Shortening a 22 barrel

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Shortening a 22 barrel

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2019, 2:09 pm

straightshooter wrote:In NSW there is a minimum length for the barrel, a minimum length for the length of pull and a minimum overall length. The firearm must satisfy all three restrictions concurrently.
It is fairly well established (Dr. G. Kolbe) that for 22LR standard velocity an 18 inch barrel allows the development of maximum velocity so for 22LR HV probably something like 20 inches may be appropriate. I would aim for one of those lengths in preference to absolute minimum legal length.
Also reducing the length of pull may be beneficial as for Shootermick's application overall length is as important as barrel length.
As for 'accuracy nodes', it is my understanding they are under the control of the tooth fairy. The tooth fairy hasn't been kind to me as he/she has stolen quite a few of my teeth so I don't think he/she will be any kinder in supplying me with beneficial 'accuracy nodes'.
Shootermick should read his state laws and regulations and determine for himself the ideal configuration without relying on hearsay opinions.

I'd stay with 16-18" for .22LR.
http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
Attachments
velocity by the inch 22LR.JPG
velocity by the inch 22LR.JPG (132.55 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2019, 2:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:That's not correct.
We have minimum overall length of 750mm, but we also have a minimum barrel length of 500mm.

https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=6365
Last edited by bladeracer on 27 Jun 2019, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Jun 2019, 3:30 pm

good on ya for posting that chart blade .that's one i referred to in a earlier post . i found a similar one for 357 mag in a rifle and another graph that related barrel length to projectile caliber and speed .i dunno how to post links , i'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to this computer stuff . facinating this ballistics/firearms game :D

it also shows how the projectile speeds can vary up and down at certain barrel lengths which i also referred to in a earlier post as "accuracy nodes" , which is probably a incorrect term, but you guys get what i mean :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2019, 4:33 pm

bigrich wrote:good on ya for posting that chart blade .that's one i referred to in a earlier post . i found a similar one for 357 mag in a rifle and another graph that related barrel length to projectile caliber and speed .i dunno how to post links , i'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to this computer stuff

Trying to internet on a phone I wouldn't be able to post links, I can't even work out how to delete part of a quote without losing the whole thing :-) If I feel a need to respond to something on the phone I'll come back later on the computer and edit it. I'm sure most of the angst of the current generation stems from a continual state of frustration from trying to internet on a phone.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Jun 2019, 7:10 pm

Thanks to Blades chart, I'm feeling the need to get the hacksaw out now
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2019, 7:21 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Thanks to Blades chart, I'm feeling the need to get the hacksaw out now

I don't much mind what velocity the bullet is doing when it leaves the muzzle (two of my .22's have 25" barrels), but the less time the bullet spends connected to the rifle the better it's accuracy is likely to be.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 27 Jun 2019, 8:58 pm

I think bladeracer is on the money regarding the laws, unfortunately... It seems one can’t shorten a barrel to a desired length, if that length is under 20” within the law quite that easily, but you can buy a gun off the shelf with a factory fitted shorter barrel and be completely legal and above board. This has been a popular topic nonetheless, and other people obviously have thought about having the job done.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Jun 2019, 9:27 pm

This is the best that I can find for SA in the way of a guide for legal lengths.
Looks like it's a 400mm barrel length and 750mm overall length.
20190627_205151.jpg
20190627_205151.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 5193 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 28 Jun 2019, 4:42 am

Ahhh well. If factory short barrels are okay, maybe you fellas should consider a 16” barreled columbian 30-06 Mauser ? Fix those rabbits right up but the muzzle blast is lengendary :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by perentie » 28 Jun 2019, 7:54 am

bladeracer wrote:
Shootermick wrote:I’ve got a Savage B 22 FVSS, it’s the 21 inch stainless varmint model. Put maybe 100 rounds through it and it shoots really well. My only issue is the barrel length, I do a lot of shooting out of the ute window and the 21 inch barrel is just a bit awkward. I’m thinking about taking it to a smith to have 5 or so inches knocked off it. Anyone had a barrel shortened? What is involved and how much risk is there that it’ll lose its accuracy or create any other issues? Cheers.

I bought a second barrel to cut to 16" for my JW21 to make it an even better break-down pack rifle.
The law allows us to own a 16" barrel rifle, but it doesn't allow us to shorten a barrel to less than 20".
I plan to write to the commissioner and ask for an exemption to allow me to shorten a rifle I already own rather than have to buy another one for the purpose.

If you're using a scope the barrel length won't matter, anything over 16-18" is wasted in .22LR.

I just bought a rifle in .357 mag with a 12 inch barrel. Its legal as its over 750 mm overall.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2019, 8:06 am

perentie wrote:I just bought a rifle in .357 mag with a 12 inch barrel. Its legal as its over 750 mm overall.

But is it legal to cut a 20' barrel down to 12"?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 28 Jun 2019, 10:28 am

bigrich wrote:good on ya for posting that chart blade .that's one i referred to in a earlier post . i found a similar one for 357 mag in a rifle and another graph that related barrel length to projectile caliber and speed .i dunno how to post links , i'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to this computer stuff . facinating this ballistics/firearms game :D

it also shows how the projectile speeds can vary up and down at certain barrel lengths which i also referred to in a earlier post as "accuracy nodes" , which is probably a incorrect term, but you guys get what i mean :thumbsup:

BBTI's 22LR data is good. Be wary of their pistol cartridge data though. One test they only go to 18" because they only have an 18" encore to chop down. Another test they substitute different firearm types including using a 357 buntline( 18" barrel revolver ) which loses some velocity over a closed action with its cylinder gap. Have seen that one quoted so many times across the internet universe as proof an "18inch barrel loses velocity in a 357" and its plain wrong. 357 can still increase velocity past 20 barrels and with handloads of slower burning powders past 24".
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 28 Jun 2019, 10:11 pm

mickb wrote:
bigrich wrote:good on ya for posting that chart blade .that's one i referred to in a earlier post . i found a similar one for 357 mag in a rifle and another graph that related barrel length to projectile caliber and speed .i dunno how to post links , i'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to this computer stuff . facinating this ballistics/firearms game :D

BBTI's 22LR data is good. Be wary of their pistol cartridge data though. One test they only go to 18" because they only have an 18" encore to chop down. Another test they substitute different firearm types including using a 357 buntline( 18" barrel revolver ) which loses some velocity over a closed action with its cylinder gap. Have seen that one quoted so many times across the internet universe as proof an "18inch barrel loses velocity in a 357" and its plain wrong. 357 can still increase velocity past 20 barrels and with handloads of slower burning powders past 24".

i think that's another variable . change barrel length , maybe change to a powder with a burn rate suitable to the new length . i get really good accuracy out of a 24" barreled 22 hornet with lil' gun . but the bore can foul up a bit and the velocity is down on what a mate gets with the same load as a 22" barreled BRNO . thinking i might look for a slower burning powder . worth looking into i suppose .... :unknown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by perentie » 29 Jun 2019, 7:49 am

bladeracer wrote:
perentie wrote:I just bought a rifle in .357 mag with a 12 inch barrel. Its legal as its over 750 mm overall.

But is it legal to cut a 20' barrel down to 12"?

I dont see why not. Here in QLD there is nothing in the rego papers or on a PTA that gives barrel length on a Cat A or B. Who is to know how long it was.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles