New Howa M1100 - 22 cal rimfire

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: New Howa M1100 - 22 cal rimfire

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2019, 8:58 am

Wapiti wrote:Agree Scott
I don't have any brand loyalty at all, there are different brands that have different models that appeal or suit certain needs.
One thing I like is a firearm that is scaled for the cartridge, with a lovely low mounted, slim scope that comes to the eye immediately.
But Howa certainly impresses for sure. Like the lovely small, made for the cartridge, Howa Mini.

Many other brands have a standard, largish (so weighty for the need) action suited to a 308 or larger, blocked out for smaller cartridges. They say, to save money. Look at a very popular rifle, the Tikka T3. A huge action, blocked out for 223, and even then, without much thought as the mag is so short you can't seat heavier pills out. No thought, yet how much, $1200? No comparison for size or slimness let alone price.

Howa takes the trouble to scale a small, light, tight action for the 222/223/204 size, and still sells them for half the price of a Tikka.
Same as the easy to machine, full diameter (re. Heavy) multi lug bolts that are cheaper to make (only minor machining for the action internals, no twin rails to machine in the raceway) on so many economy guns.
Howa take the trouble to have a light, slim bolt, machine twin lugs, mill the action to suit with virtually no machining marks internally and compete in price. Amazing.
I have an American Predator in 7.62x39 in which the bolt makes a zipping noise because of the machining roughness of the bolt and action. Doesnt affect use, but pretty poor really to me. They say they are made to a price point, well, it cost more than my Howas. I should have got a mini in this cal in hindsight, but the Ruger has a way better stock and bedding set up that you can't really improve on.

Hijacked thread, sorry. Be very interested in seeing the rim fire. I'll wait for the stainless version as I'm a slack bastard and don't want to worry so much about corrosion.

I'm hearing ya mate, for the $$ and the performance you get from them they are hard to beat, I own a Ruger too, it doesn't really do it for me TBH, it was rough in the action and needed some polishing to bring it up to a suitable standard, the trigger was crap so it needed to be worked on and was an easy fix so that was good to see, solid rifle but there's better options out there for the $$$ IMO. I got this one as new 2nd hand of a friend for $700 with scope and a heap of reloads and components and reloading gear so can't really complain, it's an ok rifle but i just seem to go to the Howas as they are always reliable and I know they shoot well so hard to bother with something else if you aren't as confident in it's shooting abilities.

I rank it with the Tikka in the "project" category - rifles that need a bit of help to get em shooting better and if not out the door they can go! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mark223308 » 23 Dec 2019, 6:29 pm

looking forward to reading a review from a known source , Howa have been building for the military since before ww2 and are very good value for money , as Scott has pointed out commonly outshooting much more expensive rifles .
Mark223308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2019, 11:03 pm

Mark223308 wrote:looking forward to reading a review from a known source , Howa have been building for the military since before ww2 and are very good value for money , as Scott has pointed out commonly outshooting much more expensive rifles .

Same here, hopefully they will be good things, I wouldn't mind owning a 22 Howa if it is. Still got to get me a Mini Action, might trade the Ruger in for one one day. :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by solarpak » 25 Jun 2021, 7:48 pm

Hi Folks,
have run the rule over the new howa 1100 in .22LR - not too bad at all!
Shot a wide variety of ammo - standard velocity and HV (but no match ammo ) and shot very well indeed with the Winchester Power Point and Power Point 42 MAX - five shots easily into 20mm at 50m all day. All other ammo shot well too.

The polymer stock is ok - works well - but the TSPX chassis is also available for the 1100.

No dovetail on the receiver top - thus need to fit weaver style bases - or can source one piece rings/bases like what the rifle i shot had fitted.

Bolt travel was a bit rough initially but smoothed up with use

For the coin a good starter rimfire

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by jwai86 » 19 Oct 2022, 12:41 pm

Has anyone here purchased or used a M1100 recently? It seems like something that doesn't get reviewed a lot because there are many established alternatives to choose from.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 19 Oct 2022, 12:56 pm

I don't have one but if the M1500 is any indication it should shoot very well.

I have a 1500 and with the right load it's deadly.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles