Brno Ammo

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Brno Ammo

Post by Jeff » 23 Aug 2019, 6:49 pm

What Ammo are people using in their 22lr Brno's I have a model 4 target
Jeff
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Brno Ammo

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2019, 7:02 pm

Winchester Power Points and their later version.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jeff » 23 Aug 2019, 7:02 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Winchester Power Points and their later version.

Thanks
Jeff
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2019, 7:12 pm

Jeff wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Winchester Power Points and their later version.

Thanks

Your welcome Jeff, best thing to do is buy a few diff brands/weights etc and see what works for you (not sure if you were more interested in target shooting or hunting, I only use mine for Hunting as a rule (occasionally shoot a few targets for a bit of fun). :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jeff » 23 Aug 2019, 7:32 pm

Buddy only Target shooting 25 and 50 yards
Jeff
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2019, 8:22 pm

Jeff wrote:Buddy only Target shooting 25 and 50 yards

Ah righto, as I said try as many diff brands as you can to find what will shoot best in your 22, hopefully it isn't that bloody expensive 22 ammo that's out there :D

cheers mate and have fun testing. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 23 Aug 2019, 8:58 pm

the power points are what I have seen that seems to work in most brnos
my #1 will only shoot stingers but my #2 likes cci subsonics but will shoot the power points, my sons #2 likes the power points
it is worth the while to buy a few different packets and try them out but dont go off a clean barrel and clean before you try a different brand :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Jeff » 23 Aug 2019, 9:06 pm

marksman wrote:the power points are what I have seen that seems to work in most brnos
my #1 will only shoot stingers but my #2 likes cci subsonics but will shoot the power points, my sons #2 likes the power points
it is worth the while to buy a few different packets and try them out but dont go off a clean barrel and clean before you try a different brand :drinks:

Thanks
Jeff
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 24 Aug 2019, 6:27 am

G'day all,

CCI sub-sonics are very accurate out of my Brno Model 2, but faster ammunition just sprays around. I'm told that this is not uncommon.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 24 Aug 2019, 6:54 am

As you probably know rimfire rifles are more ammo picky than CF, like the fellas said, you need to see what works for yours. They can even be picky between different ammo lot numbers. I hunt and plink, no serious target work. For hunting I start with the fastest and work backwards until I find groups I need. CCi Stinger at 1600fps, Remington yellow jackets about the same, CCI velocitor( advertised 1435, in reality about 1390), minimag( think 1280?). At the moment velocitor is doing pretty well in my gun which is good. Its not quite as flat shooting as the Stingers but probably the best thumper in 22LR with a heavier bullet that penetrates well. These high velocity 22LR do have noticeable knockdown effect on game for the record.

When I was chasing groups to see what the rifle could do I chose the cheapest subsonic ammo and gradually escalated price until I found the best groups. Generic brands then into the match grade stuff, Sk, RWS, eley, lapua etc. The match grade stuff will have an inherent advantage on normal ammo but you might get lucky with cheaper brands first. Also its not the greatest hunting ammo, solid lead round nose, low velocity, drills holes. The reason match grade ammo is subsonic btw is as a supersonic bullet drops down below the speed of sound downrange, it can create a slight instability during that transition. Subsonic ammo aka starting out below the speed of sound, will not experience this problem down range.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Strikey » 24 Aug 2019, 7:30 am

If your Model 4 is anything like my Model 1 it will shoot extremely well with Lapua Center X, it is pricey, SK Standard Plus is a cheaper choice although I have a batch at the moment that is giving a lot of vertical stringing out of 3 different rifles but if you want some cheap practice rounds try the Eley Standard, 500rnds in a box for 70ish bucks, my Mod 1 easily puts 5 in a hole at 50m and sub 1 inch groups at 100m with my Sako 94, if you want better than that you can go to Eley Tenex, depends on how much you want to spend :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jeff » 24 Aug 2019, 4:58 pm

Thanks for all the advice
Jeff
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Aug 2019, 6:47 pm

I don't own a Brno but Eley and RWS make some nice ammo.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by razor222 » 18 Sep 2019, 7:46 pm

Currently, I have only tried SK flat nose Match ammo (good for 50m but no further I'm told). Want to try the SK Rifle Match and CCI SV to see how it compares. The SK I've tried shot easily under 1" at 50m with me being quite inexperienced.
Brno Mod 2
BSA Meteor
razor222
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 18 Sep 2019, 10:10 pm

SK Standard + tends to shoot well in them, as well as SK Magazine - the stuff in the Pringles can.

I wouldn't go with ultra-subsonic styles, I have rad of people getting a bullet caught in the barrel, since Brnos are (allegedly) tighter than many other makes.

I also have RWS subsonics and a few others - in general, European ammo seems to work better in mine than American / Australian ammo - I think they're spoilt myself ....
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by peterclark » 18 Sep 2019, 10:51 pm

7.5 FK BNRO Ammo is a completely new proprietary cartridge caliber. The case is 27 mm long, the total length of the cartridge is 35 mm, and the head diameter of the case is 10,8 mm. This caliber is not a necked down version of any other caliber. The case is designed to withstand higher pressures than is usually used in pistol calibers.
peterclark

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Sep 2019, 1:17 pm

Oh no - he’s back!!!!! Where’s the bloody cheese....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by peterclark » 26 Sep 2019, 8:07 pm

The case is 27 mm long, the total length of the cartridge is 35 mm, and the head diameter of the case is 10,8 mm. This caliber is not a necked down version of any other caliber. The case is designed to withstand higher pressures than is usually used in pistol calibers.
peterclark

Post by rossfrb » 26 Sep 2019, 9:23 pm

My 2e likes PMC Zapper.
Hasn't been available for donkeys.
Then at a gun show someone had a brick of it for sale - woohoo. I'd been down to my last 3 packets
RWS subsonic HP is so so.
RWS HV HP is so so.
Federal 525 pack is so so.
Winchester 42 gr subsonic HP groups crap.
Picky rifle:(
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles