Old Krico Vs new JW15 as first rifle?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Old Krico Vs new JW15 as first rifle?

Post by Nomis » 09 May 2019, 7:41 pm

G'day all.

After months of stuffing around I'm finally getting my licence. Sitting my safety course in two weeks and onward from there.

I've decided to go with a 22lr for my first rifle and wanted to keep things cheap and cheerful for now to having to spend a bit on a safe etc. I'm sure I'll love shooting as it's something I've always wanted to do but I'm hesitant to overinvest early on.

My LGS has a 1960s Krico for sale for $350. Walnut stock, good condition, 10 round magazine.
They'll also do the Norinco JW15 in a package with a Nikko Stirling scope for $335.

The guy there is recommending the Krico and I certainly like the more historical aspect of it (I'm a history teacher and want to collect rifles of historical value) but I'm also aware I won't be able to get parts etc for it.

Gun will be used at a range for some plinking/target shooting. Might get into competitions one day but baby steps. Probs not hunting.

Throw me your thoughts!
Nomis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Old Krico Vs new JW15 as first rifle?

Post by bigrich » 10 May 2019, 9:19 am

Having owned a few, I am biased to the old Krico. Jw15’s can shoot well, but I reckon the finish on the old german gun would be better. My most accurate 22 I have after buying and selling a few is a Cz 452 2e american. SK match ammo isn’t expensive and consistently groups well in all the 22’s I’ve had. Hope this helps. Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 May 2019, 9:41 am

I agree with bigrich go the krico
the jw15 can be made into a good rifle with some tweaking but the krico already is
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gun nut. » 10 May 2019, 4:19 pm

bigrich wrote:Having owned a few, I am biased to the old Krico. Jw15’s can shoot well, but I reckon the finish on the old german gun would be better. My most accurate 22 I have after buying and selling a few is a Cz 452 2e american. SK match ammo isn’t expensive and consistently groups well in all the 22’s I’ve had. Hope this helps. Cheers

SK match ammo isn't expensive. Your kidding aren't ya? I just paid $120 a brick and that's with 10% off.
But I agree that it is very good ammo and groups well in my CZ452 and Brno no. 2.
CZ 527 .223 varmit
Tikka T3 .308
K98 .308
Norinco JW-25A .22
Brno no.2 .22

Coonan .357 semi-auto
Ruger GP100 .357
S&W 617-1 .22
S&W 686-3 8 3/8
Colt rail gun 1911 .22
Gun nut.
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 10 May 2019, 9:19 pm

Nomis,
being your first rifle i would go for the new JW-15.
It will give you an introduction stop the 22LR and these rifles, straight off the bat will shoot well. I recommend try a few different loads to see what works well.

The Krico is a nice rifle too - but its older and you could be lucky and get no issues with it - or it could be problematic ?

Get the JW -----and when the bug bites - upgrade to a CZ, Tikka T1x or even an Anschutz or Weihrauch!!

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 May 2019, 9:32 pm

Gun nut. wrote:
bigrich wrote:Having owned a few, I am biased to the old Krico. Jw15’s can shoot well, but I reckon the finish on the old german gun would be better. My most accurate 22 I have after buying and selling a few is a Cz 452 2e american. SK match ammo isn’t expensive and consistently groups well in all the 22’s I’ve had. Hope this helps. Cheers

SK match ammo isn't expensive. Your kidding aren't ya? I just paid $120 a brick and that's with 10% off.
But I agree that it is very good ammo and groups well in my CZ452 and Brno no. 2.

compared to rws and eley match the SK is cheap and it does shoot well in all 22 lr i've owned ;)

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 10 May 2019, 11:05 pm

Would your budget stretch to a 60s Anschutz? They are a beautiful rifle and have plenty of historical context which may be of interest to you. The 1413 Super Match would be an awesome first rifle.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 11 May 2019, 8:19 am

I just recently tweaked a used JW-15 for a relative - basically free-floated the barrel channel by sanding out . That will help in the accuracy stakes somewhat. As a newcomer to shooting he was only using some CCI loads and getting his head around what scope adjustments do and everything newbies seem to get confused with.
I gave him around 10 different loads - both target and hunting - for him to try out and see what the rifle likes. He done some initial testing and reported that the Winchester power points shot quite good.
I told him shoot all 10 brands and find 2-3 that shoot the best - and stick with them.
They are a nice gun the JW and had a 15 and 27 many years ago - purchased new for around $130!!!

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gun nut. » 11 May 2019, 8:42 am

I recently bought a JW-25A . Shoots well with PowerPoints too. (Btm rifle in pic)

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image[/url
Last edited by Gun nut. on 11 May 2019, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CZ 527 .223 varmit
Tikka T3 .308
K98 .308
Norinco JW-25A .22
Brno no.2 .22

Coonan .357 semi-auto
Ruger GP100 .357
S&W 617-1 .22
S&W 686-3 8 3/8
Colt rail gun 1911 .22
Gun nut.
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by marksman » 11 May 2019, 8:50 am

I agree with you solarpak that the jw15 can be made into a very good rifle but as a new shooter I'm not sure how much of a handyman nomis is going to be with as you mention cleaning up the barrel channel because of warping and also bedding, polishing metal parts eg... bolt and races because they are are pretty rough, fixing mag feed lips, crown ect,,,, I have worked a few for people and in all honesty they were real shooters at a very reasonable price
but I do believe the krico would be a better option for a first rifle :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Growler » 11 May 2019, 9:06 am

I’ve got a JW and a mate a Krico. As far as we can tell it’s only our skill level that makes a difference to how they shoot.
Note: Nev if you read this, I am heaps better than you :)
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 11 May 2019, 10:09 am

SCJ429 wrote:Would your budget stretch to a 60s Anschutz? They are a beautiful rifle and have plenty of historical context which may be of interest to you. The 1413 Super Match would be an awesome first rifle.

I agree totally. I have an Anschutz and it is a beautiful thing. Having said that though, I would actually recommend spending a little bit more on a brand new Ruger American, or one of the Savages. Both shoot well and you get a new rifle with a warranty.

If your heart is set on either the Norinco or Krico, go with the better quality of the Krico.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Nomis » 11 May 2019, 2:07 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I went in and had a good look at both rifles yesterday. Held them and worked the bolts etc.

I've decided to go with the Krico. When I actually held it just felt right somehow. I love the look of it and after a lot of reading over the last two days I got a little bit scared off the Norinco by everyone's armature gunsmithing talk. The idea of floating a barrel is a bit out of my league considering I've not even fired a shot yet! Also, the action on the Krico was just so damn smooth.

The Krico will also give me some basic experience with refinishing a stock and rebluing when I get around to it as it is a little beaten up but nothing serious.

I do think that if I was after a farm gun I would have gone with the Norinco due to it being a heap lighter and having the composite stock, but for shooting at a range the weight isn't a huge factor for me.

If I could have I would have got a CZ455 and never looked back but this way I can have my 22 and start my milsurp collection with the Swedish Mauser I got in the same trip.

Safety course coming up in the next few weeks so not actually going to be doing anything with it for a while but I'll post more when I take it out.

Thanks again and keep an eye out for more noob posts from me in the future as I figure everything out!
Nomis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 11 May 2019, 7:55 pm

Nomis,

if the Krico felt right - then its the right choice!!

Enjoy the rifle............

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by FNQ » 11 May 2019, 10:24 pm

I’ve got a JW15 and I cannot fault it.
Sees more action then any other gun in the safe
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mattraff » 25 May 2019, 11:29 am

The JW15 is a copy of the CZ452 and a decent knock about rifle. Like most things from China though quality is a bit hit and miss with most just not finished to the same standard of more expensive rifles although l have seen o couple of well finished and relatively smooth JW's.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles