CZ 457 Varmint - I have one!

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ 457 Varmint - I have one!

Post by wildcard6 » 02 Nov 2019, 9:22 pm

I'm very happy with my new 457 Varmint - it shoots extremely well, although so far it seems to prefer less expensive ammo over the top-shelf stuff. I shot a 50m five-shot group using CCI Mini Mag [HV] that went just over .5" [9/16ths] then changed to CCI Standard ammo. The first shot was the only one that didn't join the following NINE into less than .5" at 50m. The total for ten rounds is 11/16ths" I also tried Eley Edge at 100 yards - not great, then Lapua Centre-X [$20/50] and they shot a huge group at 100 yds - over 3"!! I finally settled on SK Standard + that shot 8/10 shots into 1.5" at 100 yards, which isn't too shabby at all for a non-target rifle. A couple of things to note though. The short 60-degree bolt lift is HEAVY, so if you want a rapid-fire rifle, you won't like the 457. Second point; the adjustment available for trigger weight is not enough to get the trigger down to a good shooting weight [won't go under about 2.5 lbs], although the break is awesomely crisp and inert due to the short, lightweight firing pin. I've installed the YODAVE replacement trigger spring and the weight is now around 1.5 lbs, which is fine. Last point to note; the pillar-bedding system leaves a lot to be desired, because the holes in the pillars are about 5.5mm diameter, while the action bolts are only 5mm. This means the action doesn't automatically self-centre in the stock - especially noticeable when the barrel is off-centre like mine was. I've wrapped some 100 mph tape around the action bolts and snipped off bits until the bolts only JUST pass through the pillars and this seems to have put the barrel into the centre of the channel now. Each time I've removed the action from the stock [T25 Torx], they seemed not to be as tight as I put them in so it might pay to put some light lock-tite on the threads to ensure they don't come loose. Over-all I'd say all the changes CZ has made add up to a very classy, accurate rifle worth the dollars.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: CZ 457 Varmint - I have one!

Post by michael_sa » 02 Nov 2019, 10:20 pm

Congrats, that's great to hear! I almost went down the 457 path, but opted for the Lithgow LA101.
I shot it for the first time today and boy do I wish I felt the same about it as you do about your 457...
Will do a separate write up soon, - I had limited time at the range today, but out of 70 shots I had 5 fail to fire (including it's virginal shot) and one chambering issue.
So I'm not a real happy camper tonight. Looks like insufficient firing pin force on the rim to me.
Anyway, I'm glad you have had a better result than me. Those are some good groups.
Regards
Getting back into it...

Lithgow LA101 .22RF. Hawke Vantage 6-24x44SF

In a previous life:
Winchester Model 70XTR .243W Weaver K6
Franchi 520 12GA
Ruger 10/22 Sporter
Beretta 76 .22LR
S&W 686 .357 (x2)

On the contemplation list: Beretta 87
michael_sa
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SHV » 03 Nov 2019, 12:09 am

nice !
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 03 Nov 2019, 8:42 am

I have one in the 452 model. Pretty much live with it these days
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by skwerl101 » 20 Nov 2019, 11:31 am

Greetings & Hy from Canada
I have been shooting my 457 MTR .17 HMR all this season , it is
my favorite 200 mtr gun . Love all of the improvements over the 455's
bolt lift and throw being a big one .
Also have a Lithgow 101 in .22 , it's my favorite card splitting gun.

skwerl
skwerl101
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by wildcard6 » 05 Dec 2019, 8:18 pm

An update on my CZ457 Varmint. The trigger adjustment built in to the trigger is typical of these things. It allows you to adjust down from really heavy to less heavy [but still heavy!]. I bought a YODAVE spring kit that cost $36.25 AUD delivered, which seems like a lot to pay for a tiny spring and a block of white plastic with a hole drilled in to it. You don't even get instructions these days, but they are available on-line. The results though are definitely worth the money, with the trigger now down to around 1.5 lbs and still very crisp - I love it.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by hsv4me » 15 Dec 2019, 6:35 am

I have a 457 MTR 22lr on order. Has been for two months . Could be another 2. Apparently demand is more than supply. So hopefully it will shoot good as well .
hsv4me
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 15 Dec 2019, 5:51 pm

If you were at the SSAA Melbourne shot show, Winchester stand had two lovely ladies from CZ and a few deano rifles to hold and even dry fire. Also you could put money down and be assured that your order will be delivered in their first shipment (as there is a chance the current backorders might not all be fulfilled in the first delivery) and the price was lot cheaper than RRP as well.

Only thing is... it could be here in January next year... Or June no idea at that time.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Concorde » 19 Aug 2020, 8:22 am

I just took my 457 "At One" model to the range for the first time yesterday. I tried 5 different types of ammunition, but it liked the Eley black box and Lapua Midas + best. I'm happy with it out of the box, but I still plan to bed pillar-and-glass bed the action. These were at 50 yards.

IMG_8880.JPG
IMG_8880.JPG (83.77 KiB) Viewed 3852 times

IMG_8884.JPG
IMG_8884.JPG (85.13 KiB) Viewed 3852 times
Concorde
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Aug 2020, 6:36 am

Was there a scope adjustment between Lapua Midas groups ? Beautiful grouping on the left, shooting low and right but then, next group is left and no where near as tight ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 20 Aug 2020, 9:19 am

im thinking of getting a cz515 and will be hoping for good accuracy out of federal high velocity bulk pack ammo and cci standard as I already have a heap of these due to my Ruger loving them. good write up btw.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Concorde » 20 Aug 2020, 9:46 am

TassieTiger wrote:Was there a scope adjustment between Lapua Midas groups ? Beautiful grouping on the left, shooting low and right but then, next group is left and no where near as tight ?

Yes, I did adjust (over-adjust) the scope, but of course shot all 5 within a group without further adjustment. In that group on the right, there are 4 shots really tight... that one shot just dropped a bit, but wind had picked up too.

I shot a few more groups of the Midas, and the all measured like the one on the right.... never as tight as that first group, but usually just one shot out. I’m hoping that after bedding it will get even better.
Concorde
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles