Lithgow LA101 - Misfired on first shot

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Lithgow LA101 - Misfired on first shot

Post by michael_sa » 10 Jan 2020, 8:41 pm

Wapiti wrote:Thanks Michael.
Still to me though, an extra 0.25 to ensure you don't have ignition issues... makes me wonder about all the other owners with whatever they deem is standard acceptable protrusion... anyway it is what it is.

Yeah I hear you,
Like most of what was done to it was conveyed to me as if it didn't really have a problem, the 'tone' of the contact was that it's problems were either the user or that I hadn't found the right ammo.
- I know I cant really justify that comment without pasting all the emails I had to and from them, but there certainly was the inference that we've (Lithgow) changed this and replaced that - as a "...goodfaith gesture" (their wording in relation to the barrel replacement) - I did find this a little patronising. If it's up to your standard, then you don't change it... so if you have changed a component or performed some remedial work on something, then that to me infers you found a fault or saw something that wasn't up to scratch in the first place.
Anyway, happy to wear that little bit of condescension. :silent:
Bottom line is, this post shouldn't and wouldn't exist if the gun was delivered to me in a different state than it was.
Getting back into it...

Lithgow LA101 .22RF. Hawke Vantage 6-24x44SF

In a previous life:
Winchester Model 70XTR .243W Weaver K6
Franchi 520 12GA
Ruger 10/22 Sporter
Beretta 76 .22LR
S&W 686 .357 (x2)

On the contemplation list: Beretta 87
michael_sa
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by GCol » 29 Mar 2020, 5:31 pm

Hi All
I have just fired Lithgow for the first time this week end and had around a third fail to fire, this was with three different types of ammo. It looks like it just didn't hit the cartridge hard enough, certainly the indentation is much shallower than any other 22 I have owned. So back it goes for repair.
GCol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GCol » 29 Mar 2020, 6:00 pm

Hi All
I have just fired Lithgow for the first time this weekend and had around a third fail to fire, this was with three different types of ammo. It looks like it just didn't hit the cartridge hard enough, certainly the indentation is much shallower than any other 22 I have owned. So back it goes for repair.
GCol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by michael_sa » 05 Jun 2020, 8:04 pm

GCol wrote:Hi All
I have just fired Lithgow for the first time this week end and had around a third fail to fire, this was with three different types of ammo. It looks like it just didn't hit the cartridge hard enough, certainly the indentation is much shallower than any other 22 I have owned. So back it goes for repair.

Hi GCol,
Sorry for the late reply, but I've only just seen your post.
What has been the outcome?
Regards,
Michael
Getting back into it...

Lithgow LA101 .22RF. Hawke Vantage 6-24x44SF

In a previous life:
Winchester Model 70XTR .243W Weaver K6
Franchi 520 12GA
Ruger 10/22 Sporter
Beretta 76 .22LR
S&W 686 .357 (x2)

On the contemplation list: Beretta 87
michael_sa
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by GCol » 06 Jan 2021, 7:53 am

I have just realised that I forgot to close out on my miss firing issue. I returned my rifle to the LGS I purchased it from and they sent it back to Lithgow to take a look at it. A couple of weeks later it was returned with a note saying they replaced the firing pins and spring and that it tested ok. Since then no miss fires and I have a rifle that I am very pleased with as it now shoots very well.
GCol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 06 Jan 2021, 8:22 am

Glad to hear it is all sorted mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 06 Jan 2021, 9:43 am

Hi guys. It’s sad to read posts such as these as I know how frustrating it can be when you anxiously await a new product only to find it’s faulty and then have to wait again for repair. I suppose every manufacturer would have a number of faulty products from new and generally you only hear about the bad experiences. Michael, whilst it seems you are not too fond of Lithgow, do you think the gun shop has played a part in it? Is it possible that some damage was caused from mounting the scope? I wonder if LA were not as helpful because some of the damage was not entirely their doing and some of the responsibility was shared between them and your lgs? Also concerned now that when I soon take delivery of a new CZ that my LGS will cause damage mounting the scope. Anyway, good to hear it’s now functioning and finished much better.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 14 Jan 2021, 1:51 pm

+1 on the finish on the bolt face. That's about as rough as it gets. Hopefully the clean you did resolves the issue.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 16 Jan 2021, 9:57 am

I am not impressed with Lithgow's design features . That's real rough looking machining . This company has a lot to learn about making good guns . Would not swap my Brno or Anschutz for two Lithgow's . Fixing a brand new product instead of just sending you another new gun is a poor attitude towards the customer . I can get a better warranty on a $10 toaster at K Mart .
Nose of the firing pin is too wide and too sharp on the leading edges and there could be rubbish or burrs inside the firing pin cavity , slowing it down and or a weak spring . You only need .035 protrusion and a .050 to .060 wide face .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by allan » 16 Jan 2021, 11:22 am

I'd have to respectfully disagree - Any mass produced item can turn out to be a dud occasionally.
I own multiple models of Anschutz, Weihrauch, Walther, Cooper 57M, Bergara B14R & Vudoo V22.
I also own a couple of LA101's.
If I had to keep just two, it would be the Lithgows!
Yes, they need a fully adjustable trigger and a dedicated bolt stop but I guess that would bump up the price considerably.
Your comments on the firing pin protrusion & strike are spot on. However, I've not modified either of my LA101's and the Maddco barrelled version is the most consistently accurate 22LR I've ever owned.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by JohnV » 16 Jan 2021, 3:18 pm

The more I look at the way they are made the less I like them . Everybody has their own opinion . So you spent another grand on a Madco barrel to get it shooting well .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by deye243 » 16 Jan 2021, 6:51 pm

JohnV wrote:The more I look at the way they are made the less I like them . Everybody has their own opinion . So you spent another grand on a Madco barrel to get it shooting well .

If you seen how Allan's 101 maddco shot you would know why he did it .
To find a factory rifle that shoots like it does would be a very rare thing .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by allan » 16 Jan 2021, 8:31 pm

JohnV wrote: So you spent another grand on a Madco barrel to get it shooting well .

It shot just fine before the barrel replacement. I thought these actions had potential so decided to try a few up-grades. The second LA101 is an unmodified rifle and will run with the two 1710 DHB's I have.
Here are two 10 round groups fired simultaneously by two shooters - 50 metres outdoors. These were the first shots fired after an extended range closure due to Covid - Both these rifles consistently shoot like that given proven lot numbers of ammo and favourable conditions.
I'm the first to agree that rifles like Michael's should NEVER have left the factory but these things happen regardless of manufacturer.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Peter988 » 17 Jan 2021, 10:48 am

Gee that’s impressive. The only time I shoot paper is sighting in when I am out hunting. My 1970 Winchester with the old fixed 4 power scope doesn’t quite do that lol.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2021, 12:54 pm

Peter988 wrote:Gee that’s impressive. The only time I shoot paper is sighting in when I am out hunting. My 1970 Winchester with the old fixed 4 power scope doesn’t quite do that lol.

Agree, excellent
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles