Help: Looking for the all rounder CZ457, LA101 or Tikka T1x

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Help: Looking for the all rounder CZ457, LA101 or Tikka T1x

Post by Sturmmann » 09 Aug 2019, 4:25 pm

Hi Guys

Looking at getting one of the above as a all rounder in .22LR for plinking, target shooting and for pest animals. Have also decided to put Leupold Freedom 3x9 40 scope On whatever I buy.

Price under $1,200 (rifle only)
Would like to have the ability to hand it down to my children. Thanks in advance.

I am picking up a Brno 85 Mod2 for my eldest. Never shot it, but it comes highly recommended.
Sturmmann
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Help: Looking for the all rounder CZ457, LA101 or Tikka

Post by Sawyers » 10 Aug 2019, 3:04 pm

All good rifles, handle them and pick wich 1 you like best
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Cooper » 10 Aug 2019, 4:15 pm

I have the leupold Freedom 3x9 rimfire on my cz452 for hunting work. I don’t rate it as a target scope. It has the parralax set for Rimfire. Pretty sure it is 60 yards. It is crystal clear in hunting applications. But I struggle with it shooting targets. Might be my eyes. But it seems to come in and out of focus.

I have a soft spot for CZ’s so I’d probably go the 457. Or the Tikka. I really like the factory Tikka trigger.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Aug 2019, 4:52 pm

The la101 is a very accurate rifle, but the factory trigger is a around 4lbs - but it’s easy to swap with lumley springs. It still has a fraction of creep though even with the lumley springs. Meanwhile the Tikka triggers are up there with the best. But I definitely prefer the euro style stock on the la101 over the tikka.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 10 Aug 2019, 5:04 pm

Cooper wrote:I have the leupold Freedom 3x9 rimfire on my cz452 for hunting work. I don’t rate it as a target scope. It has the parralax set for Rimfire. Pretty sure it is 60 yards. It is crystal clear in hunting applications. But I struggle with it shooting targets. Might be my eyes. But it seems to come in and out of focus.

I have a soft spot for CZ’s so I’d probably go the 457. Or the Tikka. I really like the factory Tikka trigger.

+1 on the loopy scope . i love mine and the hash marks on the bottom recticle are very handy . as for rifles i went through three previously before settling on the CZ452 2E american i have now . i had a cz 452 2e "super match" (factory bedded and with a micro groove barrel) , a 1967 krico 300 that shot that little bit better than the cz , and a brand new weihrauch hw66 , brilliant trigger with pretty good accuracy . bit heavy in weight though . the cz american i now have consistantly shoots fantastic , and after a lowey trigger kit spring is really good . this has been my experience with looking for a good 22lr . i had a weihrauch 22 mag that would shoot 3/4' on a good day . i know none of these rifles are in your post , but i thought my experiences might be helpful . cz american's seem to have a reputation of being good shooters but :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by ClaytonT88 » 12 Aug 2019, 10:11 pm

I love my T1X for it's weight, function and accuracy but I'd budget on perhaps upgrading the stock if you plan on using a bipod.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Mattraff » 12 Aug 2019, 11:25 pm

I own a 457, 101 and 2 452's. My favorite to use is the new 457 with it's smooth action and fantastic adjustable trigger. The 101 is a quality rifle and if Lithgow fitted an adjustable trigger and re engineered the sloppy mag well to stop feed issues it would be one of the best on the market as the action is super strong and very slick. The other benefit of the CZ is the ability to change barrels to other calibres. As for a scope yo really need paralax adjustment if you are going to shoot targets.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Aug 2019, 3:02 pm

Mattraff wrote:I own a 457, 101 and 2 452's. My favorite to use is the new 457 with it's smooth action and fantastic adjustable trigger. The 101 is a quality rifle and if Lithgow fitted an adjustable trigger and re engineered the sloppy mag well to stop feed issues it would be one of the best on the market as the action is super strong and very slick. The other benefit of the CZ is the ability to change barrels to other calibres. As for a scope yo really need paralax adjustment if you are going to shoot targets.

I would definitely support the 457, mine is deadly accurate with RWS HV HP's if I'm on the money, she will shoot .6 all day at 50, I have found this to be the case with most CZ's with the exception of the 455 which I personally have never had much success with, my close mate shoots the Lithgow and whilst it's reasonable it does not run as well as the CZ.
Member-Deleted

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Aug 2019, 7:10 pm

From what I have seen you can buy a Tikka and some Elley or RWS high velocity ammunition and you could go close to winning a local factory rifle competition.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 16 Aug 2019, 8:12 am

SCJ429 wrote:From what I have seen you can buy a Tikka and some Elley or RWS high velocity ammunition and you could go close to winning a local factory rifle competition.

worth requoting :drinks:

Tikka just a bettera more accurate package than the CZ.

Disclaimer : have owned Anschutz, CZ, Mauser
currently own a Tikka T1x

1930s Mauser the most accurate rimfire i have ever owned with 6-8mm 5 shot groups at 50m the norm with Eley match
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sturmmann » 05 Sep 2019, 12:27 pm

I ended up ordering a CZ457 Varmint in 22.. Will post some pics when I eventually pick it up.
Sturmmann
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 05 Sep 2019, 3:56 pm

Nice one! Have fun shooting and let us know how it goes!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Sep 2019, 8:02 am

Sturmmann wrote:I ended up ordering a CZ457 Varmint in 22.. Will post some pics when I eventually pick it up.

Good choice, I just found a Brono CZ Mod 5, been looking for ages, hard to find a good one and out of the blue up came one that has not had more than 2 boxes put through it in 40 ad years, the a senior gentleman who owned it said he had so many rifles that he simply left it wrapped up in oily cloth at the back of his safe and forgot he had it, he told me he has over 100 .22's from the basic to top custom Mauser units which are almost unheard of in this country, that's what I hope to hand down to my Grandson but now I'm stuck for a scope that periodically suits it, thanking maybe a Pecar 8x40 but again to find a good one is hard due to age of the model. Good luck you will love the 457 my mates one shoots as good as my Anschutz 1710 costin 3 times the amount he paid for the 457 :unknown:
Member-Deleted

Post by AussiePlinkster » 06 Sep 2019, 3:56 pm

Get the Cogswell and Harrison in the 22lr. It's a CZ455.
AussiePlinkster
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sturmmann » 07 Sep 2019, 12:35 am

Along with the CZ457, I'm picking up a Brno Mod 2 85 year tomorrow, has had less than 20 rounds put though it... So excited
Sturmmann
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 12 Sep 2019, 6:13 pm

Good choice - I'm enjoying my 457 immensely. Mine is in 17HMR and I grabbed a 22WMR barrel as well.
HMR shoots comfortably within 1MOA at 100 straight out of the box. I've only put around 40 rounds through it so far. It likes 17 grn ammo.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles