Bench shooter 22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Bench shooter 22lr

Post by Queenfan59 » 02 May 2019, 10:43 pm

Hello everyone, i am new to this forum, need some advice, i would like to purchase a 22lr, looking at the lithgow la101, cz 457 , anschutz 64 mpr, the rifle will be primarily used for bench target shooting, i am not in a rifle club, nor do i shoot bullseye matches, just want something accurate, i have fired the cz 452 and 455, both shot accurately at 25 metres, maybe in the future i might take it hunting but 99 percent of the time it will be a bench rest gun, sorry if i dragged this on a bit, hope it makes sense, any advice would be most appreciated, thankyou everyone,,,,
Queenfan59
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Bench shooter 22lr

Post by Queenfan59 » 03 May 2019, 11:09 am

Queenfan59 wrote:Hello everyone, i am new to this forum, need some advice, i would like to purchase a 22lr, looking at the lithgow la101, cz 457 , anschutz 64 mpr, the rifle will be primarily used for bench target shooting, i am not in a rifle club, nor do i shoot bullseye matches, just want something accurate, i have fired the cz 452 and 455, both shot accurately at 25 metres, maybe in the future i might take it hunting but 99 percent of the time it will be a bench rest gun, sorry if i dragged this on a bit, hope it makes sense, any advice would be most appreciated, thankyou everyone,,,,
Queenfan59
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by knowsnothin » 03 May 2019, 3:31 pm

The problem is that none of the rifles you have mentioned are a dedicated bench rest rifle.
What are you ‘target shooting ‘ if you are not in a club?
My suggestion would be to get along to a club and see what people are shooting.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2019, 4:02 pm

Queenfan59 wrote:Hello everyone, i am new to this forum, need some advice, i would like to purchase a 22lr, looking at the lithgow la101, cz 457 , anschutz 64 mpr, the rifle will be primarily used for bench target shooting, i am not in a rifle club, nor do i shoot bullseye matches, just want something accurate, i have fired the cz 452 and 455, both shot accurately at 25 metres, maybe in the future i might take it hunting but 99 percent of the time it will be a bench rest gun, sorry if i dragged this on a bit, hope it makes sense, any advice would be most appreciated, thank you everyone,,,,

Are you already an experienced shooter?
Do you have somewhere to shoot? Keeping in mind that NSW technically does not allow you to "target shoot" anywhere except approved ranges.
I don't shoot at any ranges either, but I do occasionally still enjoy trying to make small clusters on far away sheets of paper or steel.
I really don't get benchrest though, and having attended a local rimfire match a couple months back, it seems even more boring than I thought it was :-)

My neighbour has been attending these matches with his Lithgow LA101, but the club members are shooting totally impractical contraptions that would never be taken field shooting, they require perfectly leveled concrete benches.

Despite it onlny being a 20m range, I do want to get along and try it for myself though, maybe it has something I'm not seeing from the outside. I'm driven to shoot as well as I practically can with a given rifle and ammo, but I'm not at all driven to try to put all my bullets through one .223" hole.

When I'm shooting off the bench I generally just use the bipod, or sometimes a front bag, and sometimes I'll use a rear bag, particularly if I'm testing a rifle, a scope, or ammunition.

I use my Rugers, which for me are consistently 1MoA-capable to 100m, and certainly good enough to keep up my skills.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 May 2019, 7:20 pm

Any of those rifles could be used and work quite well, you can bolt a three inch fore end adapter to the stock so that it sits in a front rest. If your budget can stand it there are some dedicated offerings like the Anschutz super match and rifles from Fienwerkbau and Walther.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 04 May 2019, 8:54 am

bladeracer wrote:
Queenfan59 wrote:Hello everyone, i am new to this forum, need some advice, i would like to purchase a 22lr, looking at the lithgow la101, cz 457 , anschutz 64 mpr, the rifle will be primarily used for bench target shooting, i am not in a rifle club, nor do i shoot bullseye matches, just want something accurate, i have fired the cz 452 and 455, both shot accurately at 25 metres, maybe in the future i might take it hunting but 99 percent of the time it will be a bench rest gun, sorry if i dragged this on a bit, hope it makes sense, any advice would be most appreciated, thank you everyone,,,,

Are you already an experienced shooter?
Do you have somewhere to shoot? Keeping in mind that NSW technically does not allow you to "target shoot" anywhere except approved ranges.
I don't shoot at any ranges either, but I do occasionally still enjoy trying to make small clusters on far away sheets of paper or steel.
I really don't get benchrest though, and having attended a local rimfire match a couple months back, it seems even more boring than I thought it was :-)

My neighbour has been attending these matches with his Lithgow LA101, but the club members are shooting totally impractical contraptions that would never be taken field shooting, they require perfectly leveled concrete benches.

Despite it onlny being a 20m range, I do want to get along and try it for myself though, maybe it has something I'm not seeing from the outside. I'm driven to shoot as well as I practically can with a given rifle and ammo, but I'm not at all driven to try to put all my bullets through one .223" hole.

When I'm shooting off the bench I generally just use the bipod, or sometimes a front bag, and sometimes I'll use a rear bag, particularly if I'm testing a rifle, a scope, or ammunition.

I use my Rugers, which for me are consistently 1MoA-capable to 100m, and certainly good enough to keep up my skills.

^this.
If your not a member of a club - you do realise you cannot bench rest shoot?
Conspiracy no 6537 - someone testing the forum members ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 04 May 2019, 10:25 am

Easy, 54 annie - buy once, cry once. Buy a bench rest fun for bench rest shooting.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 04 May 2019, 11:59 am

TassieTiger wrote:If your not a member of a club - you do realise you cannot bench rest shoot?
Conspiracy no 6537 - someone testing the forum members ?

:lol:

Ah shootè...im up to no 6535...
What two have i missed...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 04 May 2019, 7:19 pm

Doesn't the legislation state that you can shoot your rifle for the purpose of sighting it in? I know I need to shoot hundreds of rounds at a time for the purpose of sighting my rifle in.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles