Decisions, decisions, decisions - air rifle choice

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions - air rifle choice

Post by ScottyD » 03 Dec 2019, 11:20 pm

Dagda wrote:Was quite into air rifles when I lived in uk,
In pcp i had a AirArms S410 in .22 great gun was a real good shooter,
I used it for target and hunting rabbits,
Loved it was in my eyes the best around,
If I was getting a air rifle it would be one of them,
(I think the AirArms510 is the current version which I haven’t shot)
Would give the guys at the gun room a call, have been there and found them really knowledgeable and would say they would clear up some of your questions ie postage and package deals

I'm also planning on getting into air rifles for 25m benchrest competition/10m indoor, as well as small pest control around the place and inside my shed (so .177 or .22)

I want to splash out for top shelf gear if possible (don't tell the wife :problem: ), my current short list consists of the obvious suspects:

Styer LG110
FX Impact
FX Dreamline
Air Arms S510
Weirauch HW100

How would you rate the Air Arms against this sort of company? I'd also welcome any and all comments/advice on these or any other options not yet on my list.

Cheers :)
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 04 Dec 2019, 9:29 am

I know some of the premium stuff involves a long lead time. Not many people stock this stuff to be able to look at or buy. I ordered an fx in August for late nov Dec delivery, rang the importer the other day and the shipment hasn't even left yet. Now looking at late Jan. :(

"Apparently"
Last edited by scoot on 05 Dec 2019, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by ScottyD » 04 Dec 2019, 8:04 pm

scoot wrote:I know some of the premium stuff involves a long lead time. Not many people stock this stuff to be able to look at or buy. I ordered an fx in August for late nov Dec delivery, rang the importer the other day and the shipment hasn't even left yet. Now looking at late Jan. :(

Yeah I'm starting to learn that. I was hoping to be able to try looking at and shouldering some of these rifles to narrow down the list, but I realise now that's probably not going to happen. :thumbsdown: I'll just have to keep pestering all you good folks for the drum :thumbsup:

BTW which FX are you going for?
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 04 Dec 2019, 8:59 pm

Ordered the dreamline tactical. Mainly just for s**ts and giggles, few pest birds, etc. I wanted something descent but not quite as serious as say an impact. After looking around the dreamline seemed to fit the bill best for me. Reasonably priced considering some of the other options.
I also considered a daystate and an air arms s510 but again no stock anywhere.
Not real sure of other models that would better suit competition style disciplines but i did come across several feinwerkbau and anzchutz target rifles on used gun sites, easily under $2000. Very serious looking units which may suit your needs.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by ScottyD » 05 Dec 2019, 12:34 am

scoot wrote:Ordered the dreamline tactical. Mainly just for s**ts and giggles, few pest birds, etc. I wanted something descent but not quite as serious as say an impact. After looking around the dreamline seemed to fit the bill best for me. Reasonably priced considering some of the other options.
I also considered a daystate and an air arms s510 but again no stock anywhere.
Not real sure of other models that would better suit competition style disciplines but i did come across several feinwerkbau and anzchutz target rifles on used gun sites, easily under $2000. Very serious looking units which may suit your needs.

Dreamline Tac, nice :thumbsup: I was also considering the Crown, as its a bit cheaper than the Impact but seems to still be very accurate/refined. I shot an FX Gladiator a while back, and was amazed at the quality of their stuff.

The Feinwerkbau & Anshutz are also fine candidates, shame all these top end air rifles are so expensive. It's looking like my air rifle is going to end up way more pricey than most of the rim & centrefire guns that I'm currently researching. Something tells me I'll probably be having to continue trawling the used sites, only problem is there then isn't any warranty. I'll just have to see if I can find a good gunsmith :problem:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles