Savage MKII-BTVLSS

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Savage MKII-BTVLSS

Post by mikejay » 23 Sep 2019, 10:04 pm

Ok so I've bought a 22, my first rifle. It's a Savage MKII-BTVLSS, yeah I'm a lefty, anyway the barrel is already free floated, so my question is, would you still do a bedding job on it?

mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Savage MKII-BTVLSS

Post by in2anity » 24 Sep 2019, 8:47 am

mikejay wrote:Ok so I've bought a 22, my first rifle. It's a Savage MKII-BTVLSS, yeah I'm a lefty, anyway the barrel is already free floated, so my question is, would you still do a bedding job on it?]

What sort of gains are you hoping to achieve by bedding? What sort of ammo can you afford to routinely run through it? A bedding job might improve accuracy, but you'll need to be shooting pretty high quality ammo for the difference to becom measurable.... what sort of groups (with what ammo) are you currently getting out of it?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by allan » 24 Sep 2019, 1:23 pm

https://www.kinneysshootingsupply.com/p ... 014-ss.htm
https://www.kinneysshootingsupply.com/p ... 020-ss.htm

The best way to improve consistency with the Mark II is to replace the thin bottom metal plate with an after market up-grade like the DIP product linked above. There is not a lot of wood around the front action screw in these stocks and the thicker plate won't distort & give you more consistent torque - Usually something in the range of 15 inch pounds works OK.

Here's a couple of pics of bedding & heavy bottom metal on one of mine:
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by mikejay » 24 Sep 2019, 4:09 pm

I am aware of the thicker floor plate, I made my own but instead of a wood screw into the stock i made the hole line up with the unused action post and bought a ss #12-32 screw from NIOA for it.

Nice bedding job! I was wondering where to put the bedding material. Thanks for the pics.

Can I ask, what did you use for the bedding material?

allan wrote:https://www.kinneysshootingsupply.com/product-p/dp-13014-ss.htm
https://www.kinneysshootingsupply.com/p ... 020-ss.htm

The best way to improve consistency with the Mark II is to replace the thin bottom metal plate with an after market up-grade like the DIP product linked above. There is not a lot of wood around the front action screw in these stocks and the thicker plate won't distort & give you more consistent torque - Usually something in the range of 15 inch pounds works OK.

Here's a couple of pics of bedding & heavy bottom metal on one of mine:
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by allan » 24 Sep 2019, 6:32 pm

Lee Trengove did the bedding job - Not sure what material he uses but all his work is right up there!
http://trentech.com.au/beddingstock-work.html

Here's another Mark II build he did for me:
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Sep 2019, 8:09 am

The Savages love the CCI Standards so give those a go if you want to shoot tiny groups. As for bedding I'd hold off and see how it shoots first - I never worried about bedding the Daughters one as it shot fine without it and doubt spending the $$ would really improve things much if at all. It's got the thicker mag plate and aftermarket trigger guard and the triggers been worked (I bought the rifle for $400 from memory 2nd hand) it's also wearing a 6x Jap Tasco scope.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 Sep 2019, 10:55 am

Those are extraordinary groups, bfg :clap: :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by peterclark » 25 Sep 2019, 7:59 pm

Raise the bar in 22 LR performance. The Mark II BTVLSS offers user-adjustable AccuTrigger technology for crisp, customized trigger pulls. Its 21-inch, heavy stainless steel barrel is button rifled for exceptional accuracy, and perfectly balanced to the laminate thumb-hole stock.
peterclark

Post by peterclark » 01 Oct 2019, 7:24 pm

This tack-driving bolt-action rimfire from Savage features a crisp-breaking AccuTrigger and free-floating, button-rifled barrel, two of the most essential ingredients for an accurate rifle. The stock has swivel studs and a detachable five-round magazine is also included. No other rimfire has a reputation for out-of-the-box accuracy and value for money like a Savage rimfire. https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/tacticaledgeau/
Last edited by peterclark on 01 Oct 2019, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterclark

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Oct 2019, 7:27 pm

f*** YOU PETER lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 02 Oct 2019, 7:47 am

are you a sales rep for savage?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by peterclark » 08 Oct 2019, 4:01 pm

Raise the bar in 22 LR performance. The Mark II BTVLSS offers user-adjustable AccuTrigger™ technology for crisp, customized trigger pulls. Its 21-inch, heavy stainless steel barrel is button rifled for exceptional accuracy, and perfectly balanced to the laminate thumbhole stock.
peterclark

Post by sungazer » 08 Oct 2019, 4:40 pm

Strange, Strange cmon Peter what is your deal?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by razor222 » 08 Oct 2019, 8:36 pm

Lol peter. Nice first purchase mate. Was looking at one of these, but kept missing out on the 2nd hand deals. Hope u can get the results you're after
Brno Mod 2
BSA Meteor
razor222
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles