Barrel Tuner Australia

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Barrel Tuner Australia

Post by Goshawk » 21 Nov 2019, 10:44 am

Hi all,
Are barrel tuners worth the cost?
What is a decent Australian made (or available in Oz) barrel tuner?
Pretty sure i could machine one easy enough, not sure if its worth the effort.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Barrel Tuner Australia

Post by No1_49er » 21 Nov 2019, 1:16 pm

S.A Rifle Assn. shop
BRT in Brisbane
There will be others
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by allan » 21 Nov 2019, 5:38 pm

You need a carefully tuned & accurate rifle to start with plus known good lot numbers of match grade ammo before you will gain any benefit from a tuner I M O...Huntsman & Lowey are locals who make quality tuners. While I do try to wring out the best accuracy from my 22's (and I do own a couple of tuners), I'm happy to leave the frustration of "tuning" the tuner to the dedicated BR guys!

allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Nov 2019, 8:30 pm

What degree of accuracy are you looking for? What rifle would you fit it to?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 22 Nov 2019, 6:34 am

Allan has hit the nail on the head. You have do be really confident and already very consistent with your group size and shape, before it is worth considering a tuner. Just learning how to adjust a tuner and get something from it, is a whole new learning challenge that is really only achieved over time by experience.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by in2anity » 22 Nov 2019, 7:40 am

I presume this is for the custom savage mkii you're hoping to put an aftermarket barrel on? So riddle me this batman, what sized groups are you consistently achieving? Also what ammo are you consistently expending?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Nov 2019, 1:56 pm

I do always wonder if a barrel tuner could make my norinco shooting Remington can of bullets, shoot 0.5MOA at 100m?

Legit question.. hypothetical
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 22 Nov 2019, 3:42 pm

Ziad wrote:I do always wonder if a barrel tuner could make my norinco shooting Remington can of bullets, shoot 0.5MOA at 100m?

Legit question.. hypothetical

I doubt it’s possible. For one, the ammo is too cheap and inconsistent. With the 22lr 1moa at 50m doesn’t really scale to 1moa at 100m. And then there’s the wind factor - even a breath of wind sees the 22lr blow out past 1moa at 100m.

Even in a windless environment I think you’d have to be shooting expensive ammo to see it consistently holding under a 1moa group.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Goshawk » 22 Nov 2019, 3:47 pm

in2anity wrote:I presume this is for the custom savage mkii you're hoping to put an aftermarket barrel on? So riddle me this batman, what sized groups are you consistently achieving? Also what ammo are you consistently expending?

With SK match and Eley its between 0.4 and 0.7 at 50m. Probably better without me behind the trigger.
Im going to play around with torque settings once this bloody hot wind weather disappears.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 22 Nov 2019, 3:54 pm

in2anity wrote:I doubt it’s possible. For one, the ammo is too cheap and inconsistent. With the 22lr 1moa at 50m doesn’t really scale to 1moa at 100m. And then there’s the wind factor - even a breath of wind sees the 22lr blow out past 1moa at 100m.

Even in a windless environment I think you’d have to be shooting expensive ammo to see it consistently holding under a 1moa group.

I do an awful lot of .22LR shooting at 100m. Wind doesn't make the groups any bigger unless it is gusting or swirling about, it just moves the group off point of aim. Seven minutes of wind is not unusual here with .22LR, but I can still consistently keep ten shots inside 30mm at 100m without too much effort. But not with the Bucket o' Bullets. Batching by rim thickness can halve the group size of the really cheap ammo though, and running them through a bullet sizer/pointer would likely improve them further, but they still wouldn't be as consistent as CCI Std Velocity.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 Nov 2019, 3:57 pm

With my Anschutz 1750 I can get pretty consistent under a MOA at 100 and much better at 50. Certainly a barrel tuner is a normal piece of equipment in the Small bore (22LR) 50 yrd bench rest competitions. All those competitors cant be wrong. Certainly the guys I have talked to swear by them. In comps they use the expensive ammo too. The SK Rifle type quality is commonly used as practice ammo.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by in2anity » 22 Nov 2019, 5:31 pm

sungazer wrote:With my Anschutz 1750 I can get pretty consistent under a MOA at 100 and much better at 50. Certainly a barrel tuner is a normal piece of equipment in the Small bore (22LR) 50 yrd bench rest competitions. All those competitors cant be wrong. Certainly the guys I have talked to swear by them. In comps they use the expensive ammo too. The SK Rifle type quality is commonly used as practice ammo.

They’re a 54 action aren’t they? Well that’s what you get for a $3000ish rifle. Bit of a difference between that and the humble Savage... I’m not arguing that a tuner won’t make a difference - I’m just saying it’s something relevant only at the pointy end of the spectrum... where the gun is top-class, and the ammo is top-class.

BTW OP don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to tell you how to spend your money mate. If you wanna buy a custom barrel + tuner then go for it. You’ll probably indeed see your groups come in a bit.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Nov 2019, 6:53 pm

Buy this Anschutz and sell the Savage. Don't try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=161442

Then buy some Eley Match and marvel at your shooting ability.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Nov 2019, 10:46 pm

Lol true.

But I seem some older ones go for around 1k mark. Saw a sbr for 1100, another mpr for 1250. They would still be lot better than the savage.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 Nov 2019, 6:58 am

SCJ429 wrote:Buy this Anschutz and sell the Savage. Don't try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=161442

Then buy some Eley Match and marvel at your shooting ability.

Spot on. Buy once, cry once.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 23 Nov 2019, 8:00 pm

No1_49er wrote:S.A Rifle Assn. shop
BRT in Brisbane
There will be others

I once bought a box of 155 gn .308 Bergers from the SA Rifle Association shop, arrived with the seal broken and full of blem / weight sorted bullets, I would not piss on them if they were on fire.
BRT are exactly the opposite IME, good folks.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2019, 8:23 pm

Tiger650 wrote:I once bought a box of 155 gn .308 Bergers from the SA Rifle Association shop, arrived with the seal broken and full of blem / weight sorted bullets, I would not piss on them if they were on fire.
BRT are exactly the opposite IME, good folks.

Wouldn't weight-batched bullets be a good thing to find?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Nov 2019, 9:02 am

I think he is saying that someone opened them up and batched them. He is left with the ones that are too heavy or too light.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 25 Nov 2019, 6:51 am

Barrel tuners are pretty 'old tech'.
They have been around in one form or another since at least the 1940's and have had their occasional periods of popularity with target shooters.
Some shooters love them while other shooters think they are a useless appendage to a rifle.
I think it's time for something new, something like Peter Brock's energy polarizer attached to your barrel which will "align the molecules" of your barrel thereby making it shoot straighter and sweeter and make your cartridge more powder efficient.
And remember it was invented here in Australia!
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 25 Nov 2019, 7:04 am

The issue as the way I see it, Is that by placing a barrel tuner at the end of your barrel or even a magneto speed. It add weight and changes both the balance point of your rifle and in turn and byitself will change the natural jump of the rifle.

So as soon as one is put on it makes a change. From that point on if the change can be controlled is where the unknown starts can they be used to get repeatable results? what if the load goes out of tune during a comp do you know how to adjust the barrel tuner to get the rifle back in tune?

One of the other effects that I am a believer of is that a barrel tuner can change your crown. It becomes an extension of your crown. IMO setting up a repeatable and even pressure wave around the bullet as it leaves the barrel is also a phenomena that sets your bullet on the right path to accuracy.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles