Owning a Lithgow LA101

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Owning a Lithgow LA101

Post by JohnV » 13 Nov 2022, 9:05 am

Bought a Model 2E Brno and never had a single problem of any kind in like 30 odd years but I never changed ammo much .
Lithgow have improved quite a bit and they do shoot ok but nothing about them entices me to change .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Lazarus » 13 Nov 2022, 2:35 pm

I bought my latest La101 early this year.
It initially had the stovepipe problem with virtually every second round of Winchester Super Suppressed and after a little TLC to the magazine with some 1500 grit wet paper it even fed that rubbish without problem, just threw them all over the paddock.

According to my records I've put 2794 rounds throught it since and only had 4 stovepipe.

After a little tuning of the fit and installing a 1.5lb trigger spring, it's a one hole laser at 50m with Lapua and almost as good with S&B subs, next best is Eley HV, S&B HV, but does NOT like Aguila at all.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by cloudsurfer » 17 Nov 2022, 11:59 am

I recently got my LA101 and compared it in the shop side by side with the CZ 457 and T1X. To my mind - aside from the beautiful high quality cerkote finish - the Lithgow is definitely the best gun out of the three and quite likely -outside of Anschutz - the best .22 on the market!

The quality is nothing short of outstanding. The CZ has a cheap feel to it which instantly made me discard it and the T1X wasn't quite at the same level either. I have rarely seen a gun that looks and shoots as good as the LA101. Totally impressed. It could easily go for a German gun if you didn't know it, just from the quality of the work.

Imo if you want the best 22 and not spend $2.5k on an Anschutz, the Lithgow is pretty much in a league of its own.
Massive kudos to Australian engineering!
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Nov 2022, 12:17 pm

cloudsurfer wrote:I recently got my LA101 and compared it in the shop side by side with the CZ 457 and T1X. To my mind - aside from the beautiful high quality cerkote finish - the Lithgow is definitely the best gun out of the three and quite likely -outside of Anschutz - the best .22 on the market!

The quality is nothing short of outstanding. The CZ has a cheap feel to it which instantly made me discard it and the T1X wasn't quite at the same level either. I have rarely seen a gun that looks and shoots as good as the LA101. Totally impressed. It could easily go for a German gun if you didn't know it, just from the quality of the work.

Imo if you want the best 22 and not spend $2.5k on an Anschutz, the Lithgow is pretty much in a league of its own.

You don't find it heavy in the field?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cloudsurfer » 17 Nov 2022, 12:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
cloudsurfer wrote:I recently got my LA101 and compared it in the shop side by side with the CZ 457 and T1X. To my mind - aside from the beautiful high quality cerkote finish - the Lithgow is definitely the best gun out of the three and quite likely -outside of Anschutz - the best .22 on the market!

You don't find it heavy in the field?

Not really, it was heavier than the CZ and you could feel the difference in weight for sure but to me it wasn't overly heavy. It actually made it feel more solid to me and with a sling around the shoulder I could carry it all day around the bush. I did put a lightweight scope and rings on it too which helps for sure. For me it's purely plinking and hunting foxes/rabbits with it and it's very easy to shoot it handheld I find...
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Nov 2022, 12:52 pm

cloudsurfer wrote:Not really, it was heavier than the CZ and you could feel the difference in weight for sure but to me it wasn't overly heavy. It actually made it feel more solid to me and with a sling around the shoulder I could carry it all day around the bush. I did put a lightweight scope and rings on it too which helps for sure. For me it's purely plinking and hunting foxes/rabbits with it and it's very easy to shoot it handheld I find...

I find more weight helps offhand as well, but it's no fun lugging it around :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 17 Nov 2022, 1:27 pm

Well the two la101 that I have while they do shoot very well have actually s**t triggers I cannot believe they could build a nice firearm and put a crap trigger on it I kept my 17HMR and I sold my 22 Rimfire and absolutely happily bought a CZ 457 Varmint better in accuracy and a 100 percent better trigger CZ have gone from the worst trigger on the market to the best a simple spring change and it rivals my Jewell triggers .
And yes I did change the springs on the Lithgows and I'm seriously considering selling the 17 HMR.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 17 Nov 2022, 1:35 pm

deye243 wrote:Well the two la101 that I have while they do shoot very well have actually s**t triggers I cannot believe they could build a nice firearm and put a crap trigger on it I kept my 17HMR and I sold my 22 Rimfire and absolutely happily bought a CZ 457 Varmint better in accuracy and a 100 percent better trigger CZ have gone from the worst trigger on the market to the best a simple spring change and it rivals my Jewell triggers .
And yes I did change the springs on the Lithgows and I'm seriously considering selling the 17 HMR.

My only dislike was the trigger, fecking awful.
Gunbloke has 1.5lb trigger springs that make a world of difference to the La101.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 17 Nov 2022, 5:52 pm

Lazarus wrote:
deye243 wrote:Well the two la101 that I have while they do shoot very well have actually s**t triggers I cannot believe they could build a nice firearm and put a crap trigger on it I kept my 17HMR and I sold my 22 Rimfire and absolutely happily bought a CZ 457 Varmint better in accuracy and a 100 percent better trigger CZ have gone from the worst trigger on the market to the best a simple spring change and it rivals my Jewell triggers .

Gunbloke has 1.5lb trigger springs that make a world of difference to the La101.

I used a better spring it's roughly just on or under the pound it is still a bloody awful trigger way too much backlash you can't control sear gagement I mean you can drill and tap holes for grub screws but could be opening illegal minefield is something unto Ward happened
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 17 Nov 2022, 6:06 pm

Well, With Lapua I'm getting one hole groups at 50m with it.
Can't ask for any better than that, but we all have different tastes and standards.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 17 Nov 2022, 6:54 pm

Have you tried Norma tac22 have had great success with this in several 22 very good for it's price.
It's made by RWS
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 17 Nov 2022, 7:27 pm

deye243 wrote:Have you tried Norma tac22 have had great success with this in several 22 very good for it's price.
It's made by RWS

I haven't, there's very limited choice at the nearest gun shop and a 90km drive to get the Lapua.

I'm always up for trying something new, next time I'm going for more Lapua I'll see if they have it :thumbsup:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by cloudsurfer » 18 Nov 2022, 7:32 am

Must definitely be personal preference, I think the trigger is just right. Seems to be the opinion of most reviews on it too but again, it's probably what you're used to and feel comfortable with....
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 18 Nov 2022, 7:54 am

Lazarus wrote:

I'd never buy off that bloke ever again. Dodgy af
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 18 Nov 2022, 8:00 am

bigpete wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

Absolutely, I won't either, no customer service, won't EVER answer the phone or return email, but damn good springs though.
I've had one in my Howa for years.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Mattraff » 18 Nov 2022, 7:09 pm

Definitely the biggest let down with the 101 is the lack of trigger adjustment. I have a spring kit in mine and the trigger is very good. The rifle is always on point even from a cold first shot.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 20 Nov 2022, 5:54 am

Lazarus wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

Absolutely, I won't either, no customer service, won't EVER answer the phone or return email, but damn good springs though.
I've had one in my Howa for years.

I wouldn't know how good his springs are. After 9 months wait and a lot of f***ing around,he sent me the wrong springs anyway. Wanker
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 20 Nov 2022, 8:59 am

bigpete wrote:
I wouldn't know how good his springs are. After 9 months wait and a lot of f***ing around,he sent me the wrong springs anyway. Wanker

:lol: :clap:
Sorry pete, just glad I'm not the only one.
The dick sent my the wrong muzzle attachment and I had buy and adaptor from someone else to get it to fit.
Wanker about covers it all right.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by safeshot » 16 Apr 2023, 2:57 pm

G'day all,
I was out with my 101 yesterday for a club shoot. The combination of events is,
Ammo is Rifle match "SK" (red devils), all weighed to shoot with a consistent weight,
winds were slight.
My scope is new. "Vector" 10 - 40 x 50.
sunlight was all over the place with clouds tearing about the skies. So bright then glaring so a challenge.
Shot over a bench rest
and the results were just great!
Fellow club members are great as well. We bag the crap out of each other.
I have just about completed a rifle rack for the range and a BB (bags and bums) bench is coming up.
These items are largely funded by sifting out the dirt from the brass and returning it to the scrap people.
so a great day.
cheers all..
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles