Quiet small caliber for rabbits- probably air

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Quiet small caliber for rabbits- probably air

Post by Permie » 07 Mar 2020, 11:10 pm

Hi , first post.
After a recent move to a small acreage (10.5) in the Yarra Valley region, instead of using friends guns on their land, I’m finally buying my own guns.
My main interest is to shoot to eat, and preferably to shoot and eat things that would otherwise damage/eat my garden and upcoming orchard plantings.
I’ve got rabbits and deer, and I like eating both.
The deer (usually Samba) will be dealt with by a .308W I have a PTA currently in for- if I am very careful with where I shoot and very patient waiting for them to come through my gully where I can ensure a very safe backstop, I might even be able to fire that gun here one day... :lol:

In the mean time I am now looking into a dedicated rabbit gun. I’ve got neighbours on two sides, some way off, and a big reserve on our front, but it is very quiet here. I want to be able to shoot rabbits at night and early morning without bothering my neighbours in the slightest. (when I plan to go after deer they will get warning, and I won’t be target shooting the .308 here, at least not till I have earned a bit more credit and understanding with them).

I’ve shot a fair few rabbits with various subsonic .22lr rounds, which I am not in love with, snd if I can get an accurate and reliably humane rabbit kill with something quieter, then that is what I want- for the neighbours and for the chance of dispatching more bunnies, and some noise and worry free plinking in the day.
I haven’t shot an air rifle since I was a kid.

My initial research says I want a good reliable accurate and powerful springer with a suitable scope, set up for shooting around roughly the 50m range, at a stretch a little longer. Probably a lever under. Second hand. Probably .22. Don’t have much money, but want to buy something decent. Can’t afford to be too concerned with looks.

Weihrauch seem to stand out, though I haven’t figured out the differences in models yet.
This one maybe, though it is pushing up well into the top what u want to spend- cheaper would be better.

http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/79125 ... n_039.html

Is the pre-import ban ‘lump’ on the end of the barrel any quieter than the models that are available now (drilled out or something), or are they quiet enough anyway?

How do the other Weihrauch models compare?

What are some other comparable in quality and accuracy (good power, springer, probably lever under) air rifle brands/models to consider and look out for for the express purpose of rabbits? (and targets, practicing for rabbits).

Cheers
Permie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Quiet small caliber for rabbits- probably air

Post by Permie » 08 Mar 2020, 7:04 pm

Just been reading a bit more, seems the 50m range I mentioned might be optimistic with the .22? oh well, I like the idea of the small bit of extra punch of the 22, over the .177, so whatever I get I’ll be using whatever range it is effective at.
Permie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2020, 7:12 pm

Permie wrote:Hi , first post.
After a recent move to a small acreage (10.5) in the Yarra Valley region, instead of using friends guns on their land, I’m finally buying my own guns.
My main interest is to shoot to eat, and preferably to shoot and eat things that would otherwise damage/eat my garden and upcoming orchard plantings.
I’ve got rabbits and deer, and I like eating both.
The deer (usually Samba) will be dealt with by a .308W I have a PTA currently in for- if I am very careful with where I shoot and very patient waiting for them to come through my gully where I can ensure a very safe backstop, I might even be able to fire that gun here one day... :lol:

In the mean time I am now looking into a dedicated rabbit gun. I’ve got neighbours on two sides, some way off, and a big reserve on our front, but it is very quiet here. I want to be able to shoot rabbits at night and early morning without bothering my neighbours in the slightest. (when I plan to go after deer they will get warning, and I won’t be target shooting the .308 here, at least not till I have earned a bit more credit and understanding with them).

I’ve shot a fair few rabbits with various subsonic .22lr rounds, which I am not in love with, snd if I can get an accurate and reliably humane rabbit kill with something quieter, then that is what I want- for the neighbours and for the chance of dispatching more bunnies, and some noise and worry free plinking in the day.
I haven’t shot an air rifle since I was a kid.

My initial research says I want a good reliable accurate and powerful springer with a suitable scope, set up for shooting around roughly the 50m range, at a stretch a little longer. Probably a lever under. Second hand. Probably .22. Don’t have much money, but want to buy something decent. Can’t afford to be too concerned with looks.

Weihrauch seem to stand out, though I haven’t figured out the differences in models yet.
This one maybe, though it is pushing up well into the top what u want to spend- cheaper would be better.

http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/79125 ... n_039.html

Is the pre-import ban ‘lump’ on the end of the barrel any quieter than the models that are available now (drilled out or something), or are they quiet enough anyway?

How do the other Weihrauch models compare?

What are some other comparable in quality and accuracy (good power, springer, probably lever under) air rifle brands/models to consider and look out for for the express purpose of rabbits? (and targets, practicing for rabbits).

Cheers

I would go with a .22LR and low-velocity ammo. Pick up a secondhand rifle for $200 and try a variety of ammo to find which it prefers. CCI Quite is rated at 68DB, lower than springer air-rifles.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 08 Mar 2020, 7:37 pm

I’d go a .22LR with subsonic or low velocity ammo mate. Should do the trick if keeping noise down is your goal.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 Mar 2020, 8:11 pm

I’m not sure how much air rifles have improved over the last 25 yrs since I have used one but I’m still unsure about their effectiveness. 22 long z are very quiet.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Permie » 08 Mar 2020, 8:28 pm

I’ve shot the 22Z and the CCL quiet rounds, can’t really recall which was which, but they were pretty quiet and worked well enough on rabbits. I do remember the bullet drop being considerable but then that rifle wasn’t zeroed for that ammo. I would have thought an air rifle springer would be quieter, shows what I know, and if not then indeed there is no need to get an air rifle, I will look into cheap but decent used .22lr package.
Longer barrel should equal quieter yes?
Are there any relatively common decent .22lrs than had longer barrels?
Off to trawl through gun listings and google models again, thanks for the posts.
Permie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 08 Mar 2020, 8:33 pm

Marlin and Henry have some good leavers.

https://www.thebarn.net.au/categories/22LR/17150

Or ruger american/precision rifle are great too.

https://www.thebarn.net.au/categories/Ruger/3068
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ScottyD » 08 Mar 2020, 8:38 pm

I'm a complete newbie (STILL waiting for my licence to come through), so be aware that I am certainly NO expert and you should take anything I say with a large bucket of salt. But I think I'm on a similar path to you, although I intend on competing with .22 rimfire and air rifle along with the pest elimination around my property (I won't be eating my kills).

My current thinking is I'll probably be getting an under lever air rifle first. Most likely the Weirauch HW97KT, although the Air Arms TX200 does look pretty nice and the Walther LGU is apparently a highly rated cheaper option. Because I'll be getting various calibres of rim and center fire and setting up my arsenal as soon as I get my licence (along with all the associated bits of kit), I'll be putting off getting a top level PCP for a fair while (maybe an FX or a Styer). I reckon the under lever will serve well in the mean time and help with shooting technique, plus these particular rifles are no toys.

I agree with the sentiment of using .22 rimfire on the bunnies. I know they hunt them very seriously (and successfully) with air rifles in Europe (especially UK), so it seems the air rifles are definitely capable enough. I think a powder gun will just give better range, accuracy and humane kills. I used .22LRs during my limited hunting during my youth, and knocked over a fair number of rabbits, foxes and roos at ranges that would've been a bit random with an air gun (although I don't think any of the rounds we were using were subsonic). They seem to be way cheaper than the reasonable quality air rifles you & I are looking at.

We've got 33 acres in the upper Hunter Valley (NSW), which backs onto our own private 1200 acres reserve that is pretty mountainous and bushy. We've lots of pigs, foxes and wild dogs routinely coming down from the reserve and running amok around our (and neighbor's) land, and I hear there are probably deer up there as well. Once I finally get set up, I'm really looking forward to developing my hunting and shooting skills.

Anyway, that's my 0.02c worth. Good luck with the purchase, please let us know what you end up with and how it goes. (I'll probably still be waiting for my licence)
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 08 Mar 2020, 8:54 pm

The Weihrauch HW97 always had that lump on the barrel, it is a barrel weight, a few years ago the powers that be deemed it resembled a silencer so there was an import ban on HW97's and the HW77, essentially the same minus the barrel weight, was the only choice of underlever fixed barrel Weihrauch imported to Australia. The HW97 in 22 with a bit of internal work to smooth out the shot cycle such as a Maccari kit or there are a few blokes who can work wonders on them, is more than capable of taking rabbits out to 50-60m, of course this is dependent on your ability.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2020, 9:11 pm

Permie wrote:I’ve shot the 22Z and the CCL quiet rounds, can’t really recall which was which, but they were pretty quiet and worked well enough on rabbits. I do remember the bullet drop being considerable but then that rifle wasn’t zeroed for that ammo. I would have thought an air rifle springer would be quieter, shows what I know, and if not then indeed there is no need to get an air rifle, I will look into cheap but decent used .22lr package.
Longer barrel should equal quieter yes?
Are there any relatively common decent .22lrs than had longer barrels?
Off to trawl through gun listings and google models again, thanks for the posts.

My 1950 BSA Sportsman 5 has a 25" barrel, and is very accurate, but has no means of scoping it.

Air rifles do have some advantages, particularly when shooting up into trees or inside sheds, the very light pellets dump velocity very quickly so they don't travel very far.
Last edited by bladeracer on 08 Mar 2020, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Mar 2020, 9:36 pm

Sending you a pm
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2020, 7:09 am

I would buy a 22lr. Use subonics. The winchester z are v e ry quiet. If you want a bit more oomf later you can use normal ammo. T h e air rifles are way too limited in power. You cant just increase the power in an air rifle by swaping ammo.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Mar 2020, 7:48 am

Matt Gruber, Air Arms SA has some good advice about hunting with air powered rifles. Have a look at his videos.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9IFT9_Pb25I
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Mar 2020, 8:51 am

Here is a vid where he shoots small game with a couple of different air rifles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vWO2KU0vMbQ
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 09 Mar 2020, 12:07 pm

Recently acquired an fx dreamline pcp. When cranked up to max "with out the box settings" it shoots an 18gr pellet at around 880fps. 32fpe. Enough for head shooting rabbits but the noise is in my opinion louder than a 22lr subsonic round (slightly different note though). Even my 12fpe springer has a crack to it. You could run it at lower energy, or a springer with less power and be quieter but it's a trade off for effective/humane range. As much as i love my new pcp I think a 22lr will be cheaper outlay and more suited to the task....either should still be ok on small acreage with good neighbours.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Permie » 09 Mar 2020, 10:22 pm

Thanks for all the posts,
Due to the noise (which I was assuming wrong about) and the range, and for lots of other reasons including that I want to get a .22lr anyway, I will be going that way.
I think on my block it will work out very well for rabbits.
Given I’ve been able to satisfy the want for a nice new gun with the .308 (I’ve bought a nice ex-demo CZ 557 Range- rather an oddball unusual gun in Oz it seems?), I suspect I will end up going for a vintage classic .22, maybe an Anschutz or a Brno or something similar (totally open to suggestions). So long as it is in good straight-shooting working condition, I don’t even ,Ind some serious patina, especially if it makes a good shooting well made collectable and pricey model affordable.
Permie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ScottyD » 10 Mar 2020, 2:37 am

scoot wrote:Recently acquired an fx dreamline pcp. When cranked up to max "with out the box settings" it shoots an 18gr pellet at around 880fps. 32fpe. Enough for head shooting rabbits but the noise is in my opinion louder than a 22lr subsonic round (slightly different note though). Even my 12fpe springer has a crack to it. You could run it at lower energy, or a springer with less power and be quieter but it's a trade off for effective/humane range. As much as i love my new pcp I think a 22lr will be cheaper outlay and more suited to the task....either should still be ok on small acreage with good neighbours.

Hey Scoot, out of curiosity is there a reason you went for the Dreamline as opposed to say the Impact or Crown? I'm assuming it'd be due to cost and/or platform configurability. Apart from the noise, are you happy with the FX overall?

I like the idea of the Dreamline, but am thinking about the Impact a lot. Everyone who knows air rifles all seem to rave about the Impact as the duck's guts. I get the feeling they are very accurate/adjustable, but could be a bit fiddly to deal with (lots to go wrong/adjust). Do you reckon they (the Impacts) are worth the extra money? :crazy:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 10 Mar 2020, 3:49 am

scoot wrote:Recently acquired an fx dreamline pcp. When cranked up to max "with out the box settings" it shoots an 18gr pellet at around 880fps. 32fpe. Enough for head shooting rabbits but the noise is in my opinion louder than a 22lr subsonic round (slightly different note though). Even my 12fpe springer has a crack to it. You could run it at lower energy, or a springer with less power and be quieter but it's a trade off for effective/humane range. As much as i love my new pcp I think a 22lr will be cheaper outlay and more suited to the task....either should still be ok on small acreage with good neighbours.

Hey Scoot, out of curiosity is there a reason you went for the Dreamline as opposed to say the Impact or Crown? I'm assuming it'd be due to cost and/or platform configurability. Apart from the noise, are you happy with the FX overall?

I like the idea of the Dreamline, but am thinking about the Impact a lot. Everyone who knows air rifles all seem to rave about the Impact as the duck's guts. I get the feeling they are very accurate/adjustable, but could be a bit fiddly to deal with (lots to go wrong/adjust). Do you reckon they (the Impacts) are worth the extra money? :crazy:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 10 Mar 2020, 4:02 am

Haha, actually Scoot I just realised I've already hassled you about your Dreamline in another thread. Never mind (unless you've got more recent observations/thoughts to share)
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 10 Mar 2020, 9:50 am

The $1500+ price difference was the main killer. I
didn't really want to spend as much as i did for the dreamline but when looking and comparing it was not much more than anyp "entry level" pcp that I would of been interested in. i only got the dreamline last fortnight (after 6 mth wait) and I've been away, now on shift. I haven't had a lot of time with it yet but first impressions are good. Build quality is nice, feels "easy" to shoot well. I'll post up a bit of a review hopefully in the next few weeks once I've played more so anyone interested can read.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by ScottyD » 14 Mar 2020, 4:03 pm

scoot wrote:The $1500+ price difference was the main killer. I
didn't really want to spend as much as i did for the dreamline but when looking and comparing it was not much more than anyp "entry level" pcp that I would of been interested in. i only got the dreamline last fortnight (after 6 mth wait) and I've been away, now on shift. I haven't had a lot of time with it yet but first impressions are good. Build quality is nice, feels "easy" to shoot well. I'll post up a bit of a review hopefully in the next few weeks once I've played more so anyone interested can read.

Yeah ok, thanks for that mate. I'd appreciate any review/thoughts you might want to share. I keep thinking about the Impact because so many people keep saying its that they're the duck's guts, but it certainly is a big jump up in price. I like the adaptability of the Dreamline, it'd be interesting to hear how it goes.

FWIW I'm also considering the Air Arms 510 Ultimate Sporter, it seems pretty interesting but I guess that's a whole other story. :huh:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Mar 2020, 4:28 pm

Permie wrote:Thanks for all the posts,
Due to the noise (which I was assuming wrong about) and the range, and for lots of other reasons including that I want to get a .22lr anyway, I will be going that way.
I think on my block it will work out very well for rabbits.
Given I’ve been able to satisfy the want for a nice new gun with the .308 (I’ve bought a nice ex-demo CZ 557 Range- rather an oddball unusual gun in Oz it seems?), I suspect I will end up going for a vintage classic .22, maybe an Anschutz or a Brno or something similar (totally open to suggestions). So long as it is in good straight-shooting working condition, I don’t even ,Ind some serious patina, especially if it makes a good shooting well made collectable and pricey model affordable.

Yes a wise move to buy a 22lr.

If you want recommendations sugest u start a new thread giving details of expected use, price range, new or used. Then buy the popcorn. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Permie » 15 Mar 2020, 9:41 pm

[quote="Oldbloke"

Yes a wise move to buy a 22lr.

If you want recommendations sugest u start a new thread giving details of expected use, price range, new or used. Then buy the popcorn. :lol:[/quote]

Cheers, will do now,
Permie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by John » 08 Apr 2020, 4:15 pm

Rabbit hunting is one of my favourites I’ve hunted all sorts of larger game around Australia but still love going out busting a few bunnies I use both my 22. Gamo cfx air rifle and cz22lr depends on the day both are effective and quite enough not bother any one near by I’m having great results and a lot of fun with the air rifle it does take a little more thought behind each shot for clean kills but it’s a great way to hone anyone’s skills.
I have been running crosman 16.7g red flights they perform really well in my cheap gamo and I use cci standards in my cz which again my rifle really likes
A .22lr running subs or standards might be a little easier but air rifles are a lot of fun and addictive I’m finding after many years hunting larger game with big centerfires
I bought my cheap gamo a few months ago just to teach my son to shoot on the cheap and I’m addicted and about to buy a new fx pcp I like them that much
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 08 Apr 2020, 11:45 pm

John wrote:Rabbit hunting is one of my favourites I’ve hunted all sorts of larger game around Australia but still love going out busting a few bunnies I use both my 22. Gamo cfx air rifle and cz22lr depends on the day both are effective and quite enough not bother any one near by I’m having great results and a lot of fun with the air rifle it does take a little more thought behind each shot for clean kills but it’s a great way to hone anyone’s skills.
I have been running crosman 16.7g red flights they perform really well in my cheap gamo and I use cci standards in my cz which again my rifle really likes
A .22lr running subs or standards might be a little easier but air rifles are a lot of fun and addictive I’m finding after many years hunting larger game with big centerfires
I bought my cheap gamo a few months ago just to teach my son to shoot on the cheap and I’m addicted and about to buy a new fx pcp I like them that much

:thumbsup:

Post up some pics & tales some time...

i love shooting bunnies with small cal stuff, but where i shoot them in lucky to get within 120 of them, so i for one would love to hear about your escapades with the little air driven slugs... :clap:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pierre » 23 Apr 2020, 12:25 am

I might not understand the request, but you want something:
- Quiet. I don't know if anything exists quieter than a subsonic .22LR with silencer. But this narrows it all to subsonic, as it is the only way to keep such silence. I possess a .22LR and a HW97K air rifle (20J). The .22LR is much quieter... and you can't even compare the power, it's 10 times more. The loudest part is, by far, the impact noise. BTW the thing that looks like a silencer isn't one, but you can add some home made things for a slight decrease in noise.
- better accuracy ==> only higher weight can give you that, so possibly a subsonic 9mm carbine... But you shouldn't underestimate the power&accuracy of .22LR, it does good on coypus at 50m...

I don't know Australian regulation on silencers though... (I'm from France where they are under the same regulation as cartridges, thus legal, and I really wish your rabbits could come here :D )
pierre
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by rc42 » 23 Apr 2020, 11:07 am

Hi Pierre,

Australian regulation on silencers has them categorized with military equipment such as hand grenades and full auto machine guns but the chances of civilians getting the latter are probably higher.

Without them the quietest 22 rounds are the low velocity LR rounds like CCI Quier, RWS Z Lang and a couple of others, also the 22 Long rounds with 29 grain projectiles are quiet if you can find them as are the CCI Short CB rounds if your chamber will take them.

Most of these suffer from inconsistency as they have so little powder that even small differences start to matter, they are all around air rifle levels of noise and have muzzle energy similar to the more powerful air rifles but probably don't have the long range accuracy of the air rifles..
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by pierre » 23 Apr 2020, 6:15 pm

Hi rc42
Here, they've always been legal to possess, but have only been made legal for hunting recently (january 2018). And this never caused any problems... too bad for you you can't have those.
Without silencer, the noise is indeed very different, and much higher than air rifles. I believe the latter makes more noise due to the spring than due to the air, thus I'm not surprised a very low power firearm may be as quiet.
About long range accuracy, my HW97K (4.5mm) begins being wildly inaccurate past 40m and only gets decent under 30m, while subsonic 22LR are accurate at least at 50m (couldn't try more because of the optics). The problem is obviously the bullet weight : 7 grains vs 40 grains, the air gun bullet gets slowed down much faster; and the influence of even slight wind is higher. At 25m though, the air gun is accurate enough to get headshots on a static rodent. (Which is illegal in France though, no air rifle may be used for hunting.)
good day !
pierre
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles