What is your favourite 22LR ammunition?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: What is your favourite 22LR ammunition?

Post by rossfrb » 17 Feb 2020, 9:27 pm

I've got an Annie that does OK with the newer SK flatnose match which is ~$115 a brick. It didn't do particularly well with SK rifle match.
I've not yet tried SK flatnose basic which is ~$99 a brick but will in the future. Same for SK magazine which is $90ish a 'tube' -read some good reports about it though.
Unfortunately it likes Eley Edge which is ~$200 a brick.
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Hunter257 » 18 Feb 2020, 11:53 am

I have an RPR and it likes Winchester Bushmans and Winchester subsonic.
Am currently going through a brick of federal std solids which are okay but not as good as the winnies
long Zs are really crappy in my RPR
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 18 Feb 2020, 2:30 pm

Thank you FNQ, TassieTiger, Allan, rc24, rossfrb and Hunter257!

I will add them to my list!
:)

- RWS Fieldline Sub-Sonic
- CCI Mini Mags
- Highland Target
- Eley
- Velocitor
- SK Rifle Match
- Federal Auto Match
- Eley Tenex
- Federal Gold Match
- RWS R50
- RWS R100
- RWS Club
- Armscor
- Eley Match
- SK Magazine
- SK Pistol Match
- SK Pistol Match Special
- Eley Standard
- SK Rifle
- RWS Rifle
- RWS Special Match
- RWS Rifle Match S
- SK Match Long Range
- CCI Blazer
- SK Flatnose Match
- SK Flatnose Basic
- Eley Edge
- Winchester Bushmans
- Federal Standard Solids
- Gecko Match

You guys have given me plenty to work with right here, which is awesome

I will definitely buy 1x box of each one of those ammunition mentioned above
I will test them all
And I will see how I go!

I just love shooting the 22's to be honest
+ The lack of recoil
+ The affordability of the ammunition
+ The accessibility and range of the ammunition
+ The quietness of the 22's (compared to the centrefires)

They're a lot of fun
So great for plinking

:thumbsup:

:drinks:
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 18 Feb 2020, 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Feb 2020, 6:28 pm

Lol @ the affordability of some of that ammo

Eley tennix and tennix are the same, to get those all types, of you are lucky enough to find them probably close to 1k.

Ohh forgot to ad, Gecko Match
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2020, 6:45 pm

Ziad wrote:Lol @ the affordability of some of that ammo

Eley tennix and tennix are the same, to get those all types, of you are lucky enough to find them probably close to 1k.

Ohh forgot to ad, Gecko Match

I make it about $600 at retail, although some are doubles.
The 59 types I've ordered will be about $1200, but I doubt I'll be able to get a lot of them. A lot of the stuff I've already tried I bought bricks of, either because they weren't expensive or because it made life easier for my dealer to order a brick than a couple boxes. Also, a number of them only come in bulk packs. But even the stuff that doesn't shoot great in the firearm is handy to have for the next firearm you buy, and the bulk stuff just means you always have plenty of plinking ammo for when you're practicing.

Shooting is expensive, who'd a thunk it :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 18 Feb 2020, 6:54 pm

Ziad;
When I was talking about affordability
What I meant was;
It's crazy how much cheaper the 22LR ammunition is when you compare it to the Centrefires
I love to plink for 2x or 3x hours straight everytime I go to the range
So for me, the 22's are perfect
(In terms of affordability)

And awesome
I've added Gecko Match to my list

BladeRacer;
You're actually spot on
I've done the numbers
To get all this ammunition in that's on my list
I should be looking at around $600 TOPS
That's pretty good
I don't mind spending $600 knowing that I've tested all the ammunition that I could get my hands on
(That people recommended to me)

I think I'll stick with the 22's for quite a while
So the more experience I gain about them and about their ammunition
The better it is for me
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 18 Feb 2020, 6:59 pm

Just make sure you run a few patches through the gun before you switch to the next type. Otherwise you wont get true results as the lubes on the bullets will be mixed. the lube on 22's vary dramatically and it can have a big effect on how the rounds feed from the magazine as well as shoot.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 18 Feb 2020, 7:03 pm

Sungazer;
Awesome
Thanks for the tip
I'll make sure to do that

I wanna shoot everything
And keep a record of how everything shoots in my ruger
It'll be interesting to have a database detailing how everything shoots
Itd be an interesting study

(And when I say "everything" what I mean is everything that's "in the mainstream" that people recommend to me)
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2020, 7:28 pm

sungazer wrote:Just make sure you run a few patches through the gun before you switch to the next type. Otherwise you wont get true results as the lubes on the bullets will be mixed. the lube on 22's vary dramatically and it can have a big effect on how the rounds feed from the magazine as well as shoot.

I don't agree with this as I've only found a small handful of types that won't group well on another type's lube. I think it's actually more likely that you'll find ammo that won't group well in a clean bore, which is fine if you're intending to shoot a hundred rounds of each, anything that needs more than 10rds of fouling before it starts shooting well goes on my fail list, unless it shoots extraordinarily well. The same for anything that shoots well in a clean bore but drops off after a couple boxes and needs cleaning again. But I do recommend testing all of one manufacturer's ammo together before moving on to the next. If you are concerned about mixing the lubes, shoot the cheapest of that manufacturer's offerings first. Then if you think it shows promise shoot another test with it as the last of the batch, when the bore is throughly coated with that manufacturer's lube, and see if it shoots better or worse.

I think five 5rd groups is enough to show its potential, as well as whether it improves or degrades over the five groups. From that, any types that show promise can be tested again, in isolation, over two or three boxes.

I would do the initial test at 50m as some of the supersonic stuff will be terrible at 100m, despite shooting very well at 50m.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2020, 7:39 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:Ziad;
When I was talking about affordability
What I meant was;
It's crazy how much cheaper the 22LR ammunition is when you compare it to the Centrefires
I love to plink for 2x or 3x hours straight everytime I go to the range
So for me, the 22's are perfect
(In terms of affordability)

And awesome
I've added Gecko Match to my list

BladeRacer;
You're actually spot on
I've done the numbers
To get all this ammunition in that's on my list
I should be looking at around $600 TOPS
That's pretty good
I don't mind spending $600 knowing that I've tested all the ammunition that I could get my hands on
(That people recommended to me)

I think I'll stick with the 22's for quite a while
So the more experience I gain about them and about their ammunition
The better it is for me

I have the advantage of a spreadsheet listing all the ammo and what it costs :-)
I made a list a few years back of every manufacturer I could find, I think it had 212 different types of Long Rifle, Long, and Short ammo, but some of it is impossible to get In Oz without importing it yourself, meaning there's little point in testing it anyway.

That spreadsheet also compiled every bullet manufactured around the world, in every caliber from .172" to .510", plus a list of all the moulds I could find. Many, many hours of research, unfortunately I lost it in a drive crash :-(

I keep a spreadsheet for every firearm, recording every shot fired, what the load was, the results, when the bore was cleaned, any problems or modifications to the firearm, and I keep photos of all the targets I shoot.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 18 Feb 2020, 7:41 pm

That's awesome BladeRacer

We seem to think very alike brother!

TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2020, 7:43 pm

The three types I mentioned initially were some examples that other people went out of their way to ensure I tried because they work so well for them, but they did not perform well for me. CCI Std velocity is another that was stressed numerous times as "must try", and luckily it shoots astonishingly well for me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 18 Feb 2020, 7:45 pm

What's your top 5 list of 22LR ammunition BladeRacer?

Whats in your top 5?
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Feb 2020, 8:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:Just make sure you run a few patches through the gun before you switch to the next type. Otherwise you wont get true results as the lubes on the bullets will be mixed. the lube on 22's vary dramatically and it can have a big effect on how the rounds feed from the magazine as well as shoot.

I don't agree with this as I've only found a small handful of types that won't group well on another type's lube. I think it's actually more likely that you'll find ammo that won't group well in a clean bore,

I don't agree, but perhaps that is my problem. I will not shoot Eley Tenex after shooting Eley Club let alone a different manufactures ammo without a clean. Perhaps it was my shooting and I blame it on the ammo but to me it makes a difference.

To be fair I will not shoot 2208 after shooting 2206 in a centrefire because I feel it makes a difference. It may be in my head but if I get beaten because I did it, I will assume it makes a difference.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2020, 9:05 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:What's your top 5 list of 22LR ammunition BladeRacer?

Whats in your top 5?

It might change after I test some more :-)

Currently CCI Std Velocity is my favorite by a good margin, so I buy it by the case, around $500-600 per 5000rds (currently $620 shipped from Brisbane), so it's also cheap to shoot. It holds 1MoA to 100m in my three Rugers, and seems to maintain accuracy and trajectory out to at least 350m.

Eley Edge, Eley Subsonic and Eley Sport all shoot very well, on par with the CCI SV but cost significantly more, two to four times the price.

The other ones I find I use more than most are CCI Quiet, purely for very quiet sub-40m shooting, and Remington Cyclones, although mainly because I bought 2000rds for testing rim thickness batching and still have a lot left. After batching it shoots remarkably well. I also tend to go through a fair bit of Highland RX HVRN, HVHP, Target, Subsonic, and HX Super Quiet as they shoot decently and I have a lot of stock ($34 a brick at the time) - they don't feed great through my lever-actions though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Feb 2020, 12:03 am

Hunter257 wrote:I have an RPR and it likes Winchester Bushmans and Winchester subsonic.
Am currently going through a brick of federal std solids which are okay but not as good as the winnies
long Zs are really crappy in my RPR

Have you tried CCI Standard Velocity yet?
Winchester Long Z shoots atrociously in all my .22's.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 20 Feb 2020, 1:30 pm

My Lithgow shoots most ammo well except for Winchester Power points which it doesnt like , i mainly plink with CCI Std as its cheap and shoots well, CCI Velocitor also shoots very well but i save that for hunting. Most Accurate is SK Match, my usual routine at the range after practicing my offhand with 2 or 3 boxes of CCI STD is that i then shoot a box of SK off the bench. The rifle seeems to stay cleaner when i shoot in that order(im guessing the lube on the SK helps a bit)-usually the first 10 rounds with the SK are a bit loose then the groups are very tight after that.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by goldiexxxx » 20 Feb 2020, 9:53 pm

You don't have to test every brand and model available on the shelf to know what will shoot well in your rifle.
Not all manufacturers make their ammo the same calibre. Some make it at .22, some make it at .224, some in between. All you need to do is slug the bore on your barrel and then buy ammo that is .001 larger than the slug...…… done.
Also, anything that shoots supersonic is always going to be less accurate than sub-sonic. That's because about 10m from the end of your barrel (further with the really fast stuff) the bullet goes trans-sonic and the resulting disturbance creates random trajectories. This is why most people here are singing the praises of standard velocity ammo, its designed to be just still sub-sonic.
Whilst standard velocity ammo may not reach out to 100m and knock the head off a rabbit in the dark, its still the most consistent, equates to accurate ammo for the 22LR.
By the way, all four of my 22s shoot CCI Standard the best, and do a good job with the faster CCI offerings too; they just get less accurate the faster the load. CCI stingers can shoot clean through a 50m galvanised post but are not that great at hitting small things out at the range they are actually designed for. I stick to CCI Mini-mags as a max velocity round.
The only other random needing observing is quality control. The bullet might fit the job as described above, but if the ammunition is just cheaply made with no consistency, then that wont help anyone. Don't take a bucket of that Remington rubbish to the range for a relaxing day testing your shooting skills. You will go home with a pile of targets, after having re-zeroed your scope half a dozen times, and seriously doubting why you have a firearms licence at all.

Goldie
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2020, 10:51 pm

goldiexxxx wrote:You don't have to test every brand and model available on the shelf to know what will shoot well in your rifle.
Not all manufacturers make their ammo the same calibre. Some make it at .22, some make it at .224, some in between. All you need to do is slug the bore on your barrel and then buy ammo that is .001 larger than the slug...…… done.
Also, anything that shoots supersonic is always going to be less accurate than sub-sonic. That's because about 10m from the end of your barrel (further with the really fast stuff) the bullet goes trans-sonic and the resulting disturbance creates random trajectories. This is why most people here are singing the praises of standard velocity ammo, its designed to be just still sub-sonic.
Whilst standard velocity ammo may not reach out to 100m and knock the head off a rabbit in the dark, its still the most consistent, equates to accurate ammo for the 22LR.
By the way, all four of my 22s shoot CCI Standard the best, and do a good job with the faster CCI offerings too; they just get less accurate the faster the load. CCI stingers can shoot clean through a 50m galvanised post but are not that great at hitting small things out at the range they are actually designed for. I stick to CCI Mini-mags as a max velocity round.
The only other random needing observing is quality control. The bullet might fit the job as described above, but if the ammunition is just cheaply made with no consistency, then that wont help anyone. Don't take a bucket of that Remington rubbish to the range for a relaxing day testing your shooting skills. You will go home with a pile of targets, after having re-zeroed your scope half a dozen times, and seriously doubting why you have a firearms licence at all.

Goldie

I agree, you don't have to try everything if you're happy with something already. But if you want the most accurate ammo, you can only determine that by testing it yourself.

But I definitely disagree that finding a bullet .001" over bore size is all that's required for accuracy.

Although transonic transition _can_ upset a bullet, it is not a given, some supersonic bullets transition just fine. They even make supersonic olympic-level .22LR ammunition.

And even the cheapest bulk ammo can be surprisingly accurate.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 21 Feb 2020, 6:43 pm

Awesome

Thank you for your help everyone

Like I said before
I normally shoot CCI Standard Velocity
It is my favorite round at the moment
It shoots very well in my Ruger Precision
I am extremely happy with it

However, like I said yes, I'm currently in a phase where I wanna experiement with different ammunition at the moment

You guys have given me a lot to work with right here, so thank you

I will let youse all know how I go!

- RWS Fieldline Sub-Sonic
- RWS R50
- RWS R100
- RWS Club
- RWS Rifle
- RWS Special Match
- RWS Rifle Match S
- CCI Mini Mags
- CCI Velocitor
- CCI Blazer
- CCI Quiet
- SK Rifle Match
- SK Magazine
- SK Pistol Match
- SK Pistol Match Special
- SK Rifle
- SK Match Long Range
- SK Flatnose Match
- SK Flatnose Basic
- Eley
- Eley Match
- Eley Standard
- Eley Edge
- Eley Tenex
- Eley Subsonic
- Eley Sport
- Federal Auto Match
- Federal Gold Match
- Highland Target
- Armscor
- Winchester Bushmans
- Federal Standard Solids
- Gecko Match
- Remington Cyclone
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Feb 2020, 8:49 pm

How many rounds did you fire off today?
Is there any point buying $600 worth of different types of ammo when CCI shoots very well? Could this money go towards some upgraded optics?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 21 Feb 2020, 8:54 pm

A lot of that ammo is sort of specialized or at least made for a specific purpose in mind. I would just select one or two of each brand. I wouldnt waste time with quites and pistol ammo. The pistol has really fast powder so it all burns in the first couple of inches in the barrel. Quiets are just that very slow and only good for very short distance.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Feb 2020, 8:39 am

Good point. But let the kid have fun... he is spending nearly 1k on testing varied ammo using a $200 scope. His gun shop will love him

I too went though this process, spent a couple hundred bucks, to find a totally obscure brand shoots like crazy. That is 6 shots, first was the flyer on a cold barrel afterthought after ceasefire.

20200222_093711.jpg
20200222_093711.jpg (179.9 KiB) Viewed 6506 times

I have another one, that ill put up if i can find it. But it had both been frustrating and lots of fun testing ammo.

Edit: found it, yet again a cold bore flyer, same 6 shots, 5 in one big hole. I just need to get consistent on the shooting position.
Resized_20191129_173641(1).jpeg
Resized_20191129_173641(1).jpeg (239.72 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2020, 9:00 am

Ziad wrote:Good point. But let the kid have fun... he is spending nearly 1k on testing varied ammo using a $200 scope. His gun shop will love him

I too went though this process, spent a couple hundred bucks, to find a totally obscure brand shoots like crazy. That is 6 shots, first was the flyer on a cold barrel afterthought after ceasefire.

20200222_093711.jpg

I have another one, that ill put up if i can find it. But it had both been frustrating and lots of fun testing ammo.

Edit: found it, yet again a cold bore flyer, same 6 shots, 5 in one big hole. I just need to get consistent on the shooting position.
Resized_20191129_173641(1).jpeg

$200 scope? I think his scope was nearly double that?
I fired 165rds yesterday at 50m and 100m and managed a best of 11.5mm for 5rds at 50m, laying in the grass on the bipod, resting the butt on the back of my left hand.

I wasn't really trying as I was playing with the Visionking 10-40x56 on the RPR. Because of the 30-minute rail I couldn't zero closer than 80m, so was shooting four-minutes high at 50m. If I want to use it on the RPR under 80m I'll have to make a mount for it. I also need to pad the cheek rest as the scope is too high for a cheek weld, important at 40-power to see through that 1.6mm exit pupil :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Feb 2020, 9:04 am

You can get 0 moa rails for the rprr. Or just create a point 2inch lower that you aim 4
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2020, 9:17 am

Ziad wrote:You can get 0 moa rails for the rprr. Or just create a point 2inch lower that you aim 4

I have a level rail I could put on, but then I wouldn't be able to shoot long ranges with it.
I was shooting at a 1MoA-100m grid, holding 4MoA low, but it's not conducive to precision.
One advantage of the high-magnification is that I could aim at the half- and quarter-minute grid lines.
Attachments
20200221_191639b.jpg
20200221_191639b.jpg (504.32 KiB) Viewed 6499 times
20200221_192111b.jpg
20200221_192111b.jpg (410.15 KiB) Viewed 6499 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 22 Feb 2020, 4:19 pm

SCJ429;
That is a good point.
Yes, instead of buying $600 worth of ammunition
I would rather put that towards the Tikka T1X or a shotgun (as I would like to get into clay target shooting also) I agree

Sungazer;
Thanks for the advice; I will take that into consideration!
I’ll try the quiet ones and the pistols ones anyway
Purely out of curiosity

Ziad;
Like I said before, I’m not spending $1,000 on ammunition.
Everything works out to be around $600 tops
My scope wasn’t $200. From memory, my scope was around $500.
I also know plenty of great extremely knowledgeable shooters that swear by my Bushnell scope.
I truly got a great scope, that’s for sure!

I think that some of you might have misunderstood me
When I said that I wanted to “test out ammunition”
I didn’t mean that I was gonna rush to the gun store right away
Put $600 worth of dollar bills cash on the counter
Buy all the $600 worth of ammunition all in 1x go
Take the entire ammunition home right away
And then rush to the range right away to test everything out in an extremely quick fashion haha

What I meant was;
It’s nice for me to have a list of ammunition to test out (for over time)
And then over the next few months or years or so
Whenever I pop by a local gun store
I can just buy a box or two of the ammunition that have previously been mentioned on here (per every visit)
And I can test out ammunition in that manner
Slowly but surely, I can test out a bit of everything, over the next few months or years or so
Why not
There is no rush
I dont see the harm in doing a bit of ammunition testing over the next few months or years or so (mixing it up a bit)
I think it'd be pretty interesting to compare and look at the different results that most brands offer
(I know plenty of very experienced shooters that do do that)

Don’t be so quick to judge someone’s intentions!
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Feb 2020, 4:54 pm

Hell, I didn't realize there was that much choice of 22lr ammo made! :o
Last edited by RoginaJack on 23 Feb 2020, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Feb 2020, 9:38 pm

Are you sure it's not actually $629... depending on the shop the prices of ammo varies, a shop might have eley match for 30 and rws HV for $10, another might have match for 26 but HV for $14.

The Bushnell 4.5x18x40 that you have is on special for $235 at the QLD gunshop. You over paid mate. You could gotten a lot better scope for 500 buckaroonies
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 22 Feb 2020, 9:56 pm

Ziad;
As reiterated 3x times before
Yes I did the numbers
Everything works out to be around $600 tops

And I've just checked my receipt
Turns out I only paid $300 for my scope
It was definitely the best $300 ever
I'm really happy with it
I shoot very well with it
I've had extremely experienced shooters recommend me that scope and I can totally see why! :)
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 22 Feb 2020, 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles