Anschutz 1761 - First impressions

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Anschutz 1761 - First impressions

Post by ash_hendo » 06 Dec 2019, 5:18 pm

Not long received my new Anschutz 1761, posting my experiences for anyone who's interested.

1) Wood is nice, good size, nice weight
2) feeding seems to be very ammo brand sensitive. Some rim over rim jams etc. RWS feeds best so far.
3) Accuracy, so far CCI standard has worked the best for me at 50m with 10 rounds under 1cm, I was only using a backback as a rest under the front as I forgot to take my bench bags to the range, so testing was not optimal.

full-view.jpg
full-view.jpg (390.85 KiB) Viewed 9924 times

Video of feed/eject problems, light blue practice rounds have never failed, Dark blue hardly ever work!!

https://www.amazon.com.au/photos/share/ ... wGxbMEcHsm

CCI - Me on the left and my Son on the right, I think the horizontal movement in my group is my bad.......

CCI.jpg
CCI.jpg (228.04 KiB) Viewed 9806 times
Last edited by ash_hendo on 07 Dec 2019, 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Anschutz 1761 - First impressions

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 06 Dec 2019, 6:16 pm

Nice one Ryan
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Dec 2019, 6:21 pm

they are a very nice rifle, well done :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 06 Dec 2019, 7:00 pm

Very nice! What lenght is the barrel? 16 inch? Bit hard to tell with the little scope? :sarcasm:
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Dec 2019, 8:19 pm

I assume it's 8x32.... but almost could be 10x50x60 sightron
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by ash_hendo » 06 Dec 2019, 9:26 pm

Cooper wrote:Very nice! What lenght is the barrel? 16 inch? Bit hard to tell with the little scope? :sarcasm:

:-) it's actually 18 inches, but they've totally redesigned the receiver and bolt to be much shorter, so it looks shorter in comparison to their older designs.
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ash_hendo » 06 Dec 2019, 9:28 pm

Ziad wrote:I assume it's 8x32.... but almost could be 10x50x60 sightron

10x50x60 sightron is correct, probably not the best scope for it, but I had it spare.
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 Dec 2019, 5:47 am

Shoot.....hahaha nice
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 Dec 2019, 3:00 pm

The way that rifle shoots (straight out of the box?), it reminds me that I sometimes think that it might be better to save up for an extra year, rather than buy something cheaper. It would save an awful lot of hassle I reckon.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 07 Dec 2019, 5:58 pm

Scopes way to big - just sayin
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by allan » 07 Dec 2019, 6:26 pm

I'm sure you will enjoy owning that rifle - A radical departure from the accepted Anschutz traditional look and design.
I'm "old school" and love Anschutz 54 sporters but after using a 1761 with that "modern" thumb hole stock, I'm a convert!
These new models give away nothing in function or accuracy to previous Anschutz rim fires.
Re the magazines - Probably the weakest link - I've managed to break or crack many OEM factory mag plastic base plates or followers over the years and now use Wisner all steel mags in all mine. I've found that these "one size fits all" 1761 mags need to be carefully loaded as there is a lot of room on that follower for a 22LR round and it is possible to induce a miss feed if the rounds aren't seated all the way to the rear.
These 1761's are a compact and good handling rifle and would make an ideal all purpose 22.
The dimensions remind me of the original 18XX rifles from the 80's era - Certainly much lighter and shorter than my favourite 1710 DHB models.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by ash_hendo » 07 Dec 2019, 7:36 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:The way that rifle shoots (straight out of the box?), it reminds me that I sometimes think that it might be better to save up for an extra year, rather than buy something cheaper. It would save an awful lot of hassle I reckon.

Yes, straight out of the box. It is a very nice piece of engineering, but as allan said, the magazine is fussy, get ammo it likes and it's perfect, but for ammo it doesn't like..... well......
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 Dec 2019, 9:40 pm

Hey Allan, where can you get the magazine from?

My original 5 shots plastic bottom park broke, I have super glued it, but not sure how long it will last. I did find a 10 shot original mag.... but worried it might eventually break
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 08 Dec 2019, 8:19 am

I bought some originals from Rebel and Gun world you need to check around a bit for prices and stock if no stock just ask.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by allan » 08 Dec 2019, 9:56 am

Ziad wrote:Hey Allan, where can you get the magazine from?

My original 5 shots plastic bottom park broke, I have super glued it, but not sure how long it will last. I did find a 10 shot original mag.... but worried it might eventually break

Rather than hijack the OP's topic, I started a new one with a few options you may like to consider.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Dec 2019, 11:31 am

Thanks mate.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by ash_hendo » 23 Mar 2022, 9:28 pm

For fun I tried some radically different speed ammo at the 50m range at St Mary's last week, from 900-1435 (from spec, not chrono), All were reasonable, but the real surprise was how well the 1761 liked the CCI Velocitors (1475fps). Gave a much bigger crack than the other bullets. Almost could be a go to bullet for hunting and Target shooting!! 10 rounds under 1cm at 50m was about what I was getting with my previous favourite (cci standard). Shows the potential of this nice unit. I'm sure someone who could shoot really well with a tuner could get all the bullets almost in the same hole...... all groups are 10 rounds.except the clean target where I "warmed up" the gun to each new lot of ammo..... Ignore POI shift as I had a rough guess at changing it based on what was happening on practice target, I assume normally there would be a much bigger POI shift between 900's and 1435 fps rounds.....

22lr-tests.jpg
22lr-tests.jpg (309.54 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Mar 2022, 5:52 am

in2anity wrote:Scopes way to big - just sayin

There's a growing interest in long range .22lr plinking now, perhaps it's set up for that.
I was thinking about putting more scope on my .22 for that myself.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Mar 2022, 5:57 am

ash_hendo wrote:For fun I tried some radically different speed ammo at the 50m range at St Mary's last week, from 900-1435 (from spec, not chrono), All were reasonable, but the real surprise was how well the 1761 liked the CCI Velocitors (1475fps). Gave a much bigger crack than the other bullets. Almost could be a go to bullet for hunting and Target shooting!! 10 rounds under 1cm at 50m was about what I was getting with my previous favourite (cci standard). Shows the potential of this nice unit. I'm sure someone who could shoot really well with a tuner could get all the bullets almost in the same hole...... all groups are 10 rounds.except the clean target where I "warmed up" the gun to each new lot of ammo..... Ignore POI shift as I had a rough guess at changing it based on what was happening on practice target, I assume normally there would be a much bigger POI shift between 900's and 1435 fps rounds.....

22lr-tests.jpg

Awesome results with the 1475 CCI's :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bello » 24 Mar 2022, 6:45 am

Congrats on the rifle
Those CCI Velocitors seem like the ticket
:thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by allan » 24 Mar 2022, 8:32 am

Good to see some one else enjoying a 1761.

These are impressive little rifles and I must admit my 54's have seen little use since I acquired mine.

I finally managed to put some shots down range (50 metres outdoors and windy!) a couple of days ago - Been away from home a lot this past year & shooting activities have been a low priority!

Here's 125 shots starting with a clean bore and sighting in with a new Meopta I picked up recently. Five different types of SK here. Circle OD's on the big target are 12MM.

allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Bugman » 24 Mar 2022, 9:06 am

My mates 1712 shoots very tight groups using SK Red ammo. You have a really nice and accurate bit of kit there. Enjoy it.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by ash_hendo » 24 Mar 2022, 8:38 pm

allan wrote:Good to see some one else enjoying a 1761.

These are impressive little rifles and I must admit my 54's have seen little use since I acquired mine.

I finally managed to put some shots down range (50 metres outdoors and windy!) a couple of days ago - Been away from home a lot this past year & shooting activities have been a low priority!

Here's 125 shots starting with a clean bore and sighting in with a new Meopta I picked up recently. Five different types of SK here. Circle OD's on the big target are 12MM.

Hey, that is impressive, SK seems to be working well for you, I've not tried them yet, are they all lead round nose?
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ash_hendo » 24 Mar 2022, 8:41 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
in2anity wrote:Scopes way to big - just sayin

There's a growing interest in long range .22lr plinking now, perhaps it's set up for that.
I was thinking about putting more scope on my .22 for that myself.

It's certainly a fun rifle to shoot, 22lr has always been a favourite of mine, nice for tight little groups and cheaper to run than my CF's :-)

I'm going to give it a go at some longer ranges, already very happy at 100m, might try for some long range next. I like the bigegr scope, with my old eyes :-)
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by allan » 25 Mar 2022, 11:05 am

ash_hendo wrote:Hey, that is impressive, SK seems to be working well for you, I've not tried them yet, are they all lead round nose?

All round nose unplated with decent lube! Lot numbers are the key and regardless of grade, some definitely shoot better than others. On those targets I posted above, I started with Standard Plus, Pistol Match Special, Long Range, Lapua Polar Biathlon & finally Rifle Match. PMS, LR & PB are slightly faster than the others.
That target is a classic illustration that cost means nothing when it comes to 22LR accuracy. Polar Biathlon is almost double in price but lot numbers of the cheaper stuff matched to my rifles will nearly always outshoot random lots of the expensive stuff!
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by ash_hendo » 25 Mar 2022, 9:52 pm

allan wrote:
ash_hendo wrote:Hey, that is impressive, SK seems to be working well for you, I've not tried them yet, are they all lead round nose?

All round nose unplated with decent lube! Lot numbers are the key and regardless of grade, some definitely shoot better than others. On those targets I posted above, I started with Standard Plus, Pistol Match Special, Long Range, Lapua Polar Biathlon & finally Rifle Match. PMS, LR & PB are slightly faster than the others.
That target is a classic illustration that cost means nothing when it comes to 22LR accuracy. Polar Biathlon is almost double in price but lot numbers of the cheaper stuff matched to my rifles will nearly always outshoot random lots of the expensive stuff!

"classic illustration that cost means nothing when it comes to 22LR accuracy" - This seems to be so true, there seems to be a bullet the barrel likes and that's that.... I guess it's like Centre Fires, when you get the node, small changes in velocity matter much less, I assume if the bullet suits the node on the 22lr, then variation in "power" of a chaep round does not matter as much either.....
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 26 Mar 2022, 11:03 am

Getting ammo that is the correct MV to suit the node of your barrel is one thing the other that I think may be the larger factor is getting ammo that is the right size ie length for you chamber.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by ash_hendo » 28 Mar 2022, 7:35 pm

Larry wrote:Getting ammo that is the correct MV to suit the node of your barrel is one thing the other that I think may be the larger factor is getting ammo that is the right size ie length for you chamber.

Interesting point, I also hear talk about match chambers being more fussy but better when you get something it likes, I've heard the 1761 can't take Stingers etc because of the match Chamber.too.
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by allan » 29 Mar 2022, 11:07 am

I once sold a really nice 1416 to an inter-state buyer. He contacted me after his first trip out with the rifle and said it had stopped extracting spent cases! Turned out he had spent the week-end shooting Stingers through it - I'm not sure how they even chambered in an Anschutz but after a thorough scrubbing with a bronze brush, the crud around the leade area was removed and function was restored.

I have two 1710's here. CCI SV is hard to chamber in these rifles (typical for Anschutz) and if I shoot enough of it without cleaning, they will stop extracting.

The 1761 pictured above is fitted with a True Flite Ultra Match. My smith cut a true match chamber on that rifle and headspaced it for SK/Lapua at my request. I wouldn't dream of using "bulk" ammo in that rifle and use SK/Lapua in every decent 22 I own.

My experience only - Others may vary!!!!
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by bladeracer » 29 Mar 2022, 12:32 pm

ash_hendo wrote:
Larry wrote:Getting ammo that is the correct MV to suit the node of your barrel is one thing the other that I think may be the larger factor is getting ammo that is the right size ie length for you chamber.

Interesting point, I also hear talk about match chambers being more fussy but better when you get something it likes, I've heard the 1761 can't take Stingers etc because of the match Chamber.too.

Sporting chamber only takes the nose of the bullet, so no contact at all. Match chambers tend to force the entire driving band of the bullet into the throat.
With the Stinger-length case (there are a few types using this longer case) the front of the case gets driven into the throat and tightly grips the bullet in place.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles