Anschutz 1761 - First impressions

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Anschutz 1761 - First impressions

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Mar 2022, 3:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:With the Stinger-length case (there are a few types using this longer case) the front of the case gets driven into the throat .

Yes it does and that is what put me off them. Did not think it would have been good for the rifling. It was quite accurate however, no doubt because the rifling engraved the bullet. This leads me to wonder if my rifle actually needs a "Match" chamber :crazy: :lol: [too many rabbit holes]
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Larry » 29 Mar 2022, 5:16 pm

Jamming bullets into the rifling is often a trick to better accuracy esp the projectiles with rounded noses.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by ash_hendo » 29 Mar 2022, 6:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
ash_hendo wrote:
Larry wrote:Getting ammo that is the correct MV to suit the node of your barrel is one thing the other that I think may be the larger factor is getting ammo that is the right size ie length for you chamber.

Interesting point, I also hear talk about match chambers being more fussy but better when you get something it likes, I've heard the 1761 can't take Stingers etc because of the match Chamber.too.

Sporting chamber only takes the nose of the bullet, so no contact at all. Match chambers tend to force the entire driving band of the bullet into the throat.
With the Stinger-length case (there are a few types using this longer case) the front of the case gets driven into the throat and tightly grips the bullet in place.

That doesn't sounds good, can it cause blow-ups?
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Mar 2022, 6:58 pm

ash_hendo,
Can Stingers cause blow ups? Not in my rifle, they didn't. I was more worried about the brass cases causing premature wear at the leade with the cases being forced into the rifling during chambering.
Come to think of it however, the cases themselves are not doing rifle-velocity-speeds, during chambering so maybe I should not have given those Stingers away after all :?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles