Savage A22R Cleaning

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Savage A22R Cleaning

Post by Badger » 21 Jan 2020, 12:15 am

G’day, new to the forum as I was just googling others opinions on the cleaning of the A22R.
Picked up the stainless version a week or so ago, mounted a 4-12 x 44 scope. I’m yet to shoot it (out to the range tomorrow) but I did run a wet bore snake thru and decided to pull it apart to see how much of a bother it is to clean the bolt etc.
Wasn’t too bad, getting the top receiver screw back in was a bit fiddly as it was right under the scope, they say to torque it to 50 in/lb, but there’s no way you’re getting a torque driver in there unless you take the scope off. A red dot might be the go.
Should be a fun little 22 by all accounts.
Badger
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Jt-2019 » 05 Feb 2020, 1:09 pm

Yeah I'd say use a snake mate after you've taken it out should do the trick
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by mikejay » 05 Feb 2020, 1:46 pm

Otis Ripcord for 22LR, fantastic product, better than a snake for a quick clean but still run a single piece rod NOT one of those multi section pieces of crap. Going in from the breech is best. A bronze brush, a plastic brush, a pointy jag with the small squares and a mop.

Bore Tech Rimfire blend for the cleaner as its formulated for rimfire and doesn't contain chems that disolve metals not found in rimfire rounds.
Your choice for a lube/oil.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Countryboy89 » 06 Mar 2022, 10:52 pm

longneck75 wrote:Hi all, Just bought a Savage A22r, waiting on the PTA.
I asked this question in the shop and was told to just use a snake, but does anyone here have one of these rifles and if so How do you clean it?

I strip mine right down and clean it regularly check the link for a procedure https://youtu.be/aDHPG9TweaM
Countryboy89
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by two_stroke » 10 May 2022, 5:40 pm

Badger wrote:G’day, new to the forum as I was just googling others opinions on the cleaning of the A22R.
Picked up the stainless version a week or so ago, mounted a 4-12 x 44 scope. I’m yet to shoot it (out to the range tomorrow) but I did run a wet bore snake thru and decided to pull it apart to see how much of a bother it is to clean the bolt etc.
Wasn’t too bad, getting the top receiver screw back in was a bit fiddly as it was right under the scope, they say to torque it to 50 in/lb, but there’s no way you’re getting a torque driver in there unless you take the scope off. A red dot might be the go.
Should be a fun little 22 by all accounts.

I've got the A17 - red dot definitely makes things easier when it comes to removing bits for cleaning.
two_stroke
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by NTSOG » 17 May 2022, 7:01 am

G'day,

On the subject of cleaning rifles and, specifically, cleaning rods I bought a Dewey stainless steel rod in .22 some time ago. It seemed a decent product - until I happened to sight from the jag I installed at the tip back along the shaft of the rod. The rod itself was and is absolutely straight, but the jag, screwed in at the tip, was clearly not in line with the shaft, but deviated perhaps 10-15 degrees off line. I didn't check the rod when I first bought it; I assumed that a reasonably expensive - $80 - rod would have been tapped correctly to hold a jag dead in line with the shaft - and that is the cause of the problem: the rod has not been tapped straight at the tip hence the jag seats off line when screwed tight.

I took it back to the gun shop and showed it to them. I then took an identical Dewey rod off the display rack and fitted two different jags. Both jags seated off line. I suspect others would have had the same manufacturing fault. I bought another [more expensive] rod which seats jags dead straight and now use that exclusively.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles