Shooting air rifle in the garage

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Shooting air rifle in the garage

Post by Dabi » 05 Dec 2019, 11:59 pm

Hey people, from what I've seen shooting your air guns in your yard is usually a bad idea, but what about in your own garage with doors closed? Say if you have a good backstop and a quiet gun are you able to do it?
large capacity fully auto military style assault flintlock
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Shooting air rifle in the garage

Post by bladeracer » 06 Dec 2019, 12:07 am

Dabi wrote:Hey people, from what I've seen shooting your air guns in your yard is usually a bad idea, but what about in your own garage with doors closed? Say if you have a good backstop and a quiet gun are you able to do it?

As long as you live in a rural zone. In a built-up area there is no distinction between discharging a firearm indoors or out, the crime is the same, and certainly not worth it just for an air-rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 06 Dec 2019, 3:39 pm

Yes in this retarded country an air rifle , pistol , are classed as a firearm so it's not worth the risk of losing everything you own for at least 5 years ......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Dec 2019, 3:53 pm

deye243 wrote:Yes in this retarded country an air rifle , pistol , are classed as a firearm so it's not worth the risk of losing everything you own for at least 5 years ......

Yep, and yet we still get morons in here telling people to do whatever they want, the laws don't matter...and when that advice leads to another firearm owner being convicted of an offence they whine that "they're all against us" :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 06 Dec 2019, 5:20 pm

Should u decide to break the law. First ensure a ridiculously extra safe backstop , and ensure that nobody or pets can walk into your line of fire while your peripheral vision is zero due to looking thru a scope ......and Metallica on the stereo at full volume
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Dabi » 06 Dec 2019, 5:47 pm

Blr243 wrote:Should u decide to break the law. First ensure a ridiculously extra safe backstop , and ensure that nobody or pets can walk into your line of fire while your peripheral vision is zero due to looking thru a scope ......and Metallica on the stereo at full volume

The reason is that I want to experiment with some homemade pellets and "muzzle devices" that I designed and made using a 3d printer, it's much more convenient to just test them out when I want to then drive an hour and half into a state forest.
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Dec 2019, 6:57 pm

Dabi wrote:The reason is that I want to experiment with some homemade pellets and "muzzle devices" that I designed and made using a 3d printer, it's much more convenient to just test them out when I want to then drive an hour and half into a state forest.

"Reasons" don't change the firearms laws.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GojiraSteve » 06 Dec 2019, 10:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:"Reasons" don't change the firearms laws.

Nope. Not the laws on discharging firearms, nor the ones on prohibited "muzzle devices". but then i'm sure he's just talking about innovative new brake designs. Gawd knows the kick off a .177 springer could just about take a feller's arm off hey? :problem:
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 06 Dec 2019, 10:47 pm

Their called air strippers do some research they aid accuracy
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GojiraSteve » 06 Dec 2019, 11:17 pm

Do they? My research suggests the jury's still out...

https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/featur ... effective/

"Over the years, many inconclusive tests have been carried out regarding how effective the humble air stripper in its many designs and formats actually is. It is very often the case that little, if any actual evidence exists to support the case one way or the other."

Nevertheless, I'll admit my comment was based on some assumptions, namely that the OP's two stated options for a testing venue were a state forest, and a garage. No mention of attending an actual range. A place high level target air rifle blokes (ie 99% of the people who could actually see an accuracy gain from a stripper) tend not to be a stranger to.
Apologies if I've missed the mark, and the OP is in fact a highly experienced crack shot who just happened to miss the memo on where it is permissable to fire a pellet gun, and so unsure of the logistics of circumventing such regulations that he had to ask a bunch of strangers on an internet forum.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Dec 2019, 6:04 am

Laws are laws . Owning firearms in Australia is a privilege, not a civil right like in America. I definitely wouldn’t be posting about breaking the law on a open forum that has been probably trolled by “anti’s “ either. Everyone knows what a air rifle is or isn’t capable of , and that proper safety and prevention measures would make it hypothetically reasonable to fire in a garage . Even so, I won’t advise you on a public forum to break firearms laws

Good luck and play safe :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Dabi » 07 Dec 2019, 10:51 am

I never suggested I will break the law, I'm only asking if this is doable and legal. And GojiraSteve, in Vic we can shoot in the state forest, just for hunting purposes.
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Dabi » 07 Dec 2019, 10:53 am

I mean you wouldn't wanna bring some wack build to the range and get yelled at by the range officers for unsafe practices, as stated by them.
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2019, 11:35 am

Dabi wrote:I never suggested I will break the law, I'm only asking if this is doable and legal. And GojiraSteve, in Vic we can shoot in the state forest, just for hunting purposes.

It is certainly doable, it is equally-certainly illegal outside of rural zoning.
You can shoot in state forest even for non-hunting purposes, though I don't recommend getting carried away with plinking - it is publically-accessible after all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dabi » 07 Dec 2019, 12:03 pm

It is certainly doable, it is equally-certainly illegal outside of rural zoning.
You can shoot in state forest even for non-hunting purposes, though I don't recommend getting carried away with plinking - it is publically-accessible after all.[/quote]

Yeah I might just end up driving to a SF instead to avoid any legal issues.
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Dabi » 07 Dec 2019, 12:04 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I might just play it safe. :)
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Dec 2019, 12:25 pm

Dabi wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, I might just play it safe. :)

Safe is the best way to play mate . If in doubt, go with the safest option . You wouldn’t want to lose your firearms license and have your guns confiscated. Some indoor pistol ranges will permit 22lr and air rifles to be fired at them . Might be worth looking into, and there’s no wind to worry about. Just a thought
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Dec 2019, 4:58 pm

l'm old enough to remember when every kid (except me) owned a slug gun and shot it in the backyard
the problem these days is the air rifles can be very powerful but the older slug guns would cause ricochets off tin and wooden fences, now they can go through
l remember an italian mate who shot starlings for his grandmother to eat, apparently they are a delicacy in italy
how things have changed, feeling old at the moment :lol: l'm sure you will work it out Dabi :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2019, 6:07 pm

marksman wrote:l'm old enough to remember when every kid (except me) owned a slug gun and shot it in the backyard
the problem these days is the air rifles can be very powerful but the older slug guns would cause ricochets off tin and wooden fences, now they can go through
l remember an italian mate who shot starlings for his grandmother to eat, apparently they are a delicacy in italy
how things have changed, feeling old at the moment :lol: l'm sure you will work it out Dabi :thumbsup:

My first licence was for an air-rifle when I was a kid. I was shooting with PCYC every week and nobody ever said anything about not being able to use it at home, not when applying for the licence, not when I bought the rifle, and not while competing with it every week. Most days I'd be in the back yard practicing with it after school. I was also shooting smallbore with Army Cadets, and I was certainly aware of the restrictions on where you could shoot .22LR, although we were shooting on a school oval, in the city, directly at a main road on the other side of our back stop. I don't think it ever occurred to any of us that it was a problem, although I'm sure the blokes in charge were having kittens the whole time :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 23 Dec 2019, 1:34 pm

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, we live on a small rural zoned property in QLD so I am able to fire air rifles and even 'real' firearms in the back yard.
The garage is too small but we have an otherwise unused tennis court that came with the property so I have a 25m test area along one side with a very substantial backstop and earth bank behind that.

There's no line of sight to any neigbour from that area (nearest is about 200m away) but I've also constructed a giant 'suppressor' in the form of a 1m wide, 2m high and 5m long tunnel using concrete blocks and rubber mats that is located at the firing line so the muzzle of the gun goes into it when fired, it works so well that the noise of the projectile hitting the backstop is much louder than the gun itself with any 22LR subsonic ammunition.

If we weren't zoned rural it would be range use only though, despite the very low risk of getting caught it's just not worth the risk of losing everything and the bad publicity and potential harm to legal firearm ownership that could affect us all.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nigel » 24 Dec 2019, 12:29 am

bladeracer wrote:As long as you live in a rural zone. In a built-up area there is no distinction between discharging a firearm indoors or out, the crime is the same, and certainly not worth it just for an air-rifle.

What law makes it a crime to discharge a firearm other than in a "rural zone"?

I am aware that the Victorian Firearms Act previously provided that it was an offence to "use a firearm in a town or populous place". That provision (section 130) was amended last year and now states that it is an offence to use a firearm "in a public place or in any other place with reckless disregard for the safety of any person".

The definition of public place used is from the Summary Offences Act and does not include private property. Use of an air rifle in a garage would therefor not constitute a section 130 offence unless it was done with reckless disregard for safety.

Is there some other legal provision that makes OP's proposed usage an offence irrespective of the circumstances?
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2019, 2:43 am

Nigel wrote:What law makes it a crime to discharge a firearm other than in a "rural zone"?

I am aware that the Victorian Firearms Act previously provided that it was an offence to "use a firearm in a town or populous place". That provision (section 130) was amended last year and now states that it is an offence to use a firearm "in a public place or in any other place with reckless disregard for the safety of any person".

The definition of public place used is from the Summary Offences Act and does not include private property. Use of an air rifle in a garage would therefor not constitute a section 130 offence unless it was done with reckless disregard for safety.

Is there some other legal provision that makes OP's proposed usage an offence irrespective of the circumstances?

While private property is not a public place, it is certainly "any other place". I have shot smallbore rifles within a school boundary in a city, and I know of a smallbore range situated in the middle of a town, so it must be possible to get around it, if you can prevent pellets or bullets from leaving the property. Perhaps you should put your question to the Police or a lawyer?

I would expect the charge to be exactly that, discharging a firearm with reckless disregard for the safety of other people. If you really want to spend your time and money fighting that in court that's your prerogative. I recall when that change was first proposed there was a stink because state forest is a public place as well. It's unlikely to become a court matter until a pellet manages to exit the property.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2019, 2:52 am

rc42 wrote:Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, we live on a small rural zoned property in QLD so I am able to fire air rifles and even 'real' firearms in the back yard.
The garage is too small but we have an otherwise unused tennis court that came with the property so I have a 25m test area along one side with a very substantial backstop and earth bank behind that.

There's no line of sight to any neigbour from that area (nearest is about 200m away) but I've also constructed a giant 'suppressor' in the form of a 1m wide, 2m high and 5m long tunnel using concrete blocks and rubber mats that is located at the firing line so the muzzle of the gun goes into it when fired, it works so well that the noise of the projectile hitting the backstop is much louder than the gun itself with any 22LR subsonic ammunition.

If we weren't zoned rural it would be range use only though, despite the very low risk of getting caught it's just not worth the risk of losing everything and the bad publicity and potential harm to legal firearm ownership that could affect us all.

Building such a thing could be argued to be "a device designed to reduce the report of a firearm", even though it's not attached to the firearm. It could also be considered a permanent shooting range if it's not portable. I have considered building something similar for load development but it's a grey area I'm unwilling to venture into without the okay of the authorities.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 24 Dec 2019, 5:11 am

rc42 wrote:Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, we live on a small rural zoned property in QLD so I am able to fire air rifles and even 'real' firearms in the back yard.

bladeracer wrote:"Building such a thing could be argued to be "a device designed to reduce the report of a firearm", even though it's not attached to the firearm. It could also be considered a permanent shooting range if it's not portable. I have considered building something similar for load development but it's a grey area I'm unwilling to venture into without the okay of the authorities."
Indeed, this so, and the reason why you don't see firing lines looking like this at any clubs up here;
sup3.jpg
sup3.jpg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 5346 times

In fact, it could be argued that indoor ranges fall foul of the very broad definition of a silencer in the QLD Weapons Categories Regulation 1997.
"(h) a silencer or other device or contrivance made or used,
or capable of being used or intended to be used, for
reducing the sound caused by discharging a firearm;"
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 24 Dec 2019, 6:39 pm

Actually my 'shooting line structure' or whatever it should be called is technically portable and certainly a temporary structure, it's well over a hundred concrete blocks from Bunnings, 390x190.190 each with just gravity and friction supporting the walls, thick rubber play area mats line it but are attached by removable clips.

It's main purpose is to limit the arc of movement available to the loaded firearm to an area covered by a substantial backstop, much like those giant blue barrels would in the picture, it also reduces noise to the sides (but not to the rear or front) in a similar way to a building or bank of soil or even trees if there were enough, I don't think that any reasonable interpretation of the law could class it or any of those as a 'device' or 'contrivance' and importantly, it doesn't reduce the actual noise at the muzzle which is by definition the 'sound caused by discharging the firearm'

As far as I can determine operating a 'range' is different to personal recreational shooting in the same place on your rural property with the difference largely being when other are also shooting there, especially if it is a paid service or a club.

Unfortunately, much of firearm legislation seems to have been written by people with poor understanding of firearms and they couldn't possibly cover every scenario so some of the wording ends up vague and open to interpretation. A key part of firearm ownership and use is knowing where your activities are going into those grey areas and understand the risks and your legal position if you are challenged on it.

It's a shame really that trying to enjoy your hobby in a safe place and reduce noise and nuisance for your neighbours is fraught with such risks.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2019, 7:14 pm

I agree with you, but I have so much of myself invested in my firearms and shooting, which I can only enjoy by asking the authorities to allow me to, for which pleasure they require me to comply with some very complicated, convoluted, and often contradictory regulations. They then add to those the caveat that even if I follow all those laws to the letter, they can still choose to revoke my licence for whatever reason they see fit. I have no control over the whim of the authorities, so I can only do what I can to try to follow the laws.

When it comes to noise reduction I try to use the environment and avoid having to fabricate anything for that purpose, mainly because I dislike feeling like I need to conceal my legal recreational activities from the general public simply because they choose not to accept my choices, but also because I think the laws are written with the intent of being open to interpretation in hopes of using them to confuse and control firearm owners to the point of subjugation.

Wanting to restrict our noise impact on our neighbors should be an attitude that the authorities, and the general public, applaud for what it is, showing our acceptance of their right to enjoy their own pursuits with minimal intrusion upon them by our enjoyment of our legal choices of lifestyle. Instead, such desires are labeled as subversive, and seen as evidence that we want conceal our activities for nefarious purpose.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Nigel » 24 Dec 2019, 8:58 pm

bladeracer wrote:While private property is not a public place, it is certainly "any other place".

I don't understand your point here. Yes private property is "any place" and it makes no difference whether it is in a "rural zone" or not.

bladeracer wrote:Perhaps you should put your question to the Police or a lawyer?

I don't think there's any question that needs answering here. You said it was illegal to use a firearm in a non-rural area under any circumstances. The law does not say that and I was simply pointing out the error.
I think the law in this area is clear and see no reason to ask police or lawyers anything.

bladeracer wrote:I would expect the charge to be exactly that, discharging a firearm with reckless disregard for the safety of other people.

Are you saying that this is the law that you based your original "rural zone" comment on?
This is a fairly new law. Are you aware of some legal precedent stating that using a firearm in a non-rural zone always constitutes "reckless disregard for safety"?

Before last year's change to section 130, your original comment would have been pretty much spot on. It's not a big deal if you just didn't realise that the law had been changed.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Farmerpete » 24 Dec 2019, 9:57 pm

Easy on Nigel if you're going to argue the wording bit you should be aware it was changed to make it appear as if someone in an office was clever

It also threw people and police into a panic wondering if hunting in state Forrest was illegal even with dpi certification.Or if shooting in the backyard was now legal!

Luckily police issued a statement saying that they were going to enforce public place as meaning populace place still.

If you went to court and set precedence state Forrest hunting will be a thing of the past and it would take a week before shooting at home was legislated against.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2019, 10:43 pm

Nigel wrote:I don't think there's any question that needs answering here. You said it was illegal to use a firearm in a non-rural area under any circumstances. The law does not say that and I was simply pointing out the error.
I think the law in thi
Ended up losing what I wrote trying to get it to quote properly...

Where did I make this statement? There are certainly circumstances outside of rural zoning that allow firearm usage, shooting 9n private property in an urban environment does not strike me as one of them, and can easily be argued to be to the reckless endangerment of people in the vicinity. Are you saying the law clearly allows us to shoot on private property in an urban environment?
The question I refer to is the one you asked me - "What law makes it a crime to discharge a firearm other than in a "rural zone"?" - you would be best served asking the authorities.

Nigel wrote:Are you saying that this is the law that you based your original "rural zone" comment on?
This is a fairly new law. Are you aware of some legal precedent stating that using a firearm in a non-rural zone always constitutes "reckless disregard for safety"?

I did not make that assertion, but I think you would struggle to win the argument that discharging firearms in an urban environment does not endanger other people, whether recklessness is part of the specific circumstance would be for a court to determine.

Before last year's change to section 130, your original comment would have been pretty much spot on. It's not a big deal if you just didn't realise that the law had been changed.

I can't see that change in the wording of the makes any difference.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 25 Dec 2019, 8:05 am

rc42 wrote:Actually my 'shooting line structure' or whatever it should be called is technically portable and certainly a temporary structure, it's well over a hundred concrete blocks from Bunnings, 390x190.190 each with just gravity and friction supporting the walls, thick rubber play area mats line it but are attached by removable clips.

It's main purpose is to limit the arc of movement available to the loaded firearm to an area covered by a substantial backstop, much like those giant blue barrels would in the picture, it also reduces noise to the sides (but not to the rear or front) in a similar way to a building or bank of soil or even trees if there were enough, I don't think that any reasonable interpretation of the law could class it or any of those as a 'device' or 'contrivance' And yet there a clubs that have been threaten with having their licences suspended if they continue to allow their members to use those barrals. and importantly, it doesn't reduce the actual noise at the muzzle which is by definition the 'sound caused by discharging the firearm' Ditch the "thick rubber play area mats". Rubber absorbs sound pressure waves. It might not be the 30 or so DB that a more conventional 'silencer' would do, but it is still "reducing the sound caused by discharging a firearm". To stop the risk of any ricochet going god knows where after leaving the structure, extend said structure to the backstop, this will make what is known as a gallery range, this is acceptable for testing firearms and load development.

As far as I can determine operating a 'range' is different to personal recreational shooting in the same place on your rural property with the difference largely being when other are also shooting there, especially if it is a paid service or a club. Yes, we are lucky enough up here to be allowed have a 'range' on our own land as long as we are not conducting club or club like activities on it.

Unfortunately, much of firearm legislation seems to have been written by people with poor understanding of firearms and they couldn't possibly cover every scenario so some of the wording ends up vague and open to interpretation. By design, not accident. A key part of firearm ownership and use is knowing where your activities are going into those grey areas and understand the risks and your legal position if you are challenged on it. Every LAFO should have a copy of the legislation, and be able to justify their forray into any grey areas, and more importantly, have a lawyer who is willing to defend their (LAFO) interpretation of said legislation.

It's a shame really that trying to enjoy your hobby in a safe place and reduce noise and nuisance for your neighbours is fraught with such risks.

The above is advise (but not legal) given by someone who has certificate in range design and range operation It is up to you (or anyone else) as to how you use that advise.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles