I would still be using it I have looked for another so many times but have never found one so settled on a Sportco bolt 63A ( I have a new Lithgo and many other rifles but love sportcos ) ,But my pump rifle never ever jammed and as I said it was very accurate mine did not have groves cut in the for end like a gallery gun and looked more modern .Sadly don't think I will ever find another the same .

What sort of panel van did you have?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 08 Jan 2020, 2:34 pm

Feeling guilty scj...?... :unknown:
Something to say...?... :unknown:

:lol:
Just kidding mate... :)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Jan 2020, 2:42 pm

Davo55 wrote:I got one for christmas back in about 1968 and put a Tasco 4x28 scope on it being a kid i had great eye sight and that was like me having a high power scope now in old age head shot rabbits at 22Lr ranges reliably,That Sportco pump was ahead of its time with a clip magazine and it shot really accurate I've never had a better 22 Lr since and Ive had a lot of 22s if it wasn't it being stolen from the back of my Panel van when i was 19yrs old I would still be using it I have looked for another so many times but have never found one so settled on a Sportco bolt 63A ( I have a new Lithgo and many other rifles but love sportcos ) ,But my pump rifle never ever jammed and as I said it was very accurate mine did not have groves cut in the for end like a gallery gun and looked more modern .Sadly don't think I will ever find another the same .

63A is a nice little unit Davo55... :thumbsup:

I grew up on one of them...as with you & probably many of us,, as a young kid i had unbelievable eyesight, & by the time i was 13 i was head popping bunnys out to 100ish yards with the dlider sights never moved from tge 25 yd setting.

It still exists in the old mans ssfe...has bugger all blueing left on barrel & barely shoots an inch these days...
No chance i even fit behind the stock these days & so couldnt possibly shoot it without glass on top of it...

I oulled it out of its stock a few years back & i swear there was still plenty of my grime in there from 40 yrs sgo......the old mans a slacker like that...!!

Hopefully one day ill get my hands on it & shoot bunnys with it again...

Love to see a pic of yours... :)
Cheers
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jan 2020, 4:56 pm

Stix wrote:Feeling guilty scj...?... :unknown:
Something to say...?... :unknown:
:lol:
Just kidding mate... :)

Had a van myself, did a bit of entertaining.......
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Davo55 » 12 Jan 2020, 9:17 am

An XA Falcon Panel Van , which went down like a lead ballon with my boss as I was an apprentice panel beater in a Holden dealership in Tassie in those days.
Davo55
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2020, 10:20 am

Nice one, I had a XY myself. Hard working for the dark side being a true believer.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles