Pellet sizers?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Pellet sizers?

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2019, 6:33 pm

I've been looking at pellet sizers.
But I haven't found anything regarding how to determine which size you want to order.
I'm assuming it's geared toward match pellets which are available in a range of sizes, so do I just order a range of pellet sizes, test shoot them all to find which my rifles prefer, then order a sizer of that size? Or do I order over-size pellets and run them through a sizer to make them the size my rifle prefers?

I'm happy to push some slugs through the barrel if measuring them gives me the info I need, but I can't find anything telling me what such a measurement actually means to me. Do I want pellets that match groove diameter, or a thou or two over that (like bullets), or even under-size?

I haven't tried making my own sizers yet as .177" is pretty small for precise honing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Pellet sizers?

Post by No1_49er » 07 Nov 2019, 7:55 pm

That's why Eley, H&N etc. produce pellets in 4.49mm, 4.5mm and 4.51mm. Try them and see which your rifle shoots best.
After that, why resize them?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Pellet sizers?

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2019, 9:01 pm

No1_49er wrote:That's why Eley, H&N etc. produce pellets in 4.49mm, 4.5mm and 4.51mm. Try them and see which your rifle shoots best.
After that, why resize them?

I believe it's to improve the shape of the skirt primarily?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles