Sportco 22’s anyone got one?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Sportco 22’s anyone got one?

Post by Hunter257 » 27 Apr 2019, 12:24 pm

here's a picture I found of a 90 or 93 that's had a tacticool upgrade
Attachments
DOUBLE-R-CUSTOM-H-146-Graphite-Black-H-234-Sniper-Grey-and-C-110-Micro-Slick-Dry-Film-Coating-47090-full.jpg
DOUBLE-R-CUSTOM-H-146-Graphite-Black-H-234-Sniper-Grey-and-C-110-Micro-Slick-Dry-Film-Coating-47090-full.jpg (212.96 KiB) Viewed 10986 times
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 27 Apr 2019, 10:40 pm

no only uses Sportco mags, model 1. There are two models of mags which have the latch point in different places.
the model 2s were only used on the Winchester 320s made by Sportco and the Sportco equivalent model.
everything else uses model 1, so same mag as my Sportco 62s.

So if you're talking about a Sportco semi auto mag as long as it's not from a 66d or 66s then yes it will fit
here's a handy list of which mag fits which model
http://www.sportco.org.au/magazine-types.htm[/quote]

good website i really like the sportco stuff always looking out.

iv managed to find get a hold of 3x10 round mags and one x 20round not that you can use the 20.

is the bolt action mag the same as the semi auto?

love to put the pump sportco against the browning trombone, think the mag fed gun would be sweet, but not sure how smooth the sportco action is compared.

i was under the impression that the sportco stuff was kinda cheap and not that exciting... until i had my 91 sportco timber stock and the guy at the range had is full ar15 taticool ruger 10/22... and it did the same as mine did for about twice the weight and alot more cost.

high on the list is the pump and bolt gun...or even of the old sportco shotguns few and far between.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 27 Apr 2019, 10:40 pm

Hunter257 wrote:here's a picture I found of a 90 or 93 that's had a tacticool upgrade

thats horrible.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hunter257 » 28 Apr 2019, 4:30 pm

cracker wrote:
Hunter257 wrote:here's a picture I found of a 90 or 93 that's had a tacticool upgrade

thats horrible.

would have to agree with you there
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Hunter257 » 28 Apr 2019, 4:40 pm

cracker wrote:good website i really like the sportco stuff always looking out.

iv managed to find get a hold of 3x10 round mags and one x 20round not that you can use the 20.

is the bolt action mag the same as the semi auto?

love to put the pump sportco against the browning trombone, think the mag fed gun would be sweet, but not sure how smooth the sportco action is compared.

i was under the impression that the sportco stuff was kinda cheap and not that exciting... until i had my 91 sportco timber stock and the guy at the range had is full ar15 taticool ruger 10/22... and it did the same as mine did for about twice the weight and alot more cost.

high on the list is the pump and bolt gun...or even of the old sportco shotguns few and far between.

Yep unless they're off a model 66 or a Winchester then they're a type 1
got a chance to run a couple of mags through it today, and yes great action
I got a Sportco 62S with a wooden stock as my first gun and still have it. Love the Sportco stuff, just good guns.
And cheap too, you can get a very good bolt gun cheap @$350 with scope
and have a Sportco 308 single feed that I'm selling for a mate
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Davo55 » 08 Jan 2020, 7:31 am

I got one for christmas back in about 1968 and put a Tasco 4x28 scope on it being a kid i had great eye sight and that was like me having a high power scope now in old age head shot rabbits at 22Lr ranges reliably,That Sportco pump was ahead of its time with a clip magazine and it shot really accurate I've never had a better 22 Lr since and Ive had a lot of 22s if it wasn't it being stolen from the back of my Panel van when i was 19yrs old I would still be using it I have looked for another so many times but have never found one so settled on a Sportco bolt 63A ( I have a new Lithgo and many other rifles but love sportcos ) ,But my pump rifle never ever jammed and as I said it was very accurate mine did not have groves cut in the for end like a gallery gun and looked more modern .Sadly don't think I will ever find another the same .
Davo55
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jan 2020, 1:35 pm

Davo55 wrote:I got one for christmas back in about 1968 and put a Tasco 4x28 scope on it being a kid i had great eye sight and that was like me having a high power scope now in old age head shot rabbits at 22Lr ranges reliably,That Sportco pump was ahead of its time with a clip magazine and it shot really accurate I've never had a better 22 Lr since and Ive had a lot of 22s if it wasn't it being stolen from the back of my Panel van when i was 19yrs old I would still be using it I have looked for another so many times but have never found one so settled on a Sportco bolt 63A ( I have a new Lithgo and many other rifles but love sportcos ) ,But my pump rifle never ever jammed and as I said it was very accurate mine did not have groves cut in the for end like a gallery gun and looked more modern .Sadly don't think I will ever find another the same .

What sort of panel van did you have?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 08 Jan 2020, 2:34 pm

Feeling guilty scj...?... :unknown:
Something to say...?... :unknown:

:lol:
Just kidding mate... :)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Jan 2020, 2:42 pm

Davo55 wrote:I got one for christmas back in about 1968 and put a Tasco 4x28 scope on it being a kid i had great eye sight and that was like me having a high power scope now in old age head shot rabbits at 22Lr ranges reliably,That Sportco pump was ahead of its time with a clip magazine and it shot really accurate I've never had a better 22 Lr since and Ive had a lot of 22s if it wasn't it being stolen from the back of my Panel van when i was 19yrs old I would still be using it I have looked for another so many times but have never found one so settled on a Sportco bolt 63A ( I have a new Lithgo and many other rifles but love sportcos ) ,But my pump rifle never ever jammed and as I said it was very accurate mine did not have groves cut in the for end like a gallery gun and looked more modern .Sadly don't think I will ever find another the same .

63A is a nice little unit Davo55... :thumbsup:

I grew up on one of them...as with you & probably many of us,, as a young kid i had unbelievable eyesight, & by the time i was 13 i was head popping bunnys out to 100ish yards with the dlider sights never moved from tge 25 yd setting.

It still exists in the old mans ssfe...has bugger all blueing left on barrel & barely shoots an inch these days...
No chance i even fit behind the stock these days & so couldnt possibly shoot it without glass on top of it...

I oulled it out of its stock a few years back & i swear there was still plenty of my grime in there from 40 yrs sgo......the old mans a slacker like that...!!

Hopefully one day ill get my hands on it & shoot bunnys with it again...

Love to see a pic of yours... :)
Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jan 2020, 4:56 pm

Stix wrote:Feeling guilty scj...?... :unknown:
Something to say...?... :unknown:
:lol:
Just kidding mate... :)

Had a van myself, did a bit of entertaining.......
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Davo55 » 12 Jan 2020, 9:17 am

An XA Falcon Panel Van , which went down like a lead ballon with my boss as I was an apprentice panel beater in a Holden dealership in Tassie in those days.
Davo55
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2020, 10:20 am

Nice one, I had a XY myself. Hard working for the dark side being a true believer.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 3oldguns » 09 Oct 2021, 12:14 pm

I have a Sportco Model 61 and I am trying to find when they were manufactured but struggling to find any info on them at all! Plenty of info on the model 62 etc but not the 61.

Has anyone else got a 61?
3oldguns
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by kenny2021 » 12 Oct 2021, 11:57 am

Hi ..The M61 was first advertised in May 1961.. it had an improved trigger mechanism and wider sights over it's predecessor...
Check out my post on Slazenger and Sportco serial numbers...need number and prefix.
Ken.
kenny2021
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 3oldguns » 12 Nov 2021, 11:42 pm

Awesome will do, thanks Kenny2021
3oldguns
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Arctic » 13 Nov 2021, 12:31 pm

Just got hold of a model 43 single shot,but am missing the trigger...any information on where to find one would be very much appreciated.
Arctic
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by northdude » 13 Nov 2021, 12:57 pm

looking for some info on my sporty mod 73. The cap that screws onto the back of the action has a detent ball in it and clicks as you do it up. Is this also a preload adjuster for the recoil spring for different ammo? I was thinking maybe this is what its for as it doesn't just have a detent position for when its tight..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 13 Nov 2021, 12:58 pm

Arctic wrote:Just got hold of a model 43 single shot,but am missing the trigger...any information on where to find one would be very much appreciated.

Rebel's have a trigger, but comes with other spares for $190.
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/produc ... 22lr-25567

You need to know the original rifle these parts came from to determine compatibility.
If you can find pictures of the trigger, or even better, borrow one, any machinist can make you one if originality is less important than functionality.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Nov 2021, 1:01 pm

northdude wrote:looking for some info on my sporty mod 73. The cap that screws onto the back of the action has a detent ball in it and clicks as you do it up. Is this also a preload adjuster for the recoil spring for different ammo? I was thinking maybe this is what its for as it doesn't just have a detent position for when its tight..

Sounds like an Uzi or Sten barrel nut, which just use a ratchet to prevent the nut coming loose. Just tighten by hand and it locks in that position.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 13 Nov 2021, 1:19 pm

ok i thought it might be a preload adjuster. I got this one for next to nothing as it had been stored with a suppressor screwed on for a period of time and it rusted a lot of the barrel out so I cut it back a and rethreaded it ( we are allowed to do that here our selves) Its still over our legal length but being blow back I suspected it would upset the action but adjusting this nut got it to work properly.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 13 Nov 2021, 3:49 pm

northdude wrote:ok i thought it might be a preload adjuster. I got this one for next to nothing as it had been stored with a suppressor screwed on for a period of time and it rusted a lot of the barrel out so I cut it back a and rethreaded it ( we are allowed to do that here our selves) Its still over our legal length but being blow back I suspected it would upset the action but adjusting this nut got it to work properly.

We're still allowed to modify our firearms in most states as well, as long as we don't shorten them below the minimums.
It wasn't working properly before this? Maybe it was just loose before?
It's possible shortening the spring a mm or two might have an effect but it seems unlikely. What is thread pitch and how many additional turns were you able to tighten it?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 13 Nov 2021, 5:31 pm

I can get nearly 2.5 turns out of it. It functioned good before the chop you just couldn't hit anything with it as it was totally stuffed. I was thinking chopping the barrel back so much has altered the pressure as the bullet isn't in the barrel for very long now. I prefer not to chop springs and loosening the cap seems to work. Its a good little possum gun
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 13 Nov 2021, 5:33 pm

northdude wrote:I can get nearly 2.5 turns out of it. It functioned good before the chop you just couldn't hit anything with it as it was totally stuffed. I was thinking chopping the barrel back so much has altered the pressure as the bullet isn't in the barrel for very long now. I prefer not to chop springs and loosening the cap seems to work. Its a good little possum gun

Sounds like somebody left it loose then.
Yep, best not to cut springs unless you have a spare original :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 13 Nov 2021, 5:54 pm

ive loosened it to make it cycle properly. If I tighten it i think there's to much preload on the spring and it wont recock after firing a round probably due to the barrel being shortened to much and affecting back pressure
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles