CZ 457 Varmint - anybody have one?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ 457 Varmint - anybody have one?

Post by wildcard6 » 02 Oct 2019, 12:35 pm

I'm in the market for a replacement for my dud Ruger Precision Rimfire rifle that has an unfixable feeding problem and has been returned for refund. I'm keen to know whether anybody has a 457 Varmint and whether they are happy with it, accuracy-wise. Even though 95% of my rimfire shooting is range-based, I still like to keep the bunny-busting options open with a somewhat classical field rifle configuration. I tried the trigger on one at my LGS today and while it was heavy as set from the factory, it was quite crisp when it went off. I'm interested to hear from anyone with a 457 [any model] with comments/reviews. Thanks.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: CZ 457 Varmint - anybody have one?

Post by Cooper » 02 Oct 2019, 2:44 pm

I have a Cz457 MTR on order. But have a Varmint barrel out of a cz457 in my 455. Its quite heavy. But seems to shoot quite well. I actually just swapped it back to the 17hmr barrel (sporter weight barrel).

I personally like the look of the new 457 design and like the interchangeable barrel system.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Oct 2019, 6:48 pm

Hey any updates on when the mtr will land... i want to check it out.

Maybe they have a demo at the shot show

But likely 20 guns will come into aus and the order list is 500 long already, lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Elite_Sniper » 07 Oct 2019, 1:19 pm

I bought a 22cal Tipton 36" rod, mainly because my 3 piece brass one was not long enough for my Ultra Lux. I have only had it a few weeks but it seems to fit and work really well in all my CZ's. And it is very well made and plenty stiff. Got it at Midway when it was on sale.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you want
Elite_Sniper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by skwerl101 » 20 Nov 2019, 1:02 pm

My favorite 200 mtr gun is my CZ 457 MTR .17 HMR , I like all of the updates/changes CZ put in them .
I don't want to list them all just say the short /low bolt throw & trigger really really feel good.. .. s
skwerl101
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Nov 2019, 1:13 pm

Have you considered the Tikka rimfire? I have used two and they both shot extremely well.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Goshawk » 21 Nov 2019, 10:40 am

skwerl101 wrote:My favorite 200 mtr gun is my CZ 457 MTR .17 HMR , I like all of the updates/changes CZ put in them .
I don't want to list them all just say the short /low bolt throw & trigger really really feel good.. .. s

How accurate is the MTR 17hmr? Do it have a match chamber like the 22lr version? (Is there such a think as a match 17hmr chamber?!)
I have trying to work out if there is any difference between the 17hmr MTR and varmint models (apart from the stock and about $200).
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by skwerl101 » 22 Nov 2019, 6:25 am

The MTR's in .17 HMR are not a match chamber , mine is fantastic to shoot smooth bolt lift and throw , It has the Heavy barrel 525mm / 20.5 in extreemly accurate out to 200mtrs .
Actually I have an MTR in .22 with a 412.5mm / 16.5in match chamber , fantastic to shoot as well . She certainly does not like cheap ammo CCI or Aguila , RWS works best, I haven't tried long range but 50 - 75 mtrs it's great .. They almost seem like two different guns......... S
skwerl101
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Dingo_Lingo » 30 Nov 2019, 6:18 am

Bit late to the party but I have one in 22lr. It’s a great rifle! Seems pretty accurate although I’ve only put about 300 rounds through it and it’s been solely SK rifle match at this point.
The trigger assembly is different to the 455’s too. It pretty adjustable with take up, over travel and weight being pretty easy to adjust. I still want to get a new spring kit for it though.

Over all it’s a great rifle and shoots better than I do.
Dingo_Lingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles