Semi auto 22 options

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Semi auto 22 options

Post by Shootermick » 07 Mar 2020, 4:55 pm

Hi. I’m in the process of getting my cat C license, and am then wanting to get a semi auto 22. Looked at a Ruger 10/22 in the shop today and quite liked it.
But, am just wondering what other people’s thoughts are on them, or any of the different brands and types out there.
Cheers.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Semi auto 22 options

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Mar 2020, 5:49 pm

The Ruger 10/22 is a great semi, don't buy a Stirling!! If you can find a Voere M2117 they were a very good rifle, select single or semi-auto and field strip without tools, so much better than a Stirling. Remington 597 has a good rep, but I have never owned one, still, they gotta be better than a bloody jam factory Stirling, Cheers.
PS: I did also own a Stirling Model 16, basically a Model 14 action in a AR look a like stock. It was rubbish! If you like that kind of thing though, Jaeger Euroarms made a M16 clone in 22RF with a 10 round mag that was quite reliable and saw one on usedguns recently, can't remember the price but it was pretty steep. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 07 Mar 2020, 5:56 pm

Grew up shooting one, when I got my cat c i bought one without question.
I'm a big fan of them and with all the aftermarket accessories in my opinion they are the most customizable
the only drawback to the 10/22 is you can't shoot any ammo under 1200fps without upgrading to a lighter bolt mines an older model so this may have been fixed by now
It's definitely minute of bunny head with a red dot.

When I bought mine it was the most sold 22 in America I think it still is
The second most sold was the marlin closely followed by Remington
there's more than one YouTube video comparing the three and they all split hairs to find which is better

Also since your only allowed one cat c rifle make sure you want 22lr as your rimfire cartridge
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 07 Mar 2020, 6:02 pm

Farmerpete wrote:Grew up shooting one, when I got my cat c i bought one without question.
I'm a big fan of them and with all the aftermarket accessories in my opinion they are the most customizable
the only drawback to the 10/22 is you can't shoot any ammo under 1200fps without upgrading to a lighter bolt mines an older model so this may have been fixed by now
It's definitely minute of bunny head with a red dot.

When I bought mine it was the most sold 22 in America I think it still is
The second most sold was the marlin closely followed by Remington
there's more than one YouTube video comparing the three and they all split hairs to find which is better

Also since your only allowed one cat c rifle make sure you want 22lr as your rimfire cartridge

Thanks farmerpete. So you’ve got a red dot on yours then? What did you put on it?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Mar 2020, 6:16 pm

My first rifle was a 10/22 and it would be my first choice again.
Also had a Winchester 190 that was a nice shooter but was a tube mag. It would shoot a mix of LR, L and S with zero problems at all.

Some of the more modern models would have some appeal but I don't know if they're legal on CatC due to their appearance. I'd love some of the .22 replicas, like the M1 Carbine, StG44, Uzi's, MP40 and such.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SomeoneElse » 07 Mar 2020, 7:00 pm

I still miss my Marlin Model 60 which I had to hand in in '96. It was probably already 20 years old when I bought it in Jan '95, and it was amazing on the rabbits with a 6x40 scope. Dead accurate, and quick follow up shots to get pairs of bunnies before the 2nd one figured out what was going on. Tube mag required a bit of elbow room to reload but provided your fingers were not numb it was a quick process. I found the cross-bolt safety really convenient - no accidental snagging it on clothes etc, easy to locate with thumb/middle finger in the dark.

I'm sure you already know this but regardless of what you go for just be careful that you don't find yourself with a 15 shot mag which can fit into your semi. Cat C in Vic is 10-shot limit for rimfire, and I don't think "but the BX-15 is for the bolt action" will go down too well. I still think it's a joke that my Cat A got reclassified to Cat D (14 shot tube) overnight.

If I were looking at getting Cat C I'd consider the Marlin 795 (box mag, 10 shot) based on my Model 60 experience, with two spare mags. I might be disappointed from the Remington influence in recent years, but maybe that's sorted out by now. Any owners of recent Marlin care to comment?

Someone Else
SomeoneElse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Mar 2020, 7:12 pm

SomeoneElse wrote:I still miss my Marlin Model 60 which I had to hand in in '96. It was probably already 20 years old when I bought it in Jan '95, and it was amazing on the rabbits with a 6x40 scope. Dead accurate, and quick follow up shots to get pairs of bunnies before the 2nd one figured out what was going on. Tube mag required a bit of elbow room to reload but provided your fingers were not numb it was a quick process. I found the cross-bolt safety really convenient - no accidental snagging it on clothes etc, easy to locate with thumb/middle finger in the dark.

I'm sure you already know this but regardless of what you go for just be careful that you don't find yourself with a 15 shot mag which can fit into your semi. Cat C in Vic is 10-shot limit for rimfire, and I don't think "but the BX-15 is for the bolt action" will go down too well. I still think it's a joke that my Cat A got reclassified to Cat D (14 shot tube) overnight.

If I were looking at getting Cat C I'd consider the Marlin 795 (box mag, 10 shot) based on my Model 60 experience, with two spare mags. I might be disappointed from the Remington influence in recent years, but maybe that's sorted out by now. Any owners of recent Marlin care to comment?

Someone Else

If you're just plinking, the tube mag is less of a problem, shoot until it's empty, then reload. If you're hunting though, having to top-up a live rifle from the noisy end is a concern. Plus tube mags are a pain to have to load and unload every time you use the rifle, even if you don't fire a shot. With a detachable mag you just remove the mag and put the rifle in the safe and the loaded mag in the ammo safe.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 07 Mar 2020, 8:16 pm

The Kriss look mint.

https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/Kri ... uto/104116

There is also some HECKLER & KOCH in 22lr which are mint too.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 07 Mar 2020, 8:17 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:The Ruger 10/22 is a great semi, don't buy a Stirling!! If you can find a Voere M2117 they were a very good rifle, select single or semi-auto and field strip without tools, so much better than a Stirling. Remington 597 has a good rep, but I have never owned one, still, they gotta be better than a bloody jam factory Stirling, Cheers.
PS: I did also own a Stirling Model 16, basically a Model 14 action in a AR look a like stock. It was rubbish! If you like that kind of thing though, Jaeger Euroarms made a M16 clone in 22RF with a 10 round mag that was quite reliable and saw one on usedguns recently, can't remember the price but it was pretty steep. Cheers.

3grand.

https://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=164729
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 07 Mar 2020, 8:21 pm

So I’ve done the online part of the form, and now have to send back the hard copy. I’ve got my primary producer rates notice and abn. Have to contact the Licensing Dept for a list of my current firearms, then send it all back. Is there anything I’m missing? Do I need to do the proof of ID again? I couldn’t find anything that said I had to.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 07 Mar 2020, 8:30 pm

Are you getting one shotgun and one rifle?
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 07 Mar 2020, 8:42 pm

StraightWhiteMale wrote:Are you getting one shotgun and one rifle?

Just after a rifle at this stage. Had a semi auto Beretta A301 shotgun back in the day, but Martin Bryant ruined that.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Mar 2020, 9:12 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:The Ruger 10/22 is a great semi, don't buy a Stirling!! If you can find a Voere M2117 they were a very good rifle, select single or semi-auto and field strip without tools, so much better than a Stirling. Remington 597 has a good rep, but I have never owned one, still, they gotta be better than a bloody jam factory Stirling, Cheers.

I had two Model 20 stirlings and they both ran fine. One I picked up for $20 on a visit to Perth and had it sent back to me in SA. Also had a Model 1500 WMR bolt-action that was a decent rifle, but I bought that one new.

I wouldn't recommend the Stirling over a lot of other choices, but I wouldn't be against it either. I still have a Model 20 shell deflector somewhere.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 07 Mar 2020, 9:43 pm

good question. thanks for posting this. i could use a semi 22lr around my farm at the moment. don't know if its worth jumping the hoops though.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 07 Mar 2020, 10:02 pm

knowsnothin wrote:good question. thanks for posting this. i could use a semi 22lr around my farm at the moment. don't know if its worth jumping the hoops though.

Iits worth it. Get the shotgun whle your at it too mate.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 08 Mar 2020, 8:14 am

Shootermick wrote:Thanks farmerpete. So you’ve got a red dot on yours then? What did you put on it?

I put a cheap utc red/green dot and pic rail on was what the lgs had in stock and does the job
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wapiti » 09 Mar 2020, 4:10 pm

+1 for the Ruger 10/22, 10 shot flush fit magazines are great, and there are other options if you are imaginative. We've had one here forever on a C.
A stainless one is a great easy care farm gun if you are busy, and if you want to make it into a target shooter there are carbon fibre barrels, 2lb triggers and all sorts of stocks available at better shops.

There are a few clones based on them, my wife just got her C too, and is chasing a Volquartson SF-1 in SS or Superlight 22 magnum, they are tricked up based on 10/22's and take any Ruger American or 77/22 magnum magazine. Also come in 17HMR cat C.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 10 Mar 2020, 12:45 am

"With a detachable mag you just remove the mag and put the rifle in the safe and the loaded mag in the ammo safe."

Not in WA. Over here it is illegal to store mags loaded or have loaded mags while transporting firearms - e.g. to or from the range or property you will be shooting on.

That said, I'd go with the Ruger.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 10 Mar 2020, 6:33 am

Definitely get the 10/22. I put a heavy weight 16" barrel on mine, its great. 10/22s are so easy to find and so easy to get aftermarket bits and pieces for.

My action is worn out, I plan to like-for-like swap it for a better action one day, just haven't gotten around to it.

While your doing to your cat C forms do it for shotgun as well. I got cat C put on my license in 2016, bought the 10/22 straight away but didn't end up buying a shotgun until 2018. Now I probably use the shotgun more
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 10 Mar 2020, 5:29 pm

What about the 10/22 takedown lite? Anyone seen one of these. Short barrel that tapers off to save weight, wrapped in an aluminium sleeve to provide rigidity and accuracy, apparently. I’ve only seen them online and read a few reviews mind you so I really don’t have any first hand experience or opinions. They come in a few different colours too.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cracker » 14 Mar 2020, 9:08 am

i really like the sportco 71's they run really well, old australian made gun.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 14 Mar 2020, 11:11 am

cracker wrote:i really like the sportco 71's they run really well, old australian made gun.

Am I right in thinking that with cat c I can only own one semi auto 22? If so it would convince me to buy a new rifle over a used one.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Mar 2020, 2:03 pm

Yep, only one. If you want another you have to sell the first one.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 14 Mar 2020, 4:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:Yep, only one. If you want another you have to sell the first one.

Thanks, that’s what I thought. Probably be going straight down the 10/22 path, synthetic stainless non takedown is heading the list at the moment. I do like the Magpul stocks as an aftermarket option too.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by valkyrie » 16 Mar 2020, 9:24 pm

I looked at some 10/22s when I got my cat c but I wanted something a bit different. I went with a cz 512. Uses the same barrel interchangability system as the 457 so you can run multiple calibres in the same gun. And it will cycle anything I've put through it all the way down to 40grain Winchester subs. It's also not fussy at all about mags unlike the bolt action cz .22s. Will work with both 452/455 mags and model 1 and 2 mags.
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles