Dry firing a rimfire

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Dry firing a rimfire

Post by ramshackle » 31 Jul 2019, 5:12 pm

Does dry firing a rimfire damage the chamber or firing pin? Many will tell you "yes". But the answer is often "no", especially with the newer rifles.

This seems to be a topic full of hearsay. I found this interesting, well researched article that answers some questions on it:
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles ... fire-guns/

More: https://youtu.be/v3FY5_QTob0
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Dry firing a rimfire

Post by in2anity » 31 Jul 2019, 5:23 pm

Just think about what is actually happening- the firing pin is smacking steel (instead of brass)- is that really the way you want to treat your gun? Just keep some brass and dry fire into an empty case...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jul 2019, 5:48 pm

in2anity wrote:Just think about what is actually happening- the firing pin is smacking steel (instead of brass)- is that really the way you want to treat your gun? Just keep some brass and dry fire into an empty case...

The blade of the striker is not smacking anything, it stops short of the chamber face. But the body of the striker is hitting somewhere in the bolt to protect the blade, and that can cause fatigue stress. Although Rugers are safe to dry-fire, I broke a striker in my 10/22. It's common on semi-auto rimfires that don't have a last-round bolt hold-open as you dry fire after the last round virtually every time you empty the magazine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jul 2019, 6:57 pm

in2anity wrote:Just think about what is actually happening- the firing pin is smacking steel (instead of brass)- is that really the way you want to treat your gun? Just keep some brass and dry fire into an empty case...

Thats what I do. I guess some will and some wont. How would you work that out?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Jul 2019, 6:58 pm

My cz 452 has a witness mark on the back of the barrel from the pin smacking it.

I wouldn't do it deliberately, but it dose happen now and then when I go for that 6'th shot with my 5 shot magazine.

IMG_20190731_182544.jpg
My cz pin witness mark
IMG_20190731_182544.jpg (68.1 KiB) Viewed 9028 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ramshackle » 31 Jul 2019, 8:44 pm

For CZs, you can dry fire of you put an O-ring in the chamber. O rings are much cheaper and last much longer than snap caps/ Which one?

#83 O-Rings — 1/2 in. OD x 5/16 in. ID x 3/32 in. wall thickness

aka size "2.4X8"
Metric CS=2.40 ID=8.00 OD=12.80

Although ... apparently CZ themselves say:

Answer from CZ:
Dry firing is perfectly fine in our rifles. If you look at the chamber, you'll notice that there is no cutout for the rim of the .22 cartridge. Instead, it's relieved into the boltface, making it so there is no way for the firing pin to damage itself on the barrel when dry firing.

And someone who owns one said (in 2013):

I took my new CZ 452 bolt out and cocked it, finding the firing pin is below the face and good to go for dry firing. To confirm this I placed a piece of thick construction paper on the breech and dry fired the rifle. This confirmed the firing pin does not ping the paper, thus doesn't ping the breech face.

Definitely check your firing pin on your 452 before dry firing.

and another guy said in 2016:

With my CZ 455, I conducted some quick tests with some thin masking tape and can confirm the barrel is not contacted during a dry fire. The rim is entirely seated within the bolt face when it's closed and locked, and the striker does not extend beyond that inset section when actuated.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jul 2019, 9:06 pm

Masking tape seems a simple test. Will check my brno when i get time
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 31 Jul 2019, 9:55 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:My cz 452 has a witness mark on the back of the barrel from the pin smacking it.

I wouldn't do it deliberately, but it dose happen now and then when I go for that 6'th shot with my 5 shot magazine.

IMG_20190731_182544.jpg

I have an old browning trombone that I inherited, its the same, the firing pin has marked the barrel from accidental dry firing over the years
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 01 Aug 2019, 4:12 am

Years back saw a rimfire that would not extract a fired case, dry firing had peened the chamber so expanded brass would stick.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 01 Aug 2019, 7:45 am

Definitely dry firing can be a problem with older guns. How old, I don't know. Best to check as described above....
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickb » 01 Aug 2019, 2:34 pm

I got marks to the 22LR chamber with a Chiappa double badger(22 over 410), it would have only been from a single instance, to be expected with a two trigger combo gun, occasionally you will pull the wrong one, or the kid will. On another tangent, back from its second trip to warranty. Firing pin is huge, hitting at a bad angle and softstriking. Hopefully fixed for good. I hate when a gun plays up continually because I can't even sell it, too honest.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Aug 2019, 3:35 pm

ramshackle wrote:Definitely dry firing can be a problem with older guns. How old, I don't know. Best to check as described above....

Not just the old ones ... I'd bet plenty on new ones smack the pin against the barrel.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 01 Aug 2019, 3:47 pm

My Savage mkii isn't an 'old' gun and the pin hits the chamber as I can see the strike marks. I don't dry fire it but it does happen in the field from time to time when you lose count of the ammo in the mag.

My Ruger American manual states it is safe to dry fire, I have dry fired it maybe a dozen times (when trigger weight testing) and there is no indication or marker to show that it is striking the chamber.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Aug 2019, 3:54 pm

YoungBuck wrote:My Savage mkii isn't an 'old' gun and the pin hits the chamber as I can see the strike marks. I don't dry fire it but it does happen in the field from time to time when you lose count of the ammo in the mag.

My Ruger American manual states it is safe to dry fire, I have dry fired it maybe a dozen times (when trigger weight testing) and there is no indication or marker to show that it is striking the chamber.

Rugers have been safe to dry-fire for many decades.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by peterclark » 07 Oct 2019, 7:59 pm

There are many benefits to dry firing. Learning is faster and can be safer with dry fire. It's easier to practice without developing a flinch. Dry fire allows shooters to practice in locations where they couldn't practice with live ammo. You can practice grip, drawing, sight alignment, trigger control, reloads, malfunctions, and more during dry fire practice. The technique allows people to conduct a safe, economical form of training to improve their shooting skills. http://bit.ly/2MLQQsL
peterclark

Post by Stix » 07 Oct 2019, 9:57 pm

Last edited by Stix on 08 Oct 2019, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2019, 1:59 am

Stix wrote:LMFAO...!!!

Y'all gotta check out this link (as above) from the cheese man...!!!... :lol:

peterclark wrote:There are many benefits to dry firing. Learning is faster and can be safer with dry fire. It's easier to practice without developing a flinch. Dry fire allows shooters to practice in locations where they couldn't practice with live ammo. You can practice grip, drawing, sight alignment, trigger control, reloads, malfunctions, and more during dry fire practice. The technique allows people to conduct a safe, economical form of training to improve their shooting skills. http://bit.ly/2MLQQsL

Now i know why im not a fan of magnum recoil...because i didnt learn my shooting by dry firing a gel blaster without ammo...!!!... :lol: :lol:

Gold...its just gold i tells ya...!!!

& all in a "Dry firing a rimfire" thread... :clap:

I think he found the cheese...& ate it... ...I rekon it was long outa date... :lol:

I would suggest not clicking any link posted bý that spammer profile.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Oct 2019, 7:27 am

I got the feeling you've mentiined this profile to mods here Blade...?

I thought some posts were deleted, but it csme back...

Why is it still about...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 08 Oct 2019, 10:03 am

I am pretty sure it is a real person the on topic is too close a match for a bot to do I would have thought. Although the copy and paste is still very bot like. There have been posts removed when they were not so close to on topic. I think the identity should be blocked as I am with Blade and think clicking on any link would be very dangerous to your computer or you are making everything on your computer available to the identity
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 08 Oct 2019, 10:50 am

Yea good point(s)...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Oct 2019, 8:15 am

sungazer wrote:I am pretty sure it is a real person the on topic is too close a match for a bot to do I would have thought. Although the copy and paste is still very bot like. There have been posts removed when they were not so close to on topic. I think the identity should be blocked as I am with Blade and think clicking on any link would be very dangerous to your computer or you are making everything on your computer available to the identity

Just don't click on the links until you have verified the URL, blocking this user doesn't make anything 'safer'.
If they are using a URL shortener like in the previous post, use something like the below site to expand on it to check the real URL behind it:
http://checkshorturl.com/expand.php
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 09 Oct 2019, 8:42 am

I mean the moderators, admin blocking the user. They will have several options IP blocking username blocking ect deleting the user is not always the best action as they can just re-register.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by YoungBuck » 10 Oct 2019, 8:09 am

I doubt they have many methods to block someone. IP blocking wont work as most ISPs use dynamic IP addresses for internet subscriptions. Also by simply using a VPN they can get back to the site via any number of different IPs.

If you are worried about malicious links, educate yourself about online safety and what you can do to not get caught out. Anyone can post a malicious link, not just this one user. Gone well off topic, I wont post anymore about this here.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by james13 » 30 Oct 2019, 6:48 pm

This is one of the Lithgow bolt and chambers from a club rifles that are about 2 years old. They might get dry fired 20-30 times a day.
Attachments
20191030_192734.jpg
Lithgow bolt
20191030_192734.jpg (769.63 KiB) Viewed 7193 times
20191030_192750.jpg
Lithgow bolt
20191030_192750.jpg (931.07 KiB) Viewed 7193 times
james13
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by allan » 01 Nov 2019, 2:22 pm

Best example I've ever seen to illustrate why repeated dry firing 22LR is not such a bright idea.
Thanks for posting.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by FNQ » 03 Nov 2019, 1:55 pm

Never intentionally dry fired a rimfire. Center fires all the time.

Was coming around to the idea of dry firing the rimfire but not after seeing the Lithgow photos.

Thanks james13
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 03 Nov 2019, 2:35 pm

FNQ wrote:Never intentionally dry fired a rimfire. Center fires all the time.

Was coming around to the idea of dry firing the rimfire but not after seeing the Lithgow photos.

Thanks james13

Even dry firing a cf isn’t the brightest idea. Be kind to your bolt and just use a snap cap!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles