Scope for Lithgow la101

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Scope for Lithgow la101

Post by bender21 » 05 Feb 2020, 8:11 pm

Hey everbody, just after your thoughts on a reasonably priced scope for a lithgow la101. It will be mainly used for plinking and maybe silhouette down the track. Any good options around the $300 mark? Happy to go secondhand if it’s worthwhile.
bender21
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Scope for Lithgow la101

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Feb 2020, 8:16 pm

Your budget restricts you to a Chinese made scope.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 05 Feb 2020, 8:26 pm

Save your cookies ......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bender21 » 06 Feb 2020, 5:20 am

What about something like a Bushnell Rimfire series?

Or would I be better off spending a bit more for one of the better brands?

This will be my first rifle so don’t want to buy something that is way more than I need but happy to spend a bit more if it is going to make a difference to my experience.
bender21
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Feb 2020, 6:42 am

Bushnell make quite serviceable scopes, their budget line is made in China. A few guys here use the AR series optics which has an option of a 4 to 18 mag if you want that scope. The retical is very thick and the windage and elevation knobs are a bit mushy. The magnification knob is very blocky so mount the scope a little higher than normal. A popular Brisbane fun shop sells them for less than $300.

If you want to spend as little as possible you can buy a 3 to 9 power Chinese scope online for as little as $60, then upgrade when you want something better.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Feb 2020, 6:44 am

Check out some of the threads about cheap scopes in the Scopes and Optics Section.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Feb 2020, 8:24 am

If you're serious about the silhoutte bit, the 3-9 is a bit limiting. My mate uses a 3-9 for RMS and i find it limiting when he gives me a celebrity spin. IMO I think at least a 12x if not greater is better for RMS - a 16x is even better. Many of the old masters use a 20x or even a 30x.

Oh and W.R.T. your question, I have one of these https://www.ozscopes.com.au/vanguard-en ... scope.html on my la101 which works pretty well as an RMS scope due to the side focus. Jap glass that seems as clear as my Leuies - defenately clearer than a Vortex.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bender21 » 06 Feb 2020, 9:24 am

Thanks for the detailed reply in2anity, that scope looks like a good compromise between price and quality. What rings are you using on your LA101?
bender21
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Feb 2020, 11:23 am

Hey mate
I have a lithgow too.
I mounted a bushnell AR 4.5-18x40 on it with Burris zee rings. I needed the high rings to clear the rear end of the scope to cater for bolt removal but only because mine is the illuminated reticle optioned one.
It tracks great and will repeat all day without fail.
The turrets are in no way mushy at all.
Glass is great for a cheap budget scope.
It’s actually made in Korea not China.
Reticle is not really that thick either if not going long distance and windage marks are pretty much spot on and the reticle isn’t too busy with unnecessary hold offs.

I only push out to 100m with mine as my eyes wont do much more than that.... I like to see the bullet holes and I can just at 100 when on full zoom.

Best of all it’s got a lifetime warranty unlike the Chinese ones mentioned above.

Good luck with your decision. It took me ages to decide on one but I’m happy with the final result

I’d fully recommend it to a beginner doing target stuff
Member-Deleted

Post by bender21 » 06 Feb 2020, 1:36 pm

Thanks Denno, will definitely have a look at those as well.
bender21
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 06 Feb 2020, 2:25 pm

On my 101 I used the leupold PRW they are rock solid .

20200206_152233.jpg
20200206_152233.jpg (331.8 KiB) Viewed 3498 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 06 Feb 2020, 5:20 pm

bender21 wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply in2anity, that scope looks like a good compromise between price and quality. What rings are you using on your LA101?

Leuie rings mate - I think they were the PRWs. The Riflemen rings would also be fine on a rimfire though...

My rings are actually too high though TBH - I think they were the mediums. Could have easily got away with the lows. Nevertheless the la101 has that high euro style comb compared with other rifles - gets your head up nice and high for use with a scope. That's the thing I love most about the la101 actually - lovely shaped gun for standing offhand - also nice amount of heft to deaden the wobble. A light gun shakes all over the place.

leuie.jpg
vanguard endeavor rs 4-12x40mm + PRW rings
leuie.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 3479 times

The Bushnell scopes occupy that same price bracket - but I feel the Japanese HOYA glass in the Vanguard punches above its weight.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bender21 » 06 Feb 2020, 5:26 pm

Thanks mate, that looks like a really good combo.
bender21
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles