Norinco puma JW15 22LR anyone

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Norinco puma JW15 22LR anyone

Post by mickb » 26 May 2019, 1:26 am

Anyone tried one of these? A friend is looking for a beginner gun and doesn't want to spend a lot, whilst some chance of decent plinking. I saw some of the norinco lever actions which were suprisingly nice 9422-ish copies..except... the sights were misaligned and needed work.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Norinco puma JW15 22LR anyone

Post by Blr243 » 26 May 2019, 7:31 am

The old wooden jw15 I had years ago was super accurate. Not sure about the new ones
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Goose#24 » 26 May 2019, 7:45 am

I have one, and for the money they are okay. They arent super accurate out of the box but alright for some hunting. I believe with some mods they can be quite an accurate firearm, but they look and feel cheap. Clunky bolt, poor finishes on everything, trigger feels cheap etc etc.
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Bent Arrow » 26 May 2019, 8:24 am

Hi Mick

Put JW15 into the internal search engine, there are several threads on JW15's with plenty of answers.

I had one many years ago and it was totally fine for the money, reliable and shot accurately enough for hunting small game
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2019, 9:33 am

mickb wrote:Anyone tried one of these? A friend is looking for a beginner gun and doesn't want to spend a lot, whilst some chance of decent plinking. I saw some of the norinco lever actions which were suprisingly nice 9422-ish copies..except... the sights were misaligned and needed work.

I haven't heard too many bad stories about the JW21, they seem to be quite good. I have a Norinco JW21 lever that I'm very impressed with, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy Norinco again.

Some of the older rifles offer terrific performance and value, although many won't have provision for mounting a scope. My 1950 BSA Sportsman 5 is excellent in all aspects.
Check out some Brno Model 2's, or Early Lithgows, or the Remington 513T, 521 or 541.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 May 2019, 9:47 am

G'day Mickb mate my daughter has one and I reckon all its good for is shooting rats with rat shot personally I wouldn't buy one but she may have got a lemon who knows
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2019, 10:00 am

G'day Mickb mate my daughter has one and I reckon all its good for is shooting rats with rat shot personally I wouldn't buy one but she may have got a lemon who knows

Why is that? Can't find anything it shoots well with?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 May 2019, 10:32 am

That as well bladeracer but when she first got it I run a patch down the barrel to remove the grease and the rough rifling tore the patch off the rod it was like running a patch through a rolled up sheet of sandpaper however they cut the rifling it left a jiggered finish we tried lapping the bore but can't get a patch full way through before it tears to pieces had to use highest rings on scope due to bolt lift I know it's a cheap gun but I would have expected a little better than this one still haven't smoothed the bore as yet I've spent hours with it and gained bugger all best group at 25yds is 3-6 inches my son bought a little pink 22 for his daughter and its better than the norinco but it only has a peep sight and no place to put a scope me and the g'daughter plink away at pepsi tins and have a ball and as for the norinco she's on death row at the moment
Member-Deleted

Post by pomemax » 26 May 2019, 8:22 pm

might have to firelap it
here,s a link if your not familiar http://www.lasc.us/bellmFirelappingBarrels.htm
I have only ever done this once worked a treat tho would i do it on an expensive gun nope on a Norinco that wont shoot i may try it
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 May 2019, 9:31 pm

Thanks pomemax interesting read
Member-Deleted

Post by Jon79 » 27 May 2019, 3:17 am

Don’t bother, they are total crap.... I bought the daughter one and it sprayed rounds everywhere thought it must have had loose scope mounts or something but nope even tried a different scope and just about every brand of ammo on the market and it’s best groups (if you could call them that) you be lucky to hit a dinner plate 4/5 shots from 50 yards

Got rid of it for the total of $50 at the same shop I had just bought it for $250 and bought her a Wembley & Scott which shoots like a laser
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 27 May 2019, 7:29 am

Still have one. Sprayed federal high velocity everywhere. Tried RS subsonic, rounds touching at 50 m.
CCI mini mags. 1/2 inch at 50m.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by FNQ » 27 May 2019, 8:38 pm

I’ve got one and it must be 20 years old.
For the money it’s excellent.
Gets used more then any of my other guns.
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 28 May 2019, 12:06 am

I also have one from the 60’s - passed down rabbit rifle that I’ll never sell. It shoots as well as my cz455 but never jams...barrel is 4 inches longer than cz as well.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 28 May 2019, 1:21 am

That as well bladeracer but when she first got it I run a patch down the barrel to remove the grease and the rough rifling tore the patch off the rod it was like running a patch through a rolled up sheet of sandpaper however they cut the rifling it left a jiggered finish we tried lapping the bore but can't get a patch full way through before it tears to pieces had to use highest rings on scope due to bolt lift I know it's a cheap gun but I would have expected a little better than this one still haven't smoothed the bore as yet I've spent hours with it and gained bugger all best group at 25yds is 3-6 inches my son bought a little pink 22 for his daughter and its better than the norinco but it only has a peep sight and no place to put a scope me and the g'daughter plink away at pepsi tins and have a ball and as for the norinco she's on death row at the moment

Thats a defective bore mate, if its that bad why didn't you return it?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 May 2019, 8:56 am

I think she is in the process of doing that now mickb cheers .And then as for the old norinco rifles they are a stronger and better build of rifle compared to the ones now
Member-Deleted

Post by mickb » 28 May 2019, 11:02 pm

:thumbsup: hope they do the right thing by her.

Thanks for the replies all. I passed the info on.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles