Shortening a 22 barrel

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Shortening a 22 barrel

Post by Shootermick » 25 Jun 2019, 9:34 am

I’ve got a Savage B 22 FVSS, it’s the 21 inch stainless varmint model. Put maybe 100 rounds through it and it shoots really well. My only issue is the barrel length, I do a lot of shooting out of the ute window and the 21 inch barrel is just a bit awkward. I’m thinking about taking it to a smith to have 5 or so inches knocked off it. Anyone had a barrel shortened? What is involved and how much risk is there that it’ll lose its accuracy or create any other issues? Cheers.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Shortening a 22 barrel

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2019, 9:38 am

Shootermick wrote:I’ve got a Savage B 22 FVSS, it’s the 21 inch stainless varmint model. Put maybe 100 rounds through it and it shoots really well. My only issue is the barrel length, I do a lot of shooting out of the ute window and the 21 inch barrel is just a bit awkward. I’m thinking about taking it to a smith to have 5 or so inches knocked off it. Anyone had a barrel shortened? What is involved and how much risk is there that it’ll lose its accuracy or create any other issues? Cheers.

I bought a second barrel to cut to 16" for my JW21 to make it an even better break-down pack rifle.
The law allows us to own a 16" barrel rifle, but it doesn't allow us to shorten a barrel to less than 20".
I plan to write to the commissioner and ask for an exemption to allow me to shorten a rifle I already own rather than have to buy another one for the purpose.

If you're using a scope the barrel length won't matter, anything over 16-18" is wasted in .22LR.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 25 Jun 2019, 10:34 am

Sounds like a bit of a contradiction in the law there. I was thinking of selling it to buy a shorter barrelled 22, a Savage FVSR or a Tikka 1X, both are around the 16” length give or take a bit. But I thought I’d lose too much $ on this practically brand new rifle, and also can’t get those others in stainless, so that’s why I thought I’d like to get this one chopped. But may not?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2019, 10:45 am

Shootermick wrote:Sounds like a bit of a contradiction in the law there. I was thinking of selling it to buy a shorter barrelled 22, a Savage FVSR or a Tikka 1X, both are around the 16” length give or take a bit. But I thought I’d lose too much $ on this practically brand new rifle, and also can’t get those others in stainless, so that’s why I thought I’d like to get this one chopped. But may not?

Talk to your gunsmith maybe, he should know if it can be done. And let us know how you get on.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2019, 11:06 am

Shootermick wrote:Sounds like a bit of a contradiction in the law there.

Yep, pretty standard :-)
I want some more BX15 mags that come with the Ruger Precision Rimfire rifle. Only way to get one in Australia is by buying the rifle. It is illegal to import the mags, or sell them separately because they can be used in the Ruger Charger, making it a fifteen-round pistol, which is illegal. I asked about a warranty claim. That's the only exception but you have to send your existing BX15 back so Border Force can destroy it.

Talk about world class gun laws, forcing us to buy more guns rather than allow us to buy the magazines :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Jun 2019, 11:46 am

Hacksaw
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 25 Jun 2019, 2:28 pm

Hacksaw sounds a bit severe. But I’ve got a quote of about $150 to chop and re crown the barrel, which sounds good to me. Only thing is, there’s no warranty or guarantee on the accuracy after the job, which is a worry.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Jun 2019, 2:39 pm

Why ? I've chopped at least 4 rifles off with a hacksaw and dad's done 2,and they all shoot fine
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 25 Jun 2019, 2:44 pm

So they didn’t need a crown machined back into the end? Why have you chopped so many?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2019, 3:00 pm

Shootermick wrote:Hacksaw sounds a bit severe. But I’ve got a quote of about $150 to chop and re crown the barrel, which sounds good to me. Only thing is, there’s no warranty or guarantee on the accuracy after the job, which is a worry.

Hacksaw, just file the muzzle square, deburr and chamfer. If it doesn't shoot well then you can consider cutting the crown.
How is it grouping now at 50m and 100m? If it's excellent then I wouldn't touch it myself. If it's average then I don't see there's anything to lose.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Jun 2019, 3:19 pm

Shootermick wrote:So they didn’t need a crown machined back into the end? Why have you chopped so many?

I got one recrowned coz I was sure it needed it. Even the gunsmith who did it said why bother.

Coz we wanted shorter rifles
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 25 Jun 2019, 3:24 pm

I remember as a whipper snapper my shooting coach described the act of shortening a rifle as "moving" through the accuracy nodes. We had a shortened BRNO mod2 in the armory that had been incrementally cut down until both an accuracy node was discovered and roughly the desired length was met (using a specific ammo type). These two variables should be what you should be mutually aiming for.

If you're serious about doing this OP, you should probable cut down in 1/2" increments, testing your groups in between. Stop when you get close to satisfying both accuracy and length requirements.
Last edited by in2anity on 25 Jun 2019, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 25 Jun 2019, 6:09 pm

Also ask on www.rimfirecentral.com , worlds largest rimfire forums. They would have blokes there doing this.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Shootermick » 25 Jun 2019, 7:41 pm

It does shoot really good so I’m in two minds about messing with it, but I’d just like it shorter and handier for out the ute window. Other option is to trade my nearly new gun on the shorter barrel savage model. I’d do some coin on it but I’d be guaranteed a good rifle.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2019, 10:00 pm

There are some vids on you tube about cutting barrels and then testing accuracy - from memory grouping stayed consistent but poi moves slightly...
My 260 under went 7 cuts at 1/2 inch each time (recrowned) from 24inches back until chrono and high speed cam testing had max FPS from a specific handload and still meeting accuracy requirements.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Shootermick » 26 Jun 2019, 7:44 am

I’ve seen a few you tube videos, and they don’t make it look too bad, still don’t reckon I’d attempt it myself tho.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 26 Jun 2019, 8:28 am

It's incredibly easy hey lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 26 Jun 2019, 3:33 pm

Shootermick wrote:I’ve got a Savage B 22 FVSS, it’s the 21 inch stainless varmint model. Put maybe 100 rounds through it and it shoots really well. My only issue is the barrel length, I do a lot of shooting out of the ute window and the 21 inch barrel is just a bit awkward. I’m thinking about taking it to a smith to have 5 or so inches knocked off it. Anyone had a barrel shortened? What is involved and how much risk is there that it’ll lose its accuracy or create any other issues? Cheers.

hey mick, i've been researching this topic recently as i have a heavy barreled 22 hornet i was thinking of shortening . unlike that barbarian ," bigpete ", i was going to be more civilised than to use a bloody hacksaw :o i'll go hi tech and use the hitachi drop saw at work :lol: nah, seriously i bin looking on UK websites as they regulary shorten barrels to fit "sound moderators" (silencer ) . the general consensus is projectiles start to slow due to fritchon after the optimum barrel length . optimum lengths are thought to be -

22lr - 16"
22mag - 18'
22 hornet - 18-20" these are the opinions of others, these are the generalised findings of fellas who have done it. one fella had a CZ hornet shortened from 22" to 18" and it dropped point of impact with the same handload by 1/2" @100

on proper studies done , there are accuracy nodes . i found a yank that lopped a barrel on a 223 ar type rifle, range tested with a crono , with no real loss of accuracy, just speed and energy. another study conducted showed the optimum barrel length for a 357 mag rifle is 16" . i'd post links if i knew how :roll: all the info's out there

good luck :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 26 Jun 2019, 5:10 pm

Hello,a barbarian would use an axe....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 26 Jun 2019, 5:25 pm

bigpete wrote:Hello,a barbarian would use an axe....

yeah i can just picture you like "conan the barbarian" lopping the barrel with a battle-axe and stoning the end with a foot operated grinding wheel pete :lol:

dunno if you seen the original movie with arnold scharzenagger ," krom is my god, and i must answer the riddle of steel ......." :lol: :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 26 Jun 2019, 5:49 pm

Oh yes,I have once or twice,and read the book,and happen one or 2 proper "battke" axes...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 26 Jun 2019, 6:10 pm

bigpete wrote:Oh yes,I have once or twice,and read the book,and happen one or 2 proper "battke" axes...

god i love this forum, there's people on here crazier than me :lol: :lol: :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 26 Jun 2019, 7:16 pm

bigrich wrote:

hey mick, i've been researching this topic recently as i have a heavy barreled 22 hornet i was thinking of shortening . unlike that barbarian ," bigpete ", i was going to be more civilised than to use a bloody hacksaw :o i'll go hi tech and use the hitachi drop saw at work :lol: nah, seriously i bin looking on UK websites as they regulary shorten barrels to fit "sound moderators" (silencer ) . the general consensus is projectiles start to slow due to fritchon after the optimum barrel length . optimum lengths are thought to be -

22lr - 16"
22mag - 18'
22 hornet - 18-20" these are the opinions of others, these are the generalised findings of fellas who have done it. one fella had a CZ hornet shortened from 22" to 18" and it dropped point of impact with the same handload by 1/2" @100

on proper studies done , there are accuracy nodes . i found a yank that lopped a barrel on a 223 ar type rifle, range tested with a crono , with no real loss of accuracy, just speed and energy. another study conducted showed the optimum barrel length for a 357 mag rifle is 16" . i'd post links if i knew how :roll: all the info's out there

good luck :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Thanks bigrich. It all sounds like accuracy is not often an issue with the shortened barrel. I’ve decided to drop it back at the shop this Friday and the Smith is going to cut it back to 16-16 1/2 inches. bigpete, I’m sure many like you have done it yourself with good results too, but I don’t trust myself with this rifle, if it was an older one where I had nothing to lose I might give it a go.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jun 2019, 8:07 pm

Shootermick wrote:Thanks bigrich. It all sounds like accuracy is not often an issue with the shortened barrel. I’ve decided to drop it back at the shop this Friday and the Smith is going to cut it back to 16-16 1/2 inches. bigpete, I’m sure many like you have done it yourself with good results too, but I don’t trust myself with this rifle, if it was an older one where I had nothing to lose I might give it a go.

Has your gunsmith confirmed that this is legal to do then?
If he has I'll be doing my JW21 ASAP!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Jun 2019, 8:08 pm

bigpete wrote:It's incredibly easy hey lol

Just gotta make sure your holding the right end in the vice, you want the offcut to fall to the floor not the rifle. :thumbsup:

Personally I'd be happy to do it myself unless I was needing to cut a thread perfectly parallel for a sound moderator. I'd want a lathe for that... What could go wrong?
Worst case scenario, If you get poor results with the hacksaw and file job or made a mess you could always get the Smith to take off enough to square it off and crown it.

I've seen a article in a shooter magazine about tiding up a crown with a round die grinder stone by hand... perfect looking results.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jun 2019, 8:09 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I've seen a article in a shooter magazine about tiding up a crown with a round die grinder stone by hand... perfect looking results.

Brownells sell brass muzzle laps.
And you can buy thread centres that fit into the bore and keep the die perfectly square to the bore.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 26 Jun 2019, 8:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Shootermick wrote:Thanks bigrich. It all sounds like accuracy is not often an issue with the shortened barrel. I’ve decided to drop it back at the shop this Friday and the Smith is going to cut it back to 16-16 1/2 inches. bigpete, I’m sure many like you have done it yourself with good results too, but I don’t trust myself with this rifle, if it was an older one where I had nothing to lose I might give it a go.

Has your gunsmith confirmed that this is legal to do then?
If he has I'll be doing my JW21 ASAP!

i think how legal it is depends on which state you live in. i think in queensland it's just overall length of the firearm that's the issue. ;)
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jun 2019, 8:17 pm

don't take my word for it shootermick, do a google search on barrel shortening and look out for UK based forums as they shorten barrels all the time . i'd probably ere on the side of caution and go 18" :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Jun 2019, 8:20 pm

Edit : double post
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 26 Jun 2019, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jun 2019, 8:20 pm

bigrich wrote:i think how legal it is depends on which state you live in. i think in queensland it's just overall length of the firearm that's the issue. ;)

Yes, but Mick and I are dealing with Victoria law.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles