FX or Styer?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

FX or Styer?

Post by ScottyD » 10 Nov 2019, 12:10 am

Whilst I'm waiting for my licence, I'm trying to decide which way would be best air rifle to go for.

It'll be mostly for competition (maybe including indoor) as well as some pest control around the property and in the shed. I was initially thinking about getting a decent underlever to start with, but I've since been talked out of that and now reckon it'll be a high quality PCP. I've been ploughing through various sites and magazines and think I'm narrowing down to two possibilities, and would appreciate any comments, observations and/or suggestions.

First is the Styer LG110, which I think would be a standout range competition rifle. The other is an FX Impact, which by all accounts I've read/seen is supposed to be insanely good rifle with almost infinite adjustability/adaptability (I handled an FX Gladiator a couple years ago and it felt & looked fantastic)
Also considering the FX Crown, which seems to be a rifle version of the Impact if I'm not mistaken.

I had a bit of a shoot of an Anshutz air rifle which belonged to a very decent bloke at the local smallbore & air rifle club a few weeks ago. His set up was incredible (and expensive), it was so precise :geek: The rifle itself was somewhat skeletonised though (apparently so as to be able to shoot Light Varmint), and I thought something like that might be perfect for solely target work but maybe not so much for hunting/pesting around the place. :problem:

Anyway, please bathe me in your wisdom :wtf:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: FX or Styer?

Post by Strikey » 10 Nov 2019, 6:32 am

If you are going top shelf and will be shooting comps, guessing Air Rifle BR, get the Steyr.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ScottyD » 11 Nov 2019, 2:01 am

Strikey wrote:If you are going top shelf and will be shooting comps, guessing Air Rifle BR, get the Steyr.

Thanks for that Strikey

I'm planning on doing a fair of competition/ general target shooting, but I'll also be doing some pesting around the place as well.

Would you say Styer 's quality is significantly superior to FX's? Say good enough to offset FX's flexibility/adjustability to shoot various calibres/pressures/etc.?

Reckon there could be other considerations I'm not aware/thinking of yet?
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Nov 2019, 7:03 am

I enjoy watching YouTuber Matt Gruber from Air Arms SA. He reviews several high end air rifles plus he is very entertaining and you learn a bit about South Africa along the way.

What do you think of Anschutz rifles?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 12 Nov 2019, 8:15 am

SCJ429 wrote:I enjoy watching YouTuber Matt Gruber from Air Arms SA. He reviews several high end air rifles plus he is very entertaining and you learn a bit about South Africa along the way.

What do you think of Anschutz rifles?

Yeah I really like his channel, learned heaps there. He certainly recommends FX, especially the Impact.

That Anshutz that I shot was amazing, just oozes quality. It was very precise
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Nov 2019, 7:23 pm

I used a 1413 Anschutz rimfire in competition years ago, I think I will have to get another Anschutz someday.

I don't know anything about Anschutz air rifles but they look lovely.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Nov 2019, 10:05 am

This one is relatively inexpensive. Looks pretty.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=160988
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 26 Nov 2019, 12:34 am

SCJ429 wrote:This one is relatively inexpensive. Looks pretty.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=160988

Very cool, thanks for that. Good site too, I think I'll be cruising through it regularly while I wait for my licence 8-)
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles