New J.Dewey Cleaning Rod.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

New J.Dewey Cleaning Rod.

Post by xDom » 05 Jun 2019, 7:01 pm

Just replaced my screw together cleaning rod with a top notch One piece J Dewy .22 Nylon cleaning rod.

What was interesting is that it I patched it through my .22 Mag and .223 and it went through a breeze.

When I put it through my .22LR CZ it was a slightly tighter fit, turning the swivel handle with the rifling, even without a patch on it.
I thought 22LR and 22 mag would be an exact diameter? Understand if the Magnum and the LR were the same and the .223 was a looser fit?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: New J.Dewey Cleaning Rod.

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2019, 7:16 pm

xDom wrote:Just replaced my screw together cleaning rod with a top notch One piece J Dewy .22 Nylon cleaning rod.

What was interesting is that it I patched it through my .22 Mag and .223 and it went through a breeze.

When I put it through my .22LR CZ it was a slightly tighter fit, turning the swivel handle with the rifling, even without a patch on it.
I thought 22LR and 22 mag would be an exact diameter? Understand if the Magnum and the LR were the same and the .223 was a looser fit?

WMR is .224", like all the centre fire. 22's. .22LR is .223", or even sometimes .222".
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 05 Jun 2019, 7:22 pm

Yep, I used to think the same, but it is not so!!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Jun 2019, 7:27 pm

CZ rimfires that I have owned, 452 and 455, are pretty much notorious for scratching the coating. The ejector blade makes contact with the 22 cal rods and rips off the "nylon"/plastic. Some owners have gotten round this by using 17 cal rods but my old Parker Hale jobby, with all the coating removed, is just about 0.177" and it still fouls the ejector. This is obvious by the way my rod rubs against the leade. You can see that it just is not centred in the chamber. I went to an awful lot of TROUBLE getting round it. Others file the blade successfully, others file too much...................... :( :x :shock: :oops: :cry: I sympathize mate. It's a BITCH,
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by xDom » 05 Jun 2019, 8:20 pm

So, a .223 is actually a .224, like a WMR, even though the WMR is actually called a 22 WMR, just like a LR is called a 22LR but thats really a .223... but sometimes it’s a .222. Righto

:shock:
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2019, 8:40 pm

xDom wrote:So, a .223 is actually a .224, like a WMR, even though the WMR is actually called a 22 WMR, just like a LR is called a 22LR but thats really a .223... but sometimes it’s a .222. Righto

:shock:

Think of it as cartridges have names that roll off the tongue, bullets have specific diameters.

Wait until you get into .38 Special and .44 Magnum :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 05 Jun 2019, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 Jun 2019, 9:13 pm

Yea mate...it'd be nice for domeone to tell the new CZ owner to use a 17 rod...
I screwed 2 rods by mistake cleaning mine..

Try put the cleaning rod down the muzzle...that'll show you how tight a fit it is...!!

I think they do this because 22LR's just shoot lead...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by xDom » 05 Jun 2019, 9:25 pm

Could it be possible that the barrel of the CZ has been damaged in any way by squeezing the nylon coated rod down?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2019, 10:58 pm

xDom wrote:Could it be possible that the barrel of the CZ has been damaged in any way by squeezing the nylon coated rod down?

Seems unlikely, but the only way to know is to shoot it.
Last edited by bladeracer on 11 Jun 2019, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Nigel » 11 Jun 2019, 12:10 am

It's the bore diameter that matters, not the grove diameter. SAMMI standard 22 LR bore diameter in 0.217in; 22 WM and 223 Rem are 0.219.

Dewey recommend using a 17 or 20 caliber rod for 22 rimfire barrels. https://deweyrods.com/faqs/

If it's one of their coated rods, I doubt you would have done any damage to the barrel. You may have put some scratches on the rod but that's about it. I made the same mistake myself.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 17 Jun 2019, 7:17 am

Never could understand how some people manage to have the extractor chew up a cleaning rod/coating.
Wouldn't it be sensible to use an action/bore guide?
And yes, that's why some enlightened equipment makers produce .20cal rods.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 17 Jun 2019, 8:38 am

In many of these cases the ejector sits too high to allow a bore guide to be placed in the action.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Jun 2019, 9:40 am

Stix wrote:In many of these cases the ejector sits too high to allow a bore guide to be placed in the action.

That is it, Exactly.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 17 Jun 2019, 8:57 pm

Umm...bore/action guide? Bought one before my approval arrived. Without it the ejector chews rods. With it there is no issue. My research told me this before I bought my rifle (CZ). It's pretty simple really and it stops solvent etc escaping down into the woodwork and action. Win-win.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Jun 2019, 9:40 am

Diamond Jim wrote:Umm...bore/action guide? Bought one before my approval arrived. Without it the ejector chews rods. With it there is no issue. My research told me this before I bought my rifle (CZ). It's pretty simple really and it stops solvent etc escaping down into the woodwork and action. Win-win.

Diamond Jim's findings are the direct opposite of mine which can only confuse the newcomer to CZs. Maybe everyone else too :lol: :crazy: The explanation could be that my rifle has quirks that Jim's does not but that still does not help the new CZ owner who will not know if he is wasting money on a bore guide or not. This choice is not made easier (it wasn't for me at any rate) by the seemingly contradictory posts on the subject on rimfirecentral.com.
It looks like you pays your money and you takes your chances, doesn't it? :huh: :problem: I went the really :crazy: route and made my own detachable ejector but it is not for the faint hearted/novice, who does not have the resources left over from past projects like I have.
It's a bit of a bitch really.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Stix » 18 Jun 2019, 10:09 am

Diamond Jim wrote:Umm...bore/action guide? Bought one before my approval arrived. Without it the ejector chews rods. With it there is no issue. My research told me this before I bought my rifle (CZ). It's pretty simple really and it stops solvent etc escaping down into the woodwork and action. Win-win.

Im assuming you've only bought one CZ mate.
So just because thats your experience, doesnt make it that simple for everyone else.

I too had a bore guide before i had the rifle due to owning a Brno, but that helped me none.

Believe me, its not your research that prevented the ejector chewing out your rod &/or allowed you avoid the hassle we have.
Rather, its that you didnt get a CZ with sharpened 6' star dropper in place of a normal sized ejector.

Ill say it again, the ejector in mine was too big to allow a bore guide to be inserted, & also far to big to allow a a rod to go down the bore without deforming & damaging it.

So my advice to anyone buying one in a gun shop, is remove the bolt & sight down the bore...if you see the ejector shadowed in against the light from down the bore, ask the shop to pass one of their rods down it & test a guide for fit.

Either that, or as Wm says--you take your chances on damaging rods & getting the ejector filed down smaller.
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 19 Jun 2019, 12:18 am

Stix wrote:

Im assuming you've only bought one CZ mate.
So just because thats your experience, doesnt make it that simple for everyone else.

I too had a bore guide before i had the rifle due to owning a Brno, but that helped me none.

Believe me, its not your research that prevented the ejector chewing out your rod &/or allowed you avoid the hassle we have.
Rather, its that you didnt get a CZ with sharpened 6' star dropper in place of a normal sized ejector.

Ill say it again, the ejector in mine was too big to allow a bore guide to be inserted, & also far to big to allow a a rod to go down the bore without deforming & damaging it.

So my advice to anyone buying one in a gun shop, is remove the bolt & sight down the bore...if you see the ejector shadowed in against the light from down the bore, ask the shop to pass one of their rods down it & test a guide for fit.

Either that, or as Wm says--you take your chances on damaging rods & getting the ejector filed down smaller.
:drinks:

Well "mate" my rifle is a CZ452 Varmint in 22LR built 2013 from memory. My guide is by "Possum Hollow" and it fits like it was made for the job (as do the guides for my two CZ centrefire rifles made by the same manufacturer). It works equally well in my nephew's 452 and my brother's 455 and has channels/cutouts so it is difficult to imagine how the "ejector" could possibly interfere with the guide unless it was almost literally "a 6' star dropper"

I guess you are indeed unlucky but as I said, without the guide in place the rifle chews up rods. With the guide fitted it doesn't. This is the case with all three rifles I've tested.

If yours is as bad as you say then a visit to a good gunsmith should be able to sort you either under warranty or otherwise.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Jun 2019, 8:37 am

I wonder if the food actually pushes down in the ejector.

Don't worry mine sticks out like a 6' star picket..... with one leg missing.

I just read someone mention to get a .17 rod.... that works fine
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles