Savage A22R Cleaning

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Savage A22R Cleaning

Post by longneck75 » 31 Oct 2019, 8:52 pm

Hi all, Just bought a Savage A22r, waiting on the PTA.
I asked this question in the shop and was told to just use a snake, but does anyone here have one of these rifles and if so How do you clean it?
longneck75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Savage A22R Cleaning

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Nov 2019, 6:57 am

A rimfire needs a good scrub every 200 or 300 rounds. A bore snake is not going to do that for you. Find a way to get a brush in there on a cleaning rod.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 01 Nov 2019, 7:54 am

as above but use a coated rod from the muzzle carefully so you dont hurt the crown
l would use a rag at the chamber end to try and stop the solvent and crud getting into the action and after a good scrub and patch out blow compressed air through the bore from the chamber end
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 01 Nov 2019, 8:40 am

Its not that hard to remove it from the stock take the rear cover off and drop the bolt out. then you can clean it from the rear. There are several videos online to give you a step by step guide.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by InisBineest » 01 Nov 2019, 10:31 am

I clean mine from the rear and give the bolt and receiver a good clean ever 100 rounds or so. Very different to any other 22 I have owned it that it really needs a good clean more often or it begins to gum up. The plastic dust cover is finicky to take off and on, but doable without too much hassle. Just don't force anything, it should come apart and go back together without any need to shove anything.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Nov 2019, 5:01 pm

Use a bore snake!

lol chimp.gif
lol chimp.gif (284.83 KiB) Viewed 7096 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Crazy » 02 Nov 2019, 3:17 pm

Hey mate, here's a NIOA TV video which shows off the Savage A22R at 2:38 it goes into the disassembly and cleaning of the rifle. Hope this helps cheers. https://youtu.be/aDHPG9TweaM?t=158
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by flutch » 02 Nov 2019, 3:32 pm

SCJ429 wrote:A rimfire needs a good scrub every 200 or 300 rounds. A bore snake is not going to do that for you. Find a way to get a brush in there on a cleaning rod.

really? cos dunno bout that, my ruger has never needed anything besides my boresnake, perhaps you dont have one with copper brushes in it?
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by InisBineest » 02 Nov 2019, 4:24 pm

I my experience with my A22R it isn't the bore that needs cleaning. The reciprocating bolt, receiver and chamber are the bits that really need to be clear of grime. The barrel seems to do just fine, like most 22s really.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by longneck75 » 03 Nov 2019, 5:37 pm

Thanks guys.... I've seen the "official videos"
I'm just reluctant to pull things apart, I have a habit of breaking things.
longneck75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 14 Nov 2019, 7:25 pm

The A22R rifles might all be confiscated before they get too dirty anyway, NT has just recently moved that model into Category C, no buyback or compensation either just an instruction to dispose of it sent to everyone on the registry that has one.

Other stated to follow? I guess they're watching to see if there's any backlash.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 15 Nov 2019, 9:20 am

I saw that about the NT reclassification. There is a buy back mentioned in the letter sent to people if they are unable to sell them to people where they are allowed.

I have promptly gone out and bought one as the shops seem nervous and are selling the stock. It could spread to other States but I am betting on a grandfather clause like there has been on previous occasions. take the DTS in NSW it was reclassified but current owners were allowed to keep them.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by sungazer » 15 Nov 2019, 9:22 am

There would be a huge backlash if the same wording was implemented in other States. It really would apply to the Verny cannon, Lever guns, straight pulls that would be the straw that we just might need to unite all shooters and stand up and push back.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Crazy » 20 Nov 2019, 3:30 pm

sungazer wrote:I saw that about the NT reclassification. There is a buy back mentioned in the letter sent to people if they are unable to sell them to people where they are allowed.

I have promptly gone out and bought one as the shops seem nervous and are selling the stock. It could spread to other States but I am betting on a grandfather clause like there has been on previous occasions. take the DTS in NSW it was reclassified but current owners were allowed to keep them.

It was my understanding that the Verney Carron was always banned in the NT but either way NT Police have always hated Lever release firearms.
I'm not expecting other states to follow just because they are no faster then a pump action or straight pull, no crime has been committed with them and there is too many at this stage to ban without legislation change.
With what ever happens enjoy what you have while you have it and if you have to give it up at least you got to enjoy it.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by longneck75 » 01 Dec 2019, 2:12 pm

Just came back from the range. Bloody hell these are fun to shoot.
Just got a cheap ebay red dot on her which does the job.
Got off 10 rounds in about 5 seconds, old mate next to me wasn't happy and complained, RO came over and said there was a rule that you cant fire more than one round every 3 seconds have to say I count see the sign or it written anywhere....
longneck75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 01 Dec 2019, 4:45 pm

I found the cleaning not as easy as first thought. The chassis seems to be slightly just higher than the bore so the cleaning rod does rub on the back of the frame.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Crazy » 08 Jan 2020, 8:21 pm

longneck75 wrote:Just came back from the range. Bloody hell these are fun to shoot.
Just got a cheap ebay red dot on her which does the job.
Got off 10 rounds in about 5 seconds, old mate next to me wasn't happy and complained, RO came over and said there was a rule that you cant fire more than one round every 3 seconds have to say I count see the sign or it written anywhere....

Someone was complaining about a 22.? If you don't mind me asking what range in Vic was it?
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 09 Jan 2020, 5:59 pm

Springvale has that rule. And it is in the rules, available online. Rule 15.8
https://ssaavic.com.au/wp-content/uploa ... sion-5.pdf
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Badger » 21 Jan 2020, 12:15 am

G’day, new to the forum as I was just googling others opinions on the cleaning of the A22R.
Picked up the stainless version a week or so ago, mounted a 4-12 x 44 scope. I’m yet to shoot it (out to the range tomorrow) but I did run a wet bore snake thru and decided to pull it apart to see how much of a bother it is to clean the bolt etc.
Wasn’t too bad, getting the top receiver screw back in was a bit fiddly as it was right under the scope, they say to torque it to 50 in/lb, but there’s no way you’re getting a torque driver in there unless you take the scope off. A red dot might be the go.
Should be a fun little 22 by all accounts.
Badger
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Jt-2019 » 05 Feb 2020, 1:09 pm

Yeah I'd say use a snake mate after you've taken it out should do the trick
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by mikejay » 05 Feb 2020, 1:46 pm

Otis Ripcord for 22LR, fantastic product, better than a snake for a quick clean but still run a single piece rod NOT one of those multi section pieces of crap. Going in from the breech is best. A bronze brush, a plastic brush, a pointy jag with the small squares and a mop.

Bore Tech Rimfire blend for the cleaner as its formulated for rimfire and doesn't contain chems that disolve metals not found in rimfire rounds.
Your choice for a lube/oil.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Countryboy89 » 06 Mar 2022, 10:52 pm

longneck75 wrote:Hi all, Just bought a Savage A22r, waiting on the PTA.
I asked this question in the shop and was told to just use a snake, but does anyone here have one of these rifles and if so How do you clean it?

I strip mine right down and clean it regularly check the link for a procedure https://youtu.be/aDHPG9TweaM
Countryboy89
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by two_stroke » 10 May 2022, 5:40 pm

Badger wrote:G’day, new to the forum as I was just googling others opinions on the cleaning of the A22R.
Picked up the stainless version a week or so ago, mounted a 4-12 x 44 scope. I’m yet to shoot it (out to the range tomorrow) but I did run a wet bore snake thru and decided to pull it apart to see how much of a bother it is to clean the bolt etc.
Wasn’t too bad, getting the top receiver screw back in was a bit fiddly as it was right under the scope, they say to torque it to 50 in/lb, but there’s no way you’re getting a torque driver in there unless you take the scope off. A red dot might be the go.
Should be a fun little 22 by all accounts.

I've got the A17 - red dot definitely makes things easier when it comes to removing bits for cleaning.
two_stroke
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by NTSOG » 17 May 2022, 7:01 am

G'day,

On the subject of cleaning rifles and, specifically, cleaning rods I bought a Dewey stainless steel rod in .22 some time ago. It seemed a decent product - until I happened to sight from the jag I installed at the tip back along the shaft of the rod. The rod itself was and is absolutely straight, but the jag, screwed in at the tip, was clearly not in line with the shaft, but deviated perhaps 10-15 degrees off line. I didn't check the rod when I first bought it; I assumed that a reasonably expensive - $80 - rod would have been tapped correctly to hold a jag dead in line with the shaft - and that is the cause of the problem: the rod has not been tapped straight at the tip hence the jag seats off line when screwed tight.

I took it back to the gun shop and showed it to them. I then took an identical Dewey rod off the display rack and fitted two different jags. Both jags seated off line. I suspect others would have had the same manufacturing fault. I bought another [more expensive] rod which seats jags dead straight and now use that exclusively.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles