Barrel life expectancy on a CZ453

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Barrel life expectancy on a CZ453

Post by Ecobogan » 09 Apr 2019, 8:27 am

Hi guys,
The CZ is my fave by a mile and is a truly great rifle. Reliable, beautifully made and tack drivingly accurate as they are famous for.
It's a 1990 model that had seen about 500 rds apparently when I got her and I've put through a lazy 6000+ in the last year.... it's a varmint barrel.
The bolt gets a good clean n lube pretty often and 22lr's like a dirty barrel so I run a patch through every couple of bricks as this what I was told.

Sound right? It hasn't lost accuracy at all just wondering how many rds left in the old girl. Also if this had been sorted out in another thread please let me know.
Cheers
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Barrel life expectancy on a CZ453

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Apr 2019, 8:36 am

Well looked after, without any mechanical damage by over-zealous cleaning, ( cleaning rods do more damage than lead bullets ), a quality .22 rimfire barrel is capable of firing 70,000+ rounds without appreciable wear.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Ecobogan » 09 Apr 2019, 8:47 am

Wow, thanks mate. 70k+....so mine's just run in!
Good to know thanks again
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Apr 2019, 1:50 pm

Ecobogan wrote:Wow, thanks mate. 70k+....so mine's just run in!

Ya great grandson might need to replace the barrel. Lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2019, 3:50 pm

Ecobogan wrote:Hi guys,
The CZ is my fave by a mile and is a truly great rifle. Reliable, beautifully made and tack drivingly accurate as they are famous for.
It's a 1990 model that had seen about 500 rds apparently when I got her and I've put through a lazy 6000+ in the last year.... it's a varmint barrel.
The bolt gets a good clean n lube pretty often and 22lr's like a dirty barrel so I run a patch through every couple of bricks as this what I was told.

Sound right? It hasn't lost accuracy at all just wondering how many rds left in the old girl. Also if this had been sorted out in another thread please let me know.
Cheers

A hell of lot more yet :-)
There was a competition shooter in the US that put more than a million rounds through his 10/22.
Outside of damage, a .22LR barrel easily has several lifetimes of use in it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 09 Apr 2019, 5:09 pm

There aren't many things that last a lifetime but a .22 barrel is one.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 10 Apr 2019, 9:13 am

bigrich wrote:
Ecobogan wrote:Wow, thanks mate. 70k+....so mine's just run in!

Ya great grandson might need to replace the barrel. Lol

I've actually led a kids less life so unless I get super frisky the CZ will have to go to someone else's grandkids.... reckon there'd be a taker somewhere!
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 12 Apr 2019, 8:55 pm

got some old sportco and gaverms 22lrs that have come off farms etc, they still shoot super well, no telling how many rounds went threw them, alot !
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 19 Apr 2019, 11:20 am

As one of the gents say, I think unecessary cleaning will do more to wear a 22LR barrel. I pull through to get the carbon out and thats about it.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Marchy » 19 Apr 2019, 8:49 pm

We had a pair of old BSA .22's on the farm growing up. Grandparents got them on discharge post WW2. To this day I'd almost guarantee they have never been cleaned in anyway. Still shoot better than me. Could probably do with some love as they misfire a bit more frequently these days but other than that good as gold.
Marchy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles