Custom Savage Mkii 22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Custom Savage Mkii 22lr

Post by Goshawk » 18 Nov 2019, 4:33 pm

Hi all,
Has anyone here customized their savage mkii 22lr?
Eg: chassis, new barrel

Im considering getting a Allan Swan barrel on my mkii FV-SR with a match chamber.
Is it worth it?

I have had this little rifle forever and it has knocked over hundreds of rabbits and foxes. It currently sits in a boyds varmint pro stock but i am considering upgrading it again with the new MDT Lss-rf chassis so i could use it as a cheap trainer (i have the mdt ess chassis on a howa)

Whats everyone's thoughts?

Cheers
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Custom Savage Mkii 22lr

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Nov 2019, 6:00 pm

A match grade barrel will improve your Savage no end and with your chassis your rifle will owe you over $2,000. This is halfway to an Anschutz 2013 in a Precise stock, which is a nice bit of kit and a million miles better than any Savage.

Just a thought.
Last edited by SCJ429 on 18 Nov 2019, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 18 Nov 2019, 6:01 pm

Does it need a new a barrel? What sort of accuracy does it have now and what are your expectations. The Chassis are heavy something to really consider. I have the Mk 2 MDT and it requires really thinking about your hold as it is easy to let your fingers touch the barrel. The updated design more expensive and heavier has a bit more on the sides of the for-end which helps keep fingers off the barrel.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by in2anity » 18 Nov 2019, 7:45 pm

Unless you are shooting competition benchrest or similar, no, it’s not worth it.

Save your custom barrel for a centerfire, where it can really shine. The 22lr is a hard gun to master - error stems from the shooter more than a flat laser gun.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 18 Nov 2019, 9:57 pm

Not directed at you Goshawk, But over capitalization is really easy to do with nearly any rifle. That is not necessarily a bad thing if you are making the rifle into something that you really like and intend to keep forever despite the cost, As in right from the beginning you are honest with yourself and think ok I can live with spending this money and never expect to get it back.

Unfortunately that is not the case with a lot of people and you can see it in the used guns adds where people are trying to sell rifles for more than they are currently worth or trying to get every dollar they ever spent on it back.

I have over capitalized quite a few of my rifles but I look at them as sunk costs and entertainment costs. A good example is the Howa I can buy a new barreled action for less than half the cost to put a new barrel on one. There a lots of little upgrades you can do to rifles new triggers gun smithing work like bushing firing pins ect.

I also see guns on used guns and think are those people crazy who would pay $7000 for that rifle. If I had that money I would buy blah, blah, blah.

There are many ways to get to the same point that is the thing that you need to stop and think about early in the piece. No one can really tell you was it worth it that is something that is up to you.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Goshawk » 19 Nov 2019, 7:03 am

sungazer wrote:Not directed at you Goshawk, But over capitalization is really easy to do with nearly any rifle. That is not necessarily a bad thing if you are making the rifle into something that you really like and intend to keep forever despite the cost, As in right from the beginning you are honest with yourself and think ok I can live with spending this money and never expect to get it back.

I have over capitalized quite a few of my rifles but I look at them as sunk costs and entertainment costs. A good example is the Howa I can buy a new barreled action for less than half the cost to put a new barrel on one. There a lots of little upgrades you can do to rifles new triggers gun smithing work like bushing firing pins ect.

There are many ways to get to the same point that is the thing that you need to stop and think about early in the piece. No one can really tell you was it worth it that is something that is up to you.

All good points Sungazer.
I completely understand with the howa builds. I have one myself. Built it up using minimal amount of $$$. It was me just exploring the 6.5 creedmoor fad (2nd hand chassis, $60 brake etc..... 0.4" average 5 shot groups).
I will be keeping the savage for my kids, it has been a great rifle and i don't mind spending $$$ on it.
I think i will still get the chassis as the boyds pro-varmint has cracked twice now. See if it improves the accuracy, if not, new barrel.
Bonus of the new chassis is it ability to accept 17hmr actions too.
received_478604166092513.jpeg
received_478604166092513.jpeg (142.54 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Goshawk » 19 Nov 2019, 7:05 am

The little savage at the moment
received_781644598930620.jpeg
received_781644598930620.jpeg (249.41 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Goshawk » 19 Nov 2019, 7:07 am

received_547983625995572.jpeg
received_547983625995572.jpeg (229.62 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
The cheap howa build. (Slow customization)
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by allan » 19 Nov 2019, 1:14 pm

Goshawk wrote:Hi all,
Has anyone here customized their savage mkii 22lr?

Is it worth it?

I have two full customs fitted with Maddcos & built around Mark II actions - Love 'em!!! (A nd I have the odd "high end" 22 with which to compare them.)
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Goshawk » 19 Nov 2019, 2:20 pm

Is it worth it?
[/quote]
I have two full customs fitted with Maddcos & built around Mark II actions - Love 'em!!! (A nd I have the odd "high end" 22 with which to compare them.)[/quote]

Pictures please!
They shoot well? Did you have anything else done to them?
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by allan » 19 Nov 2019, 4:19 pm

Goshawk wrote:Is it worth it?

Pictures please!
They shoot well? Did you have anything else done to them?[/quote]
Sorry, mate - I'm inter-state at the moment - No access to my PC files - Hopefully home next week & can post some interesting links for you then. Both these rifles have been comprehensively re-built - About the only thing original on them are the serial numbers.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Goshawk » 20 Nov 2019, 6:25 am

Hopefully home next week & can post some interesting links for you then. Both these rifles have been comprehensively re-built - About the only thing original on them are the serial numbers.[/quote]

Im really interested in seeing what you have done with your Mkii 's. Especially what you have done with the bolt and triggers.
I have lightened mine, that's about it.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by allan » 27 Nov 2019, 2:36 pm

Goshawk:
As promised, here is some info. on the various mods & capabilities of the two Mark II's I currently have here.
I build 22's purely for my own enjoyment and am not concerned with re-sale values. It doesn't matter whether you choose a Savage or a Stiller action to throw money at, they all consume it at an alarming rate.
Be aware that builds like this are usually limited to the use of good quality ammunition and you will have any number of issues with "bulk" cheap stuff.
Few match chambered 22 repeaters will reliably extract a live round which makes them risky as a hunting rifle.
Having said that, both these feed, extract and eject spent cases perfectly and I don't recall any serious malfunctions in the 12,825 rounds they have consumed. Initially, I was concerned about the durability of these actions but they are both holding up well.
Headspace & ignition have been carefully addressed, triggers modified and all bolt components polished.
Accuracy wise, the HB was the most consistently accurate 22 I had here for several years but Lithgow & Weihrauch builds I have since done will outshoot it. The little sporter is nothing special. Very ammo picky and about on a par with any decent 64 actioned sporter I've owned. I wouldn't feel confident shooting against a good MPR or SBR Anschutz though.
These rifles were built by Rob Blomfield (Sunshine Coast Gunsmithing) and Lee Trengove (Trentech Carina).
Have a look at these RFC links for some detailed information:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... p?t=427320
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... p?t=507334
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... p?t=558788
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Goshawk » 02 Dec 2019, 6:41 pm

Allan.
Thats a fair bit of customization for a Mark-ii!
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Shootermick » 02 Dec 2019, 6:58 pm

I’ve got a Savage B22 FV SS. It’s a good 22, but the only thing with it was that it was a 21” heavy barrel, and while it shot well, it was a bit too front heavy and sometimes a bit awkward to point out the ute window. I enquired about having the barrel shortened to 16” and was told that it’s only a Savage and really worth spending the extra bucks on. So I did it anyway, only cost $150 and they did a great job, recrowned and all. Still shoots just as good as it did before. Did I waste $150? Not on my opinion, maybe in someone else’s, but just do what makes you happy! Guns are a hobby after all.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 02 Dec 2019, 7:26 pm

Thats some mighty fine shooting and the groups not only show how well the gun can perform but also the shooters. Never know I may see you on the small bore range one day.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles