Ruger Precision rimfire magazine issue

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger Precision rimfire magazine issue

Post by wildcard6 » 07 Aug 2019, 11:26 am

I've just acquired one of these nifty little rifles for long-range rimfire silhouette shooting, but right from the get-go, the magazine fails to feed the last round! I spoke to someone who had a Ruger target rimfire and said he had the same trouble. He gave me a snap-cap to put in first [which feeds just fine!], but I wondered whether anyone had any suggestions as to a proper solution?
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Ruger Precision rimfire magazine issue

Post by ramshackle » 07 Aug 2019, 11:43 am

It's probably discussed elsewhere on the 'net. What's the exact model number of the rifle?

I would Google FTF ruger "last round"

Add the model name or number for more precise hits
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 07 Aug 2019, 12:04 pm

When you say fails to feed , what do the last rounds do they stand up or just not move forward .
If it is just not feed the last round do the rounds hit at the front (ramping issue)
fail to move at all (bolt not reaching the round) remove all rounds see if bolt i hitting back of mag may be the mag catch is to high up lifting the presentation to high .
What i am saying it if your not sure what to look at and you just picked it up as you said take it back as for their opinion hope its not too far
Last edited by pomemax on 16 Aug 2019, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 07 Aug 2019, 1:15 pm

I have a a heap of ruger mags, one bx15 and one a bx25. Have had trouble with a bx1 before and have to tighten the spring but never with the 15 or 25. But I know all mine fail to feed if to dirty. I know its new but maybe pull it down and give it a good clean. They are super simple you can't get it wrong
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2019, 2:45 pm

wildcard6 wrote:I've just acquired one of these nifty little rifles for long-range rimfire silhouette shooting, but right from the get-go, the magazine fails to feed the last round! I spoke to someone who had a Ruger target rimfire and said he had the same trouble. He gave me a snap-cap to put in first [which feeds just fine!], but I wondered whether anyone had any suggestions as to a proper solution?

I've found the BX15 is outstanding, and wish I could buy more of them for my other Rugers.
Have you tried different bullet designs? I have mainly been feeding my RPR on CCI Std Vel, flawlessly.
Can you get some slow-motion close up of the feeding issue, might give a clue as to the problem.
Is the mag firmly in place? Does holding the mag in tight before feeding the final round make any difference?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2019, 2:46 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:I have a a heap of ruger mags, one bx15 and one a bx25. Have had trouble with a bx1 before and have to tighten the spring but never with the 15 or 25. But I know all mine fail to feed if to dirty. I know its new but maybe pull it down and give it a good clean. They are super simple you can't get it wrong

Unfortunately, the BX15 is riveted together, not screwed. It can be stripped but would probably need to be taped back together.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wildcard6 » 07 Aug 2019, 4:25 pm

Okay, good point - not enough detail [feeding issue]. The last round is pushed forward out of the magazine, but seemingly at too-sharp-an-angle, so just the nose of the bullet goes into the chamber mouth, but the bolt cannot be pushed forward to complete the action of seating the bullet. I am using my preferred ammo [CCI Standards], and NOT keen on changing ammo to suit the rifle's feeding habits. From the early results of group testing, the rifle wants to shoot just fine with this ammo. I will try pushing up on the magazine for the last shot next time out - good idea. So far I've used the supplied 15-round magazine and also a ten-shotter that I bought from an ex-Ruger owner. Both display exactly the same problem with the last round. If all else fails, I can always stay with the snap-cap-in-the-magazine, but it seems a bit half-arsed to need to do this... especially seeing as Ruger have been making these magazine for over 40 years, I reckon!
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by ramshackle » 07 Aug 2019, 6:37 pm

ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 07 Aug 2019, 6:52 pm

If they have exactly the same problem it's probably your rifle. See if there are any burrs or sharp edges on the feed ramp.
Sometimes simply giving the bolt a bit of a slap can help slot it home and smooth the action over time. Have a close look what's actually happening as you attempt to feed the bullet, see what is actually stopping it specifically.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 07 Aug 2019, 9:07 pm

My bx15 mag seems to be a bit funny in my RRP. Switch to a standard Bx10 mag and feeding issues pretty much disappeared. I didn’t really investigate it properly. The bx15 seems to wobble around a bit in the mag well.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 08 Aug 2019, 9:09 am

bladeracer wrote:Unfortunately, the BX15 is riveted together, not screwed. It can be stripped but would probably need to be taped back together.

My 10/22 is good at filling the bx1s with enough crap that i have to clean them fairly often so it would be no good for the bx15. I wonder why they riveted the bx15 when they screwed the bx25
Last edited by Kelsey Cooter on 17 Jan 2020, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wildcard6 » 09 Aug 2019, 10:55 am

I eventually asked the correct Google search question and found a forum where people were discussing the problem that I've been having. So far I've tried five different magazines and every one of the fails to feed the last round. It seems to be a magazine fit issue, with new magazines being a whisker shorter than the older models. I will test the theory that FORWARD pressure on the magazine should eliminate the problem, then figure out a way to shim the magazine so it holds itself forward in the magazine well. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... ?t=1108289
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by longneck75 » 11 Aug 2019, 9:49 am

I took my new RPR to the range yesterday. I have the same issue, it does feed you just have to be a little more forceful, i dont mid it, this way i know when im on my last round.
I put through 200 rounds with no other issues.
longneck75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2019, 1:20 pm

Got me beat. This issue keeps popping up for many brands and chamberings. You would reckon that makers would be able to get this right. How long have magazines been around now. 120 years perhaps?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Aug 2019, 2:09 pm

longneck75 wrote:I took my new RPR to the range yesterday. I have the same issue, it does feed you just have to be a little more forceful, i dont mid it, this way i know when im on my last round.
I put through 200 rounds with no other issues.

Might be worth trying it with the full-length bolt throw perhaps, gives you a bit of a run-up at the cartridge.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wildcard6 » 16 Aug 2019, 3:19 pm

I tried the 'push the magazine forward' fix, but it didn't work. I'll be taking it back to the gun shop to see what they make of it. I did get the chance to try my magazine in someone else's RPRimfire and it worked just fine. Definitely a rifle issue.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by wildcard6 » 02 Oct 2019, 12:28 pm

I sent the RPR back to Nioa twice! The first time they 'fixed' the magazine [which was definitely not the problem], and when I got it back it WOULD [reluctantly] feed the last round, BUT... It required extra effort to chamber the last round, so I ejected the last round without firing it and noticed a polished face on the bullet. Shooting groups showed that the last round chambered did not stay in the group printed by the previous four rounds. I emailed NIOIA directly about this and they said to send it back again, which I did. After a week and a half, they rang me to say that they couldn't rectify the problem and I would be refunded the cost of the rifle. According to NIOA, this is a common problem with Ruger rifles these days and Ruger is well aware of it, but can't offer any solutions to fix it. It would seem that I've been unlucky with my RPR, because there are plenty of people out there who are happy with theirs. On the other hand, there a re a lot of people who wouldn't even notice there's an accuracy problem, because their requirements are so low, they're happy with a two-inch group at 50m. My parting advice if you are considering buying one is to check the rifle functions properly before you go and register it [$40 lost]. I also bought an M-LOK adapter so I could use my bipod [forgot to remove it when it went back to NIOA, so another $20 lost]. I'm looking at buying a CZ457 Varmint to replace the Ruger - I won't be buying any more Rugers.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by landyvlad » 28 Oct 2019, 11:20 am

I just bought an RPR in 22WMR. It's still in the box as I've yet to fit a scope etc but when I get it running I'll report back.

Have those reporting issues all been 22LR ?
landyvlad
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wildcard6 » 29 Oct 2019, 1:36 pm

I believe it's a .22LR - only problem. I just came across someone with a Ruger Target model in .22LR and his scratches the side of EVERY round as it chambers it! Small wonder he's not getting good accuracy! By all means unbox your rifle and try it out, and I wish you luck [I mean that]. I believe that not all Ruger RPR Rimfires have the problem that mine had, because I know folks who are very happy with theirs and they are shooting rimfire Practical Rifle competitions with them. It looks like some are good and some are not. If you get a bad one, take it back to where you got it and Nioa can deal with it. The problem of bad feeding evidently can't be fixed, so if you get a dud, it's no good. I bought a CZ 457 Varmint instead and I'm very happy with it. No feeding issues and it's very accurate. I'm waiting for a Yodave trigger kit to arrive so I can lighten the trigger more than the in-built adjustment allows, but even on the heavy side, it's a fantastic trigger!
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles