What is your favourite 22LR ammunition?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: What is your favourite 22LR ammunition?

Post by FNQ » 27 Feb 2020, 2:10 pm

You blokes should be farmers or politicians.

The numbers always quoted for reloading miss two key ingredients... equipment set & labour cost.

Imagine if Qantas for example didn’t include the aircraft & labour on its balance sheet... instead only quoting fuel and a little on going maintenance cost. Airfares would be ssssoooo cheap & Qantas would be so far in the red.

Once those two factors are included the price of “roll your own” blows well out & factory ammo is by far cheaper. Yes it’s more accurate yes it’s a hobby...
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 27 Feb 2020, 3:01 pm

FNQ wrote:You blokes should be farmers or politicians.

The numbers always quoted for reloading miss two key ingredients... equipment set & labour cost.

Imagine if Qantas for example didn’t include the aircraft & labour on its balance sheet... instead only quoting fuel and a little on going maintenance cost. Airfares would be ssssoooo cheap & Qantas would be so far in the red.

Once those two factors are included the price of “roll your own” blows well out & factory ammo is by far cheaper. Yes it’s more accurate yes it’s a hobby...

He asked per round, not total outlay.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Feb 2020, 3:56 pm

Eveyone knows labor is free haha.

You know i started b looking into reloading to ave money... but even before i bought the equipment i realised that isn't do. I just do it cuz it because i like to tinker...so it's a hobby and bring booth frustration and pleasure to me, which is priceless
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Feb 2020, 4:12 pm

Rubbish, anybody that charges themselves an hourly rate for enjoying their hobby is an idiot.
If you spend a weekend hunting do you cost that time at $500? If you spend an hour playing with your kids do you charge it out as an expense?

The setup cost is as cheap or as expensive as you choose to make it. My brother loads .243 on the Lee Classic Handloader, I doubt he spent a hundred bucks setting up.

Even if I did charge my time and equipment, my equipment over just the past five years would be around 20c on each round I've loaded at most, probably a whole lot less. If I load 200rds of .303 in an hour, even at $50/hr is still only 25c per round.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Feb 2020, 4:27 pm

Ziad wrote:Eveyone knows labor is free haha.

You know i started b looking into reloading to ave money... but even before i bought the equipment i realised that isn't do. I just do it cuz it because i like to tinker...so it's a hobby and bring booth frustration and pleasure to me, which is priceless

I absolutely save money by loading my own, even if I charged myself for the labour. Just for the .204 I'm looking at $2000 to fire 1000rds of factory hornady. I doubt my first 1000rds cost me even $1000.

.303, could I lie in a paddock and happily burn 100rds of factory ammo, no chance. A 150gn Hornady soft point on Trailboss costs me about 70c per shot. In .30-06 the Berry's Copper-Plated 123gn costs 25c apiece and shoots very well, for about 45c per round.

Casting my own bullets in .44 magnum costs little more than shooting .22LR ammo, which is cool as they are cast from recovered .22LR bullets. Casting requires nothing more than a gas torch, a mould and a ladle if you want to keep it cheap. Add a $50 toaster oven if you want to powder-coat them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Feb 2020, 4:33 pm

I save a shed load reloading AND more importantly, learn more about shooting - how much $$$ value to learn??
And - if I were not reloading and at the pub drinking beer and watching little fukn balls? It’s relative...

I don’t know how I’d feel about taking shooting advice from someone who permanently lives on factory rounds...but if I’m shooting along side someone who knows the difference between 2209 and 2206...well, my ears prick up.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 27 Feb 2020, 5:35 pm

If you're still taking suggestions I use Winchester power points to prune the saplings around my target stand
My view on reloading is it can be as cheap or expensive as you make it.
get a lee classic hand loader for 60 to 80 bucks and start with one caliber producing 1 round a minute or go buy a Dillon progressive for a couple of thousand a set of dies for another 100 and go nuts producing 20 rounds a minute.
It's a hobby not a chore and time shouldn't be a factor
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Feb 2020, 6:27 pm

Of course you should consider the cost of equipment and labour, but have you forgotten to send yourself an invoice for rental of the corner of the shed where your reloading bench is located and storage fee for your firearms safe. No serious shooter would forget to dip into the research budget when talking to your mates about reloading or reading forums like this one. :drinks:

And...red is loss but black is profit. Qantas would be in the black.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 27 Feb 2020, 7:04 pm

Settle down mate, there was no deliberate intention to mislead anyone on the cost of reloading. Of course it costs money to set up. Everyone knows that. Thank you for the Qantas example though. :friends:
Out of curiosity mate do you reload? :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Mar 2020, 11:44 am

Had a top day at the range yesterday testing ammo. This time there was only a slight breeze. I didn’t get time to acquire any new ammo so just retested what I had.

SK standard + and SK rifle match were definitely the stand outs at 50 and 100m for my lithgow anyway.

Now I need to get more ammo to feed my addiction
Member-Deleted

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles