Marlin Golden-39A. I finally found one.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Marlin Golden-39A. I finally found one.

Post by green_comet » 11 Aug 2019, 11:22 pm

After months of searching I finally found one, to say I'm excited would be a huge understatement. :D

Should be picking her up at some point this week.

green_comet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: I finally found one...

Post by cracker » 12 Aug 2019, 1:02 am

marlin take down??? 22lr? 15 shot tube?
from what iv read they are meant to be excellent, congrats
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Aug 2019, 8:45 am

Dont want to share more info as to what it is for those who arent cool enough to know from the one tight pic...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by green_comet » 12 Aug 2019, 9:02 am

Stix wrote:Dont want to share more info as to what it is for those who arent cool enough to know from the one tight pic...?

Just a teaser pic for now, I'll take more photos when I pick it up. It's a Marlin Golden-39A chambered in .22 S/L/LR, considered by many to be the best lever action .22 ever made, also proved to be a massive prick to find locally. :lol:

https://youtu.be/eLSG-AsEgTg

green_comet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Aug 2019, 11:00 am

Ah great...isnt that just bloody dandy...!!

Now there's another gun i want that gets added to the 'cant afford' list...the list was plenty big enough thanks---it didnt need your opinions to go influencing it....are you happy now...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 12 Aug 2019, 12:16 pm

Beautiful guns they are, and the long sight-radius is just perfect for offhand plinking. I've shot one that had a MVA tang sight, and a Lyman front with the little globe Lee Shaver insert. With that setup it's possible to consistently knock down the RMS silhouettes (sized for scoped shooting!).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mattraff » 15 Aug 2019, 10:17 am

Beautiful little rifle and lucky to find one. There is also the Chiapa copy of these on the market but it is not at the same standard as the Marlin.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 27 Aug 2019, 5:14 pm

Marlin 39a's are awesome, I have various brno's, winchesters and I must admit my Marlins are my favourite, particularly my 39a made in 1960, as accurate as all the rest, beautifully balanced for off hand shooting. You see them for sale in bribs and brabs but sell very quickly.
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Sep 2019, 12:12 pm

I wish I could find one, been looking for 3 months now, shops don't seem to have them, if they do come up on the few used guns sites, they get snapped up so quick or they are ridiculous on price, keep looking I guess, my mate has one and it is super accurate.
Member-Deleted

Post by green_comet » 03 Sep 2019, 8:37 am

Member-Deleted wrote:I wish I could find one, been looking for 3 months now, shops don't seem to have them, if they do come up on the few used guns sites, they get snapped up so quick or they are ridiculous on price, keep looking I guess, my mate has one and it is super accurate.

Yeah it took me a while to find one and reckon I did over pay for it, supply and demand is a bitch. :lol:

I've spent the last couple week cleaning it up, pulled it apart and gave it a thorough cleaning, replaced a couple things with some spare parts that came with it and re-finished the stock with tru oil. It looks a million bucks now.

I took it out to the range last week and put a heap of rounds through it, shoots great after correctly adjusting the open sights. Thinking I might still put a scope on it though (my eyes aren't great), was thinking a Leupold FX-I Rimfire 4x28mm
green_comet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 03 Sep 2019, 9:51 pm

Looks good mate :thumbsup: :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Sep 2019, 7:55 pm

Don't worry , i'll help ya's spend money on more toys :D quite a few savage 99's floating about lately too :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ausbushman » 10 Sep 2019, 6:37 am

Good find, the one I would be purchasing out of the 3 would be the for $1390, it is 1948 manufacture and is all original, original front sight hood, they didn't come with sling swivels. That rifle should be the highest priced one of the three. Second pic would be the for $1599 its 1982 pre trigger safety switch, the price is up there, top dollar really. I'm not buying anymore got too many
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 10 Sep 2019, 6:41 am

usually the 1948 models had no provision to mount a scope, so was for iron sight use only
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 22 Sep 2019, 6:29 pm

They don't last long Marlin 39a made by Marlin. I have a 22 collection with all the classics and I think the my Marlin 39a 1960 is the most accurate, smooth and easy to shoulder of the lot, my favourite If you haven't handled shot one give it a go if the opportunity arises
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by green_comet » 13 Nov 2020, 10:49 am

Thought I'd revive this old thread.

I got a call from a mate saying he knew of a dealer down in Tasmania who had a very rare JM Marlin 39TDS for sale. The dealer acquired it from a deceased estate and had it sitting in his safe at home for the past 3 years. I've never seen or heard of another one for sale in Australia and neither had the dealer, so a bunch of calls and a couple weeks later it was all mine.

It's a tiny little thing with a 16 1/2" barrel and a sweet companion to my 39A.

green_comet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 13 Nov 2020, 11:06 am

Very nice
Excellent condition.
Is the threaded barrel standard?
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by green_comet » 13 Nov 2020, 2:41 pm

LawrenceA wrote:Very nice
Excellent condition.
Is the threaded barrel standard?

I'm not 100% sure on whether the threaded barrels were standard. Both of mine have them so I'm guessing it was either standard or an option.
green_comet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Nov 2020, 7:17 pm

Any idea when it was made? Looks new.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by green_comet » 13 Nov 2020, 9:56 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Any idea when it was made? Looks new.

They were made from 1988-1995. Mine starts with TDS in the serial number, going by info online only the first year of manufacture had serial numbers starting with TDS, so it'd be a 1988 build.
green_comet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Christopherss » 24 Dec 2023, 1:57 pm

green_comet wrote:Thought I'd revive this old thread.

I got a call from a mate saying he knew of a dealer down in Tasmania who had a very rare JM Marlin 39TDS for sale. The dealer acquired it from a deceased estate and had it sitting in his safe at home for the past 3 years. I've never seen or heard of another one for sale in Australia and neither had the dealer, so a bunch of calls and a couple weeks later it was all mine.

It's a tiny little thing with a 16 1/2" barrel and a sweet companion to my 39A.

Thought I'd revive this old thread, again.

I bought my TDS around 6-7 years ago in Canberra. Just was looking for a small .22 and he pulled this out and it was sold before I even touched it. No carry bag or sight hood but the dozen foxes it's taken didn't ask about that. I wouldn't say it's the straightest shooter, but its consistent in its inaccuracy. By no

It's perfect for the young ones on the farm, it's been a great introduction to firearms and responsible shooting. I've never seen another for sale or anything even referencing one in Australia. Needless to say, when I saw your comments, I had to reply.

My serial number starts with 11, designating it as a 1989 manufacture.
Attachments
IMG_7136.jpg
IMG_7136.jpg (513.79 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
IMG_7135.jpg
IMG_7135.jpg (524.68 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Christopherss
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Marlin Golden-39A. I finally found one.

Post by safeshot » 10 Jan 2024, 8:45 pm

:thumbsup:
Loverly piece of kit.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles